Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Spain isn't as rosy as most people think it is, especially if you are at a working age it can be damn hard and for little money.
Ive been over in the costa's now for 10 years and we are ready to pack up and move back to the uk. People get this idea also of how cheap things are too.Well not any more. When we had the pesatas we used to get good value but now things are pretty much on par with the uk and in some cases more expensive.

My advice is if you are young and single then it's a great life to have, especially on the tourist areas cos you can meet tons of other young people earning a bit here and there so they can go out on the beer most nights til 7am and get a cracking tan on the beach in the day but when you are past all that in in your 30's and want to earn real money, perhaps get on the property ladder and get a pension behind you then Spain is not the place to be.

Ive seen people come over here with a few grand who leave good jobs in the uk and end up working in a bar for 30 euros a night til 2am and end up going back after a few years.
I think Spain is fantastic if you are in a financial position just to do small bits of work or you own your own business that is fairly sucessful but apart from that its not the bed of roses some might think.
Its a case of whether you want good weather or a good wage. If any brit is thinking of moving over here to look for a job then don't expect to be earning loads of cash.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 6:44 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jo-ann
Well at the medical centre in Conil they have always asked who is ' la ultima' never failed, but now they have installed a ticket system hidden so well that no one can find it. Never have a problem anywhere else regarding who is next in the queue.
Yeah but Jo-ann you is posh peeps in Conil not like us Chiclanero's
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

bil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by crispy
Yeah but Jo-ann you is posh peeps in Conil not like us Chiclanero's
Wotcha Crispy. I have finally managed to get all my beans in line enough to get back on here.

Yet another ´what do you like about the place´thread eh? Fascinating to read the different viewpoints. There are some things which are cheaper in the UK, but the last time I looked, it certainly wasn´t petrol or council tax. Diesel was 98p as compared to 80 something cents here.

I love the light here, the weather and the close knit nature of the people where we are. It´s very much like I was always told it used to be like in certain areas of the UK. Not perfect, but with a lot of people looking out for each other. Never ceases to amaze me how people here I saw briefly a while back remember me and greet me pleasantly.

People, including complete strangers smile more and are quick to speak.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:42 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Goody
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

bil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nicebil.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Oh Goody
Hallo ducky. Pleased to see me back?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:56 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil.w
If I say yes will you promise to pretend I died in a Paris Tunnel?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

I always thought those long dresses suited you far better.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:11 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Wotcha Crispy. I have finally managed to get all my beans in line enough to get back on here.

Yet another ´what do you like about the place´thread eh? Fascinating to read the different viewpoints. There are some things which are cheaper in the UK, but the last time I looked, it certainly wasn´t petrol or council tax. Diesel was 98p as compared to 80 something cents here.

I love the light here, the weather and the close knit nature of the people where we are. It´s very much like I was always told it used to be like in certain areas of the UK. Not perfect, but with a lot of people looking out for each other. Never ceases to amaze me how people here I saw briefly a while back remember me and greet me pleasantly.

Hola Bil, welcome home, I just know Matt has been missing you

Friend coming home form hospital today but Mal now has a dreadful cold will ring you as soon as he is feeling better. XXX

Last edited by crispy; Dec 30th 2008 at 2:08 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:09 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am. I was asking about you recently.

JJ
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:23 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

ah so it is you

why the name change?
Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the kind words.

Yep, it's me. Lost my password, changed my email etc etc etc and it was easier just to re register.

Tell Mal I'm sorry to hear he is ill. Look forward to seeing you both ere long.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

bil!!! Welcome back. I missed you xxx So did Matt no matter what he says...
Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:37 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by DebsyW
bil!!! Welcome back. I missed you xxx So did Matt no matter what he says...
I have absolutely no problems putting you on ignore you know lady, you will join a very salubrious list!
Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I have absolutely no problems putting you on ignore you know lady, you will join a very salubrious list!
If you are going to ignore me then I want to be the ONLY ONE that you ignore. Bet it`s a happy day for you today eh, your old pal back. I can imagine all the days you`ve counted scraped into the metal in the back of your landrover.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:45 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by DebsyW
If you are going to ignore me then I want to be the ONLY ONE that you ignore. Bet it`s a happy day for you today eh, your old pal back. I can imagine all the days you`ve counted scraped into the metal in the back of your landrover.
All I can say is that I am glad I have a big contract starting in Mid January, it means I don't have to endure too much of it........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.