Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New entry travel rules from non EU / Schengen countries

New entry travel rules from non EU / Schengen countries

Old Aug 7th 2022, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

dave7777 has a reputation beyond reputedave7777 has a reputation beyond reputedave7777 has a reputation beyond reputedave7777 has a reputation beyond reputedave7777 has a reputation beyond reputedave7777 has a reputation beyond reputedave7777 has a reputation beyond reputedave7777 has a reputation beyond reputedave7777 has a reputation beyond reputedave7777 has a reputation beyond reputedave7777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New entry travel rules from non EU / Schengen countries

Originally Posted by Lou71
This forum is frequented by a lot of wannabees who still live in the UK.
I assumed as you quoted a previous poster who was replying to me, when you posted it. No worries
Old Aug 7th 2022, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

dave7777 has a reputation beyond reputedave7777 has a reputation beyond reputedave7777 has a reputation beyond reputedave7777 has a reputation beyond reputedave7777 has a reputation beyond reputedave7777 has a reputation beyond reputedave7777 has a reputation beyond reputedave7777 has a reputation beyond reputedave7777 has a reputation beyond reputedave7777 has a reputation beyond reputedave7777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Please re-read the title of the thread and revert back to that discussion rather than continuing with your pettiness.

Rosemary
No problem. apologies
Old Aug 8th 2022, 3:48 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
I don’t care what rules the Spanish government make anymore as moving over to a country where I have to do a days graft for less money in 40+ degrees is not for me.
Schengen entry rules are the same all over the Schengen area, in case it's somehow not clear to you yet.

The only slight difference you'll find is how high the daily allowance is set, if you're asked to prove you have financial means, and how you might show you're visiting a private household if you're asked to prove where you're staying, but they're all variations on the same theme.

This was perhaps a news story on the 31st of December 2020, it should have been a news story before the 23rd of June 2016, but it's a tribute to how bad the UK press is that they're all suddenly making it a news story in August 2022... first by Reach's local newspapers, then Reach's most rabid newspaper (The Express which for some reason put Britons will be somehow forced to spend €100 per day in the headline) and then finally the Sun and the Mail jumped on the badwagon.

Anyway, looking forward to this kicking off again next year when the allowance is revised.
Old Aug 10th 2022, 9:37 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​​​Since Brexit, new rules apply. Many, many people didn't know this. I knew most of the rules, but didn't realise that (technically) I should give a 'letter of invitation' to my UK friends who visit my home in Spain. I wasn't fully up to speed with this. Its why I started this thread, and gave the official info, after seeing a lot of news on the different TV news shows about this. Like many rules, countries decide how far to enforce them.

Spain went public to say that they were prepared to enforce them. See my earlier posts. Its this that kicked off the discussion and complaints from both travellers and Spanish tourist businesses.... and after a while, the press got involved, and the Spanish tourist board again repeated the policy.. officially again. IMO the press can't be blamed for this. TUI has seen a drop in business as a result.. and took steps to explain (see earlier posts). Though bottom line, the new rules still are in place, the explanation doesn't change the facts.

Its hardly surprising that this kicked off at the start of the holiday season - when people can actually be bothered with the rules.

Also I don't blame Spain for telling people what the rules are... Its good to let people know.

I have close friends in UK who rarely travel abroad, its a real treat when they do. A lot of their holiday allowance from work... Is on 'grandparent duty'!! They aren't studying the Shengen rulebook daily!!!

I remain sure that in practice, there will be minimal impact on travellers, zero for most. But its good to (at least) know the rules. I feel 'honour-bound' now to let them know the rules, and will gladly provide them a letter of invitation.

I remain flummoxed as to why online printouts of bank statements, credit card statements even bank letters etc arent accepted (technically). Thankfully that doesn't apply to airline 'tickets'... That's all online now, so have to be printed for proof, or shown on a phones screen. I cant remember the last time I held an actual airline ticket with the multiple pages carbon copy etc! Its as easy to 'doctor' an online ticket, as it is a bank statement! Crazy! But its the Spanish authorities that told us this.

Whilst the rulebook exists, across EU/Schengen countries, I haven't heard other EU countries take such a pro-active stance as Spain have done.

Again its good to know, and its up to us to decide how far we go to follow the rules, especially as its highly unlikely for most Travelers to be asked all this on entry.... But we can't complain if asked, and we haven't got the proof that they want.

Again most travellers arent reading the Schengen rulebook daily.

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Aug 10th 2022 at 9:41 am.
Old Aug 10th 2022, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

It's down to traveler to be informed about rules of country they visit, this doesn't just apply to EU destinations.
Ignorance is never a excuse!!!

None needs to daily read Schengen rule book. Short info is always available on uk,gov and destination embassy pages. These rules are not state secrets.
It's common sense to check up on latest travel advice before travel, as rules can change.
Old Aug 10th 2022, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Errrr... After all that, your only point is that it isn't new. !! 1 word!! And capitalised bold letters too.

I mentioned that this could apply in all Schengen countries.

In fact if Spain has decided now (or recently) to apply rules they didn't apply before.. AND .... have gone public, then ... these are actually "new"!! For all intents and purposes.

There are other far more important things to get concerned about !
Jon
My post are not based on pro rata to previous post. Quantity doesn't mean quality.
I take it some people are scared of capital & bold letters, some are scared of spiders.
Old Aug 10th 2022, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I think if we go backwards we used to book our holidays through travel agents. The excitement of collecting the latest brochure and deciding where to go. Part of that process was the travel agent gave you all the information required (my experience anyway) if you needed jabs, or if going to Turkey the need for each passenger to have a crisp new ten pound note etc. These days most people either book direct flying Easyjet Ryanair etc. They don't get such advice on the requirements as they did from travel agents. So it's now down to them to ensure they do the research.
Old Aug 10th 2022, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I think if we go backwards we used to book our holidays through travel agents. The excitement of collecting the latest brochure and deciding where to go. Part of that process was the travel agent gave you all the information required (my experience anyway) if you needed jabs, or if going to Turkey the need for each passenger to have a crisp new ten pound note etc. These days most people either book direct flying Easyjet Ryanair etc. They don't get such advice on the requirements as they did from travel agents. So it's now down to them to ensure they do the research.
You make a good point and maybe we should go back to the old ways. A friend does all his own research, prints it off and goes to Viajes El Corte Ingles with what he wants. He pays a little extra but it means he's covered for all eventualities, essential during these times.
Old Aug 10th 2022, 3:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanNico
You make a good point and maybe we should go back to the old ways. A friend does all his own research, prints it off and goes to Viajes El Corte Ingles with what he wants. He pays a little extra but it means he's covered for all eventualities, essential during these times.
Does leave the issue of what happens if the rules change, though. Look how often travel rules have changed due to covid. Even if one books through a travel agent, its still a good idea to do one's own research shortly before travelling. Also one can't always rely on the travel agent's getting everything correct - for instance over the years we have had several people on the Australia forum who have been issued with visitor's visas/ETAs by travel agents, and then they only realise much later that they should not have been given them but should have applied for a full tourist visa. The usual reason has been that the agent's haven't asked a crucial question, such as whether the person has a criminal record.
Old Aug 10th 2022, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

This is perfectly correct and the main reason why people had no issues with travel.
In the bad old days we went to the Caribbean and were advised to have the yellow fever jab by the travel agent, we had this and it was checked or else we would have been stopped from entry.

These days people book online without even checking what the weather will be like.
For instance my wife was listening to a couple in a bar last week complaining that the airline refused to do anything about checking times at the hotel. It appeared that they were allowed to fly in at 10am but were not allowed to check in until 2pm. The lady was considering suing the airline... Go figure eh???

Old Aug 10th 2022, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
This is perfectly correct and the main reason why people had no issues with travel.
In the bad old days we went to the Caribbean and were advised to have the yellow fever jab by the travel agent, we had this and it was checked or else we would have been stopped from entry.

These days people book online without even checking what the weather will be like.
For instance my wife was listening to a couple in a bar last week complaining that the airline refused to do anything about checking times at the hotel. It appeared that they were allowed to fly in at 10am but were not allowed to check in until 2pm. The lady was considering suing the airline... Go figure eh???
Got to agree re covid it was changing so quick the only way was to keep yourself on top of changes.
Old Aug 11th 2022, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Got to agree re covid it was changing so quick the only way was to keep yourself on top of changes.
And people need to remember to take personal responsibility for themselves.
Old Aug 11th 2022, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VEDShappy
100% agree.

In the dark days of travel agents selling out of brochures we didn’t have any means to research (no internet), now there are no excuses although there is also a lot of misinformation which can at times be challenging for some people to wade through.
Old Aug 11th 2022, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by UKMS
100% agree.

In the dark days of travel agents selling out of brochures we didn’t have any means to research (no internet), now there are no excuses although there is also a lot of misinformation which can at times be challenging for some people to wade through.
The point I am making re the travel agents in the past. Yes the system has progressed and many have the ability to research themselves via the Internet. One could always research if they so wished pre Internet libraries etc. However only point I made and was an observation really is that back then that was part of the service that the travel agent provided. I don't think anyone is excusing lack of personal research these days. Not everyone is computer literate though many elderly are but some just use their mobile phone for calling and texting. As said my original comment re this, it was merely an observation. Technology has in many ways made travel easier but along the way we have actually lost some of the old fashioned service we used to have.

Last edited by bobd22; Aug 11th 2022 at 8:44 am.
Old Aug 11th 2022, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by VEDShappy
I think that goes without question to be fair if you take responsibility for organising your trip then you have to ensure you do your research or face the consequences if the wheel comes off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.