Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Modern languages in decline

Modern languages in decline

Old Aug 18th 2012, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Modern languages in decline

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Bloody sharp aren't you, little wonder they didn't give you free rein.
I've made up for it since!
Old Aug 18th 2012, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=jimenato;10233595]
Originally Posted by Rambling Rose

However you look at it, starting a sentence with 'however' is fine. However, the meaning changes if you use a comma.
That's very clever - isn't language wonderful, which is why it's a shame if the teaching of modern languages is in decline.

I'm mortified to see that I misspelt rein as reign.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 1:31 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

That's certainly true - look at Shakespeare. He didn't even spell his name the same way all the time.

However, (which I'm told is a word that should never be used to start a sentence) surely the most important point is to be understood. It's all too easy to be ambiguous when you don't use correct punctuation.
There was a very funny book on the subject a few years ago called "Eats shoots and leaves." This can either mean a gunman or a panda depending on whether you use a comma or not.
Being understood is certainly important, but it's often possible to be understood even though a bit of prose is ugly, poorly constructed, and impoverished in vocabulary. And I think that's what annoys me most about poor language skills, be it a matter of grammar or vocabulary - they impoverish the beauty and power of a language and greatly reduce the effect one can have with it. It is part of the unfairness of receiving a poor education if it leaves people unable to express themselves well and fully. Shakespeare didn't have this trouble, obviously, even though grammatical rules were clearly different in his time. On the other hand, many people now forming a plural with an apostrophe do.

Shakespeare's "mistakes" didn't impoverish or reduce the language, whereas simply not knowing anything else does.

In my humble opinion, of course.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Do people think the rules of grammar should be adapted to follow to popular usage, or that usage should follow the rules?

There is no Real Academia for English, like there is for French and Spanish, so who should make those rules?
Old Aug 18th 2012, 2:25 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Rambling Rose;10233696]
Originally Posted by jimenato

That's very clever - isn't language wonderful, which is why it's a shame if the teaching of modern languages is in decline.

I'm mortified to see that I misspelt rein as reign.
Lazy sods like myself have a good excuse.
I occasionally dictate instead of typing on the keyboard, so I can blame the limitations of modern technology for not being fully aware of which sense of a particular word I meant.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 4:35 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Do people think the rules of grammar should be adapted to follow to popular usage, or that usage should follow the rules?

There is no Real Academia for English, like there is for French and Spanish, so who should make those rules?
Interesting point.

The English language is a living language and every year new words get entered into the OED.

I'm not sure what the "official" source of correct Grammar is these days. Possibly Fowler's - A Dictionary of Modern English Usage or possibly The Oxford English Grammar - but I am not sure how either of these react to colloquial changes in modern grammar.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Being understood is certainly important, but it's often possible to be understood even though a bit of prose is ugly, poorly constructed, and impoverished in vocabulary. And I think that's what annoys me most about poor language skills, be it a matter of grammar or vocabulary - they impoverish the beauty and power of a language and greatly reduce the effect one can have with it. It is part of the unfairness of receiving a poor education if it leaves people unable to express themselves well and fully. Shakespeare didn't have this trouble, obviously, even though grammatical rules were clearly different in his time. On the other hand, many people now forming a plural with an apostrophe do.

Shakespeare's "mistakes" didn't impoverish or reduce the language, whereas simply not knowing anything else does.

In my humble opinion, of course.
I agree with all of that and I think it can also be a question of context. Poor grammar and spelling annoys me most when I see it in offical documents or when someone is trying to sell me something.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 2:32 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with all of that and I think it can also be a question of context. Poor grammar and spelling annoys me most when I see it in offical documents or when someone is trying to sell me something.
It most annoys me when my CEO who makes 180k a year does it.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 2:59 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

The higher up you are the less you need grammar and spelling as long as you get someone else to redo everything.

I had a personal e-mail from someone who has just paid £2 million for a golf course, one bit said "I won't loose site of it"
Old Aug 20th 2012, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
The higher up you are the less you need grammar and spelling as long as you get someone else to redo everything.

I had a personal e-mail from someone who has just paid £2 million for a golf course, one bit said "I won't loose site of it"
Grammar and spelling mistakes or even typos are often used as a weapon by those who are looking for ways to exert their supposed superior status over others.

The irony of status anxiety is you only worry about those immediately above and below you. Meaning that the salt of the earth working class and the upper class are normally much more confident and pleasant people

As for the rich guy with "loose", he's probably far too busy to check whether he spelt it properly, and too rich (or satisfied) to care!
Old Aug 21st 2012, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

lmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud of

What I dislike is the use of "there" when it should be "their" and "your" instead of "you're". However the use of the word "of" where is should be "have", really gets to me for some reason!!!
For example "could of", "should of" etc.
How did that come about? Is this poor spelling or just poor education?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lmj50
What I dislike is the use of "there" when it should be "their" and "your" instead of "you're". However the use of the word "of" where is should be "have", really gets to me for some reason!!!
It's phonetic - when you are speaking they sound the same. Many people learn more easily by listening than by reading.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 12:48 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember changing my username to lmj50 & writing that

totally agree

it's nothing to do with spelling - it's just poor education
Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like it either. Nor hearing people say "I was sat" when it should be "I was sitting" or "I sat".
Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

lmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
It's phonetic - when you are speaking they sound the same. Many people learn more easily by listening than by reading.
I don't think it is phonetic. There is an "H" in have.
I will agree that if you had a Birmingham accent or from Dudley you may be right though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.