Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The power of prayer

The power of prayer

Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The power of prayer

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
God inspired words to be written. Of course He didn't write it Himself. Otherwise He might as well have sent a copy by airmail.

The original manuscripts were faithfully written as per God's words.
Then they were copied by scribes. That can lead to small errors. Translation can lead to other errors, but not really enough to detract from the principle of what was being said. Especially when there are teams of researchers poring over every word.
Maybe God inspired these words to be written:

Bullocks

Although there may have been a small error with the spell check
Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:50 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

God inspired words to be written. Of course He didn't write it Himself. Otherwise He might as well have sent a copy by airmail.

Then they were copied by scribes. That can lead to small errors. Translation can lead to other errors, but not really enough to detract from the principle of what was being said. Especially when there are teams of researchers poring over every word.
so your god can talk ok but not write??? Sorry, you're views are wasted on me. I respect that you believe and it gives you solace. I'm not in need of this kinda stuff - too much controversy, the bible is too contradictory, religion is too full of nonsense rituals and mumbo jumbo and I cant see the point or need - sorry, no malice intended, we're all different afterall. Me and my God arent into all that stuff

Jo xxx
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:02 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Bill was good with these sort of threads
Old Apr 24th 2012, 6:40 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Following on from what I wrote before:

Suffice it to say that I realised when I was 30, that there was a whole dimension to life that I never even knew existed -the spiritual and super natural. I did not become a Christian through reading the Bible or going to church. I did neither of these things until AFTER I had come to faith.

It is something I cannot explain to anyone else because it was personal to me. I can tell the details, but there was far more than that going on.

The Bible is God-inspired, it is not dictation as the Qu'ran claims to be. God inspired the scribes as to what to write about and they wrote it in their own words.

Last edited by scampicat; Apr 24th 2012 at 6:50 am.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 7:35 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever I hear people say that their God is better than anyone else's God, I despair. It just doesn't make sense. From our narrow point of view we mainly compare our Bible to the Koran, I don't know the numbers, but hundreds of millions of people believe that one is better than the other.

It has caused wars for hundreds of years and will continue to do so.

The Prayers on both sides sit in their places of worship, with or without shoes, and pray for war.

It's f****** silly.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 7:46 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Whenever I hear people say that their God is better than anyone else's God, I despair. It just doesn't make sense. From our narrow point of view we mainly compare our Bible to the Koran, I don't know the numbers, but hundreds of millions of people believe that one is better than the other.

It has caused wars for hundreds of years and will continue to do so.

The Prayers on both sides sit in their places of worship, with or without shoes, and pray for war.

It's f****** silly.
I do not know anybody who prays for war. If we pray for Muslims, we pray that they will experience God's love.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:00 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
I do not know anybody who prays for war. If we pray for Muslims, we pray that they will experience God's love.
...... and they pray that you will experience their gods love - God, theirs, your or anyone elses has nothing to do with it

Jo xxx
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:10 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that muslims prayed for the death of any non-believers, not exactly tolerant are they
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:17 am
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I thought that muslims prayed for the death of any non-believers, not exactly tolerant are they
AFAIK, they do.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:20 am
squeaky clean

Therein lies the problem. Maybe there are two Gods or maybe religion is nothing to do with god atall, but man using a god to justify his greed and need to control (both muslims and christians)????? This was why I decided religion is a crock of nonsense. All religions believe they're right and the others are wrong??!

Jo xx
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:51 am
Banned

As i said i don't have any time for religion but I think the Christian religion should be given more respect. If not it will die and knowing human nature, many people have to have something to believe in. If the christian religion is thrown off and discounted then people will look elsewhere...and I would hate to think the consequences of that.

My school had a chapel, we had a half hour service every morning, it was a bore. In a way I may have been brainwashed but not to the extent that I actually believed. What I do remember when I think back is that I could not fault the basic stuff we were taught.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 9:01 am
squeaky clean

As i said i don't have any time for religion but I think the Christian religion should be given more respect. If not it will die and knowing human nature, many people have to have something to believe in. If the christian religion is thrown off and discounted then people will look elsewhere...and I would hate to think the consequences of that.

My school had a chapel, we had a half hour service every morning, it was a bore. In a way I may have been brainwashed but not to the extent that I actually believed. What I do remember when I think back is that I could not fault the basic stuff we were taught.
I agree that there are people who need religion, I know a few born again christians and its their world and saved them from the depths of despair. I also knwo some elderly who have nothing else in their lives but their church lives and friends, its good, it helps those who need it. What I dont like is the "holier than thou" attitude and the wars that are fought in the name of god, the silly rituals and above all the total inferiority of the whole christian faith. I always remember a sermon (when I was a church goer) stating that us mere mortals were not fit to eat the crumbs under gods table - er........ what has that got to do with anything, where is this table and the crumbs??????? Then you get muslims whose faith and beliefs are just as strong, then of course there are all the other religions and sub religions...........None of it seems to have anything to do with God IMO!

Jo xxx
Old Apr 24th 2012, 9:03 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Millions of Christians believe one set of beliefs, millions of Muslims believe another. Millions of Jews believe something else and millions of atheists believe something else again.

Whichever way you look at it, millions of people are wrong.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 9:45 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

What a palava, God inspires things to be written, then inspires the editing process, but does not inspire the scribes nor the translators; nor does he chose to inspire the writers of all the none canonical books to do something more productive instead; and avoid the editing process.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 9:52 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Name me, without Googling (which I doubt very much) 10 religions. People always talk about religion and what they actually mean is Islam and Christianity and to a lesser degree Judaism. Thats what always annoys me, oh and Buddhism isn't a lifestyle choice, its a following of the teachings of Gautama Buddha and its comments like that, that show exactly what I am talking about... ignorance.
It might be ethnocentric, but that is what most people do mean when discussing religion, it is all about people of the book. I am not sure why you are viewing it as ignorance. If I say there is nothing on any TV channels this evening, I am not including every channel in the world, just the ones I get reception for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.