Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:35 pm
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light
Question Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Just been reading the thread about why people are leaving Spain with great interest as we've now sold the house and will be moving over to Spain in the New Year. Haven't been put off by the all the negatives in the thread but we do take it all on board. Just thought it would be interesting to hear why people have decided to stay in Spain. Some good news amongst all the gloom would be wonderful
Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:46 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Hmm many reasons for me:

1. The fact of being away from the UK. Spent 26 years there, totally bored of the place. Its nice to be somewhere new.
2. Made loads of amazing friends out here whom I'd have never met if I stayed in the UK.
3. Got a good job here.
4. The people here are better, im meeting people from all over europe and beyond, whom i'd never have met in the UK.
5. Its cheaper to live here (well, was until the £ went to crap)
6. Of course the weather. I hate cold weather. I hate winter here but I know a hot long summer is on the way, like it will every year.
7. The diversity of the place. Within a few hours I can be laid on hot beaches. trecking in countryside mountains or snowboarding. I can turn left out of my urbanisation and be on the coast, or turn right and be in the middle of no where with spectacular mountain views.
8. Generally a more relaxed ambience about the place. People are more easy going. None of this blame culture.
9. No chavs. (except in the park in La Linea at night)
10. Safer. You dont hear about people randomly getting knifed or mugged here like you do in the UK. (Especially Gibraltar)
11. A nice summer holiday to the Algarve is a 3 hour drive now. In the UK, I'd have got Skeggy for that

I'd carry on but leaving work now. But im sure others can carry on this list. Theres loads of great reasons to be in Spain. I think its great
Old Dec 17th 2008, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
Hmm many reasons for me:

1. The fact of being away from the UK. Spent 26 years there, totally bored of the place. Its nice to be somewhere new.
2. Made loads of amazing friends out here whom I'd have never met if I stayed in the UK.
3. Got a good job here.
4. The people here are better, im meeting people from all over europe and beyond, whom i'd never have met in the UK.
5. Its cheaper to live here (well, was until the £ went to crap)
6. Of course the weather. I hate cold weather. I hate winter here but I know a hot long summer is on the way, like it will every year.
7. The diversity of the place. Within a few hours I can be laid on hot beaches. trecking in countryside mountains or snowboarding. I can turn left out of my urbanisation and be on the coast, or turn right and be in the middle of no where with spectacular mountain views.
8. Generally a more relaxed ambience about the place. People are more easy going. None of this blame culture.
9. No chavs. (except in the park in La Linea at night)
10. Safer. You dont hear about people randomly getting knifed or mugged here like you do in the UK. (Especially Gibraltar)
11. A nice summer holiday to the Algarve is a 3 hour drive now. In the UK, I'd have got Skeggy for that

I'd carry on but leaving work now. But im sure others can carry on this list. Theres loads of great reasons to be in Spain. I think its great
Are you sure the Algarve is only 3 hours from Estepona. The border bridge takes 1.25 hrs from Sevilla and two years ago it took me much longer than 1.75 hrs to travel from Estapona to Sevilla. I would guess you are looking at the topside of 4-4.5 hrs from Estepona to Faro.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 5:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Are you sure the Algarve is only 3 hours from Estepona. The border bridge takes 1.25 hrs from Sevilla and two years ago it took me much longer than 1.75 hrs to travel from Estapona to Sevilla. I would guess you are looking at the topside of 4-4.5 hrs from Estepona to Faro.
He has got a flying machine. ;-))
Old Dec 17th 2008, 5:48 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
He has got a flying machine. ;-))
I think he's great, he has really made a success of it after moving over alone and also being let down by 'friends'. Well done Andrew, you just about summed it all up.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 6:43 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm you might be right. Perhaps it is a bit further than 3 hours. But im sure i did it pretty quickly before, then again Im a self confessed speeder, especially on those empty motorways up to seville

And thanks Lionda for your kind words
Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:30 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Don´t be pedantic, he´s made a go of it, and that´s what matters.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:38 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JnK
Just been reading the thread about why people are leaving Spain with great interest as we've now sold the house and will be moving over to Spain in the New Year. Haven't been put off by the all the negatives in the thread but we do take it all on board. Just thought it would be interesting to hear why people have decided to stay in Spain. Some good news amongst all the gloom would be wonderful
Of course there are going to be negatives because Spain, like all the EU is going through a recession. We have stayed here because we love it. It´s really cold at the moment but at least we can draw comfort that it´s only for a few months.

There are, obviously, things we don´t like about Spain, i.e. animal welfare, but it is getting better and our two campo dogs and campo cat are testimony to that as we wouldn´t have found them if it wasn´t for our neighbours. . The Spanish people we know have welcomed us so much and, as far as we are concerned, there isn´t that attitude to immigrants that you have in the UK. OH works and I´m retired and, apart from the fact that my pension (in Sterling) doesn´t got that far, we are managing. Good luck with the move.

JJx
Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
Hmm you might be right. Perhaps it is a bit further than 3 hours. But im sure i did it pretty quickly before, then again Im a self confessed speeder, especially on those empty motorways up to seville

And thanks Lionda for your kind words
It takes around 2 and a half hours to get from Marbella to Sevilla. Not sure how much further Portugal is from there.

I love Estepona btw. Taking a walk on the boardwalk on a sunny Sunday afternoon is awesome. If you have family, it is definitely a good area to settle.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Originally Posted by jjh
Don´t be pedantic, he´s made a go of it, and that´s what matters.
I have followed onlines progress down from Barcelona over the last 18 months and I must say he has done remarkably well after an upset right at the start and problems with accomodation in the early stages but I find it grates when people in general quote short times for journeys in Spain. Spain is a vast country compared to UK and it gives a false impression of the size to quote really short times. For instance rental sites often give the time from Sevilla airport to Ayamonte as one hour I travel that route often after 9 pm and the best I can do is one hour 30 mins including the stretch from Huelva, which is very quiet, at 160 km per hour.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:55 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

I have followed onlines progress down from Barcelona over the last 18 months and I must say he has done remarkably well after an upset right at the start and problems with accomodation in the early stages but I find it grates when people in general quote short times for journeys in Spain. Spain is a vast country compared to UK and it gives a false impression of the size to quote really short times. For instance rental sites often give the time from Sevilla airport to Ayamonte as one hour I travel that route often after 9 pm and the best I can do is one hour 30 mins including the stretch from Huelva, which is very quiet, at 160 km per hour.

John & Kath, I have also followed his progress, quietly, and I know the problems he has had, including his personal hurdles. I didn´t mean to be rude to you, although re-reading it, it probably sounded that way. I agree people don´t understand the vastness of Spain but I wanted to give him a bit of slack.

JJ
Old Dec 18th 2008, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JnK
I lived in Hong Kong for thirteen years, going back to the UK every 18 months and realised that I couldn't "go home" as the place I left is not what it is now.
I've been in Spain 7 months now and my only gripe is the loud scooters.(not a hugh problem as I've bought a house way out in the country, therefore teenagers trying to look "cool" on a machine that has all the power of a sewing machine:curse: is a temporary annoyance and far less iritating than the never ending Hong Kong noise of jack-hammering ) I've made quite a few friends, both Spanish and expats. I'm slowly learning the language( my lack of being able to speak fluently in Spanish is not a problem as people try to help by being understanding) and it's a great deal easier to learn Spanish than Cantonese. Because of reasonable planning the currency crisis only affects me slightly (annoying but not as much as listening to expats moan about how they hate staying here,but I can always walk away from moaners).
Jnk , I whole heartedly hope you will like Spain as much as I do good luck on your move
Old Dec 18th 2008, 5:23 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjh
Of course there are going to be negatives because Spain, like all the EU is going through a recession. We have stayed here because we love it. It´s really cold at the moment but at least we can draw comfort that it´s only for a few months.

There are, obviously, things we don´t like about Spain, i.e. animal welfare, but it is getting better and our two campo dogs and campo cat are testimony to that as we wouldn´t have found them if it wasn´t for our neighbours. . The Spanish people we know have welcomed us so much and, as far as we are concerned, there isn´t that attitude to immigrants that you have in the UK. OH works and I´m retired and, apart from the fact that my pension (in Sterling) doesn´t got that far, we are managing. Good luck with the move.

JJx
I found the same but then again, so do Australians or Kiwi's in the UK - I imagine if you or I were a Moroccan immigrant then things might be a little different.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 8:27 am
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks to everyone who has replied it's nice to read about the positive too. Having moved countries twice in my life, I'm aware of the immense difficulties and stresses that go with it. We're also aware that in the 18 months we've been planning the move how much things have changed (house price and sterling plummet) but we still feel it's important to give it a go as we're now both in our 50s and feel that it could possibly be our last chance to have a new life. So thanks again and ... keep the positives coming
Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

baz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nice

hi, my reason? 'i like it here'
Barry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.