Moving back !

Old May 13th 2009, 8:36 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back !

Its amazing, someone posts on the forum and says they are leaving, expresses their feelings about their life experiences in Spain and lets face it, they are THEIR experiences, and it turns into a witch hunt against them.

I lived for some time in Spain and because of my Basque GF I lived in a Spanish community, a Basque community and almost never, except for visiting family, interacted with the British, but I can tell you now, the Spanish I lived with, and they were nice, friendly, sociable people, many working in the tourist industry on the whole HATED us Brits.

It wasn't just the English, it was all of us, and it wasn't so much the fact that we were loud, brash, rude and obnoxious, it was the total lack of resect we had for almost anything we interacted with. I have friends who owned and ran a brilliant Tapas bar in one place I lived and they called us Brits the Piglets when they would come in to eat. The sight of a load of sunfried Brits eating Tapas with their hands was abhorrent for them, and when you tried to explain to them why the Spanish had a dislike for people eating with their hands (cue the smart arse replies about eating with our hands!) the Brits would just laugh and say that it wasn't their culture so why should they worry.

Now I know I am generalising here but sadly thats what we do as humans, and thats what my mates used to do. I absolutely love Spain, the Spanish are a lovely people, and having been born and raised in the Middle East I find them, unsurprisingly I know, very similar in nature and character, and many Brits don't and can't understand that nature, its the Anglo Blood in us, but don't think for one second that its a Spanish thing, or a British thing, people are, on the whole, parochial, we have our groups, our circles and we HATE people to enter that circle or be part of any other circle, we love to visit, to experience other circles, love the buzz of being involved in other circles, but at the end of the day, we always return to our circle, in one way or another!

Now, please people, wish Himnher every luck in the future, congratulate them for making a go of it in Spain, support them for making the brave decision to return home and cut them some bloody slack! Its hard enough in life without being judged and having fingers wagged at you by people desperate to make their point over everyone elses!

So.................... back on subject.
Old May 13th 2009, 8:48 am
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by Relampago
If we all are racist (and you, an angel of light) then I deduce that you should be masochistic or idiotic because you live here. I remarked a comment without insulting to nobody, not like you or the person that opened the post, that you are very versed in the easy insult
If your not from the UK, you`ll soon realise that brits judge everybody and take extreme offence at being judged.

Sorry, but that is how brits come accross.

I`m sure not everyone is the same.

But the amount of times I`ve heard brits shout at Spaniards when there in bars, its not that there deaf, they just don`t understand your accent or phrase.

If you react badly, they will just do it even more, thats because your in there country, being disrespectful to them.

Sorry but brits who live in Spain and do this need a good ....... ......... ........

I was once expalined by a Spaniard that he knows more English than the brits he meets, but he learnt proper lingo, now wat i meen.He was taught in a class how to converse, something many brits have lost.
Old May 13th 2009, 9:13 am
Account Closed

kaff99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Unlike Hondon Voyagers daughter who has been here since she was 7, my daughter has only been here since she was 9. (We have only been here a year.)

My other daughter was 5 when we came and it would break my heart to take her back to the UK at the aged of 12. She has settled nicely and loves it here. She too does not want to go back.

For my eldest she would cope and be happy either way - going back to the UK or staying in Spain. It's up to us as parents to do what is best for the kids - they come first.

For HimnHer's son who has been here since he was 10 - and he has only been here 2 years - he will fit back into the UK just fine. So good for you guys.

Last edited by kaff99; May 13th 2009 at 10:50 am. Reason: bad grammar
Old May 13th 2009, 9:14 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Its amazing, someone posts on the forum and says they are leaving, expresses their feelings about their life experiences in Spain and lets face it, they are THEIR experiences, and it turns into a witch hunt against them.

Now, please people, wish Himnher every luck in the future, congratulate them for making a go of it in Spain, support them for making the brave decision to return home and cut them some bloody slack! Its hard enough in life without being judged and having fingers wagged at you by people desperate to make their point over everyone elses!

Err .... its a discussion forum
Whilst I'm sure everyone wishes them the best, its obviously an important subject for many, returning home. I dont think its a witch hunt, just people expressing their opinions about why people return home in general
Old May 13th 2009, 9:18 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Whilst I'm sure everyone wishes them the best, its obviously an important subject for many, returning home. I dont think its a witch hunt, just people expressing their opinions about why people return home in general
You know what's going to happen, its going to turn into a bitch fest, you will end up with two camps, the for's, the against, and its not people expressing an opinion about why people return its about people trying to get one up on the other posters, and to be honest, the crap written about how angelic and wonderful the Spanish are compared to the British is laughable and will just lead to more bitchiness.....

And you know it!
Old May 13th 2009, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

HimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to all

Thanks for that Rugbymatt and Kaff.My wife and i have been sitting here going through all these posts,wondering why has it got out of hand,this was my first post...............Well we are moving back to England in just under 3 weeks time,from Spain.We moved here 2 years ago with our 10 yr old son (now 12 )a dog and 2 cats.Things were ok but never brilliant,our son did very well at school and is fluent Spanish,we know some but not as good as him! We have had to wait for 8 months due to the animals having their jabs,plus we are taking 2 extra dogs back with us as our dog we brought out had 11 pups here a year ago!Anyway just want to say we are glad we came and tried it,i think some people love it here more then others,we dont hate it but there are so many things we miss.................some silly things too,like carpets,central heating in winter,food shops,chinese,indian,kebab and all the other take away places u can order late at night and get them delivered!This might sound silly,but christmas at home,all the atmosphere in the towns during that time of year,the hustle and bustle,christmas carols and father xmases on the street!
Sorry i am going on a bit and getting boring.........anyone else who are moving back to,well i hope it all goes smooth for you and when u get back you appreciate what you have in OUR country and make the most of it!
Anyway im sure i might come on here b4 we go as it might be a while b4 we get online back home. Thanks for reading.

That was all i said,nothing about rascism,nothing about the Spanish being rude etc..........surely ur 1st post is really the dictator of what you want to talk about! Maybe it was that Spanish bloke that screwed it up eh!!!
Old May 13th 2009, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold

I am a great believer in that you reap what you sew.
In the 3 odd years I have been here and the 5 years we have owned property here I have seen little of the nefgativity of which you speak.

All the Spanish tradesmen I have used have been completely fair in my dealings with them. My Spanish neighbour, far from trying to take advantage of me, has gone out of his way to help us at every turn, including helping to carry 1400 ladrillos down the steps from the road to our villa

The local people have always been friendly to us. We understand that in their culture, not saying thank you to us doesnt mean they are being rude. Just because their language sounds aggressive to me, doesnt mean they are being unfriendly.

I dont ever expect that they will accept me as a fellow countryman, or regard me in the same way as they do their own. Much in the same way we dont tend to regard our immigrant population in the UK as fellow countrymen. To call the Spanish racist is rather strange, because when you look at our country they are really no more racist than we have been, and to some extent still are.

You can get ripped off in the UK. You can get ripped off in Spain. Thats life unfortunately!! The only time I ever got ripped off here was by a Brit .... thats why I very seldom use Brit tradesmen now. I'm fairly sure that a Spanish tradesman WILL pitch his price higher to a Brit than to a Spaniard, but then its down to you to negotiate, much the same way as you would have back in the UK.

I regret, and this is not pointed at anyone necessarily on here, that Brits often bring it upon themselves. They dont adapt to the way of life here and half expect the Spanish to adapt to theirs! If you were a Spaniard wouldn't you get fed up with it!

In short, I try to make the effort. In the same way the Oddities on here have made the effort in their village and been accepted and invited to the village goings on, as have other friends in village & town communities.

I believe making the effort makes a difference.
Just my opinion
A very good one though
Old May 13th 2009, 10:10 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt

I lived for some time in Spain and because of my Basque GF I lived in a Spanish community, a Basque community and almost never, except for visiting family, interacted with the British, but I can tell you now, the Spanish I lived with, and they were nice, friendly, sociable people, many working in the tourist industry on the whole HATED us Brits.

It wasn't just the English, it was all of us, and it wasn't so much the fact that we were loud, brash, rude and obnoxious, it was the total lack of resect we had for almost anything we interacted with. I have friends who owned and ran a brilliant Tapas bar in one place I lived and they called us Brits the Piglets when they would come in to eat. The sight of a load of sunfried Brits eating Tapas with their hands was abhorrent for them, and when you tried to explain to them why the Spanish had a dislike for people eating with their hands (cue the smart arse replies about eating with our hands!) the Brits would just laugh and say that it wasn't their culture so why should they worry.

Now I know I am generalising here but sadly thats what we do as humans, and thats what my mates used to do. I absolutely love Spain, the Spanish are a lovely people, and having been born and raised in the Middle East I find them, unsurprisingly I know, very similar in nature and character, and many Brits don't and can't understand that nature, its the Anglo Blood in us, but don't think for one second that its a Spanish thing, or a British thing, people are, on the whole, parochial, we have our groups, our circles and we HATE people to enter that circle or be part of any other circle, we love to visit, to experience other circles, love the buzz of being involved in other circles, but at the end of the day, we always return to our circle, in one way or another!

Very good points made. The Basques hate everybody.
I am Spanish and I dont hate the Brits, only one group of them. I think they should be exterminated like a plague of insects.............

Man Utd and the fans.

Regards,
JLFS
Old May 13th 2009, 10:12 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by me me
The Basques hate everybody.

Regards,
JLFS
The Basques have nothing but kind words for the Spanish too.......
Old May 13th 2009, 10:13 am
Account Closed

kaff99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HimnHer
That was all i said,nothing about rascism,nothing about the Spanish being rude etc..........surely ur 1st post is really the dictator of what you want to talk about! Maybe it was that Spanish bloke that screwed it up eh!!!

Go back to comment no 60 by Relampago - started going a bit downhill from there.

Sport and racism do tend to go hand in hand in all countries!
Old May 13th 2009, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

HimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kaff99
Go back to comment no 60 by Relampago - started going a bit downhill from there.

Sport and racism do tend to go hand in hand in all countries!
Yes you are right Kaff,just went back to his post and totally agree with you.But nothing against him,he is entitled to say his bit,but he caused this confussion.Right gotta do some more painting,might have a quick tea break 1st.Have to admit though,this has turned out to be an interesting post! !
Old May 13th 2009, 10:38 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relampago
You don't speak to me of stupidities of racism, you seem of the English Media that has mania to Spain and the Spaniards. In United Kingdom have had songs of racism against the Turks when they have played in the english stadiums, or with the Tottenham that is a Jewish Football Club, for to give some examples, and for this reason I don't think that all the British are racist, so your argument of the racism in Spain is really poor and demagogue. I already say, you seem of the English Media that they are idiotic, because here one masquerades of black, then all we are racist? Please, that we are adults
bien dicho
Old May 13th 2009, 10:38 am

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

To my way of reading Mitz it is becoming a witch hunt, it may be a discussion forum but you know darn well that at the end some mod will have to call it a day on this thread.
Old May 13th 2009, 10:41 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by crispy
To my way of reading Mitz it is becoming a witch hunt, it may be a discussion forum but you know darn well that at the end some mod will have to call it a day on this thread.
Yep.................
Old May 13th 2009, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HimnHer
Yes you are right Kaff,just went back to his post and totally agree with you.But nothing against him,he is entitled to say his bit,but he caused this confussion.Right gotta do some more painting,might have a quick tea break 1st.Have to admit though,this has turned out to be an interesting post! !
Last word on it from me himnher, best of luck back in the uk I am sure you will have a good life back there again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.