Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Old Dec 28th 2008, 5:53 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Originally Posted by arko
I am indeed making sweeping comments based on my privileged position, and that is all I am doing: making a comment on my experience of living in Spain. It wasn’t an attempt to make light of the poverty that can be found in this country, as indeed can be found in abundance in the UK, and I'm sorry if it came across as that.

There are big problems affecting this country that I see everyday living in an area that is also suffering from the economic downturn.

I am lucky as I have my Spanish family living near me so I've been on the receiving end of their charity every time I've needed it. Without sounding too rude, I am just making a comment on how I feel much better off where I am, with much less money than I had in the UK and I really have absolutely no interest in why your parents had to leave. If I did, I'd join 'Spanish expats' and answer to the thread 'Reasons why you are staying in the UK'.

I answered this thread as someone was in need of some positive comments on staying in this country we have chosen as home and my flippant comment was an attempt at that, nothing else.
I understand what you are trying to say. We now live in Spain (so we are not Spanish ex pats) and we are fortunate enough to be able to help our family who have fallen on hard times here in Spain.
I am not just talking about people suffering due to the economic downturn, there is grinding poverty in Spain, and to some people and communities poverty is all they know. It has been the same for years, pitiful wages, not state help etc.
The comment about "having much less money than you had in the UK, still does not make you poor.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all

Originally Posted by me me
I understand what you are trying to say. We now live in Spain (so we are not Spanish ex pats) and we are fortunate enough to be able to help our family who have fallen on hard times here in Spain.
I am not just talking about people suffering due to the economic downturn, there is grinding poverty in Spain, and to some people and communities poverty is all they know. It has been the same for years, pitiful wages, not state help etc.
The comment about "having much less money than you had in the UK, still does not make you poor.
As I don't make comments on people's circumstances without knowing the person's history (I'll overlook your comment on my economic circumstances, of which you have absolutely no idea) I won't presume to know in which part of the UK you were living. I'm assuming it's wasn't in one of the many constituencies which are considered some of the poorest in Europe (pre-EU enlargement). Poverty that has been part and parcel of every day life for generations of families is also a part of British society, but of course, I have no idea about that so I won't make a comment.

Last edited by arko; Dec 28th 2008 at 6:21 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

encodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant future

As I don't make comments on people's circumstances without knowing the person's history (I'll overlook your comment on my economic circumstances, of which you have absolutely no idea) I won't presume to know in which part of the UK you were living. I'm assuming it's wasn't in one of the many constituencies which are considered some of the poorest in Europe (pre-EU enlargement). Poverty that has been part and parcel of every day life for generations of families is also a part of British society, but of course, I have no idea about that so I won't make a comment.
No comments best as most Countries have rich and poor areas....but few as poor as in the African continent...(excluding a few of the leaders...but not all of them)
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all

Originally Posted by encodeme
No comments best as most Countries have rich and poor areas....but few as poor as in the African continent...(excluding a few of the leaders...but not all of them)
We can debate it in the 'Chad' forum
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

encodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant future

We can debate it in the 'Chad' forum
Oh...are you in need of a sugar fix ?
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by encodeme
Oh...are you in need of a sugar fix ?
Definitely not. Just polished off the tin of 'Roses' I was sent So, why are you staying in Spain?
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Definitely not. Just polished off the tin of 'Roses' I was sent So, why are you staying in Spain?
I only ever pass through Spain....galloping horse and all that
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:13 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I can only presume that this business of queue jumping etc depends on where you live because my experience is totally opposite. People around here check up on who is the last one in the queue then make sure that they join on appropriately.

Rosemary
They don't the meaning of the word "Queue" down this way, in the doctors they had to put a ticket machine on the wall even though there was an appointment system working or not as the case may be
Old Dec 29th 2008, 8:01 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispy
They don't the meaning of the word "Queue" down this way, in the doctors they had to put a ticket machine on the wall even though there was an appointment system working or not as the case may be
Strange how much difference there are between areas. When OH went for his flu injection one woman was torm off a strip for going in front of him. Even outside the post office they are great about correct queueing, it does not open until 12.15 so if it is too sunny people hover in the shade across the road but you can guarantee that you will go in in the correct order. No matter where you queue in the town the last person entering always asks who is the last in the queue because people do not necessarily stand in line due to chatting to each other.

Saying that we live in quite a small place where everyone knows everyone else so maybe that is why they are so good.

Rosemary
Old Dec 29th 2008, 8:09 am
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks again everybody house sale still going okay so can't wait to begin the next chapter in our lives in Spain ... and we'll take the bad as well as the good Happy New Year everyone wherever you are
Old Dec 29th 2008, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JnK
Thanks again everybody house sale still going okay so can't wait to begin the next chapter in our lives in Spain ... and we'll take the bad as well as the good Happy New Year everyone wherever you are
Happy New Year, and good luck with the next chapter
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:03 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Strange how much difference there are between areas. When OH went for his flu injection one woman was torm off a strip for going in front of him. Even outside the post office they are great about correct queueing, it does not open until 12.15 so if it is too sunny people hover in the shade across the road but you can guarantee that you will go in in the correct order. No matter where you queue in the town the last person entering always asks who is the last in the queue because people do not necessarily stand in line due to chatting to each other.

Saying that we live in quite a small place where everyone knows everyone else so maybe that is why they are so good.

Rosemary

At the beginning of the year they put a ticket machine in the post office because of the arguements, the only place I know off where the peeps ask who is last is in the private clinic I go to for the family doctor, they don't even keep to their appointments in the clinics for the consultants. When I was under the heart doctor everytime I went someone tried to jump in before me but the doctor just shushed them out of the room and shouted CHRISTINA MARY.....that was me Even have people soming into the consultation room without knocking asking if they could be seen now so the doctors have to lock the rooms now.

It's murder in the market but I stand my ground, I'm taller than most Spanish lady's so I just take a deep breath, shove me boobs out, grow about 6 inches in height and say very loudly PARDON.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

Well at the medical centre in Conil they have always asked who is ' la ultima' never failed, but now they have installed a ticket system hidden so well that no one can find it. Never have a problem anywhere else regarding who is next in the queue.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

annerock is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JnK
Thanks to everyone who has replied it's nice to read about the positive too. Having moved countries twice in my life, I'm aware of the immense difficulties and stresses that go with it. We're also aware that in the 18 months we've been planning the move how much things have changed (house price and sterling plummet) but we still feel it's important to give it a go as we're now both in our 50s and feel that it could possibly be our last chance to have a new life. So thanks again and ... keep the positives coming
Hi,

We are moving to Spain as soon as we have sold our House(don't hold your breath) but will get by with 2 houses until the time is right. We are still positive and can't wait to come over permantly and start a new life together.

Where looking forward to the warm and hot weather away from the real cold its 0 outside as I am typing this. We are in our 50 so this is the right time for us even if someone has switched the light of for the world we all need to be positive.

Last edited by annerock; Dec 29th 2008 at 3:38 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 29th 2008, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

annerock is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by annerock
Hi,

We are moving to Spain as soon as we have sold our House(don't hold your breath) but will get by with 2 houses until the time is right. We are still positive and can't wait to come over permantly and start a new life together.

Where looking forward to the warm and hot weather away from the real cold its 0 outside as I am typing this. We are in our 50 so this is the right time for us even if someone has switched the light of for the world we all need to be positive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.