Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The power of prayer

The power of prayer

Old Apr 23rd 2012, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The power of prayer

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Which makes talking about God (christian or otherwise) and religion pointless

Jo xxx
Pointless, no, I don't think so.

As a Christian, I cannot prove there is a God any more than Richard Dawkins can prove that there isn't.

In the end, it comes down to personal belief & faith.

Sorry, I just get "defensive" when people dismiss Christianity & God as a fairy story etc, which is what I often read in comments to articles in the British press.
The bible is not an easy book to read, especially the Old Testament, which many dismiss as being totally irrelevant. Which is why, over the years, we have benefited from bible study groups where someone has a fair bit of expertise to explain things.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 1:41 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi

As a Christian, I cannot prove there is a God any more than Richard Dawkins can prove that there isn't.

Sorry, I just get "defensive" when people dismiss Christianity & God as a fairy story etc, which is what I often read in comments to articles in the British press.
The bible is not an easy book to read, especially the Old Testament, which many dismiss as being totally irrelevant. Which is why, over the years, we have benefited from bible study groups where someone has a fair bit of expertise to explain things.
There is no need to be defensive, no one is attacking. As I say, my belief in God isnt something I will discuss, other than to say, my God is my friend. Its organised religion that, in my opinion has nothing to do with god and does nothing but cause hatred! In fact when you look at all the various religions around the world, I cant see where on earth god fits in to any of them. And the bible was written by men and translated, altered amended etc by several men. I'm not sure God was involved!

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; Apr 23rd 2012 at 1:44 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 1:56 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I just cannot believe in an all powerful and good God when he allows earthquakes and tsunamis to cause so much suffering. Why doesn't he stop them?
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

The Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
I just cannot believe in an all powerful and good God when he allows earthquakes and tsunamis to cause so much suffering. Why doesn't he stop them?
Christ!!

Dear Pope, send me some hope or a rope to do me in!
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Shakespeare isnt easy to read either, but I dont believe that Shakespeare created the world

People can believe what they want. My problem is that Christianity is assumed all the time, as much in British society as in Spanish society.

The weird thing is that most British people are essentially aesthiest nowadays but still dont mind the schools brainwashing their children with Christian fairy tails. Weird.

Btw, the complete works of Shakespeare provide more insight into human ways that the Bible. In fact, so do the works of Plato and the other Greek clasicists. Thats what we should be pushing on our children every Sunday (if we feel they lack morality)

Last edited by cricketman; Apr 23rd 2012 at 2:54 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 3:40 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and such dreadful painful deaths if there were a god I wouldn't like him anyway

What I find strange in Spain, very few of the younger generation visit churches, yet they go through the whole confirmation thing. My friend's Son was really struggling with his school work, had been put back a year. He was sent more than once a week to the Priests house for religious teaching which they are obliged to do. We picked him up once and about 20 unhappy looking kids filed out.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Yes and such dreadful painful deaths if there were a god I wouldn't like him anyway

What I find strange in Spain, very few of the younger generation visit churches, yet they go through the whole confirmation thing. My friend's Son was really struggling with his school work, had been put back a year. He was sent more than once a week to the Priests house for religious teaching which they are obliged to do. We picked him up once and about 20 unhappy looking kids filed out.
Its just a tradition, an excuse for a party and a get-together

It also depends on the part of the country you are in, they are much more religious in Andalucia than in Catalunya for example

A teammate at football once said to me he didnt have a weekend free for 2 months because it was confirmation season. The team mate was a 21 year old Andalucian. It was a big surprise to me but then I guess it is nice that he goes to family events every weekend.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 4:12 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I ama practising Christian who camre to belief in 1980 when I was 30, from atheism.

I totally believe in the power of prayer.

However, it is not like putting 20p in a slot machine and getting a chocolate bar out. Prayer is always answered, but sometimes the answer is 'no' or 'wait'.

I agree with retired in euzkadi that 'religion' stems from personal experience.. Certainly that is why I became a Christian after having been an atheist.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 4:13 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

How? Stop the laws of physics (which he created!) from working?
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 4:17 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Beast
Christ!!

Dear Pope, send me some hope or a rope to do me in!
I have absolutely no idea what you mean nor why you said that.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 4:18 am
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by scampicat
How? Stop the laws of physics (which he created!) from working?
Couldn't he?

And why did he create them so badly (if indeed he did)?

Last edited by jimenato; Apr 23rd 2012 at 4:21 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

The Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond repute

I have absolutely no idea what you mean nor why you said that.
Exasperation!
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 4:42 am
Ex Expat

Couldn't he?

And why did he create them so badly (if indeed he did)?
He didn't create them badly.

That's how the laws of physics work. If we have wind and water, then ther's always a chance a tsunami may happen. That's how God set the world up to work. It has to have physical laws in place so it can function.

I believe thta God can, if he wishes, over-ride the laws of physics and very, very occasionally does so. But usually the physical planet just ticks along doing it's thing, which includes tsumamis.

The important thing as far as humanity is concerned, is our relationship with God.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 5:42 am
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by scampicat
He didn't create them badly.

That's how the laws of physics work. If we have wind and water, then ther's always a chance a tsunami may happen. That's how God set the world up to work. It has to have physical laws in place so it can function.

I believe thta God can, if he wishes, over-ride the laws of physics and very, very occasionally does so. But usually the physical planet just ticks along doing it's thing, which includes tsumamis.

The important thing as far as humanity is concerned, is our relationship with God.
But couldn't God have set the world up to be just nice - with everybody happy all the time? He is all powerful after all... Why did he create unhappiness?
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 5:49 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

But couldn't God have set the world up to be just nice - with everybody happy all the time? He is all powerful after all... Why did he create unhappiness?
Yup, but that's logical thinking. religion is all about death and destruction contradictions to forgiveness.

I really wish I did believe in some super power (and I don't mean the EU) It must be very comforting to have total belief.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.