Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Modern languages in decline

Modern languages in decline

Old Aug 17th 2012, 12:22 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Modern languages in decline

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
No sorry, please don't think I was suggesting we should all be correcting each others grammar or spelling. I think that should be left to parents and teachers. I just don't think it happens much these days. My nephew asked me to look over his university application 5 years ago. It was riddled with bad grammar, spelling mistakes and ambiguity. Yet he was a bright boy at a good school and went on to get a 2:1 and then an Msc at Sheffield.

As for the neighbour who thought 'derecha' meant 'all right' in spanish. He's been asked to help with the english class at the local school.
As I see it, the problem is that those of us born in the post war baby boom were generally well taught. We have seen standards slipping and sliding downwards at the same rate as tecky products have risen.

many of the parents of today are themselves riddled with bad grammar, spelling mistakes, use of the correct sounding but different word, (there instead of their and hear instead of here in a letter recently received). So how can they be expected to correct their children's spelling and grammar??
and the kids will only react with "what do you know anyway".

most of that came, I believe, from the relaxed attitude of a whole swathe of teachers who took the easy way out, who didnt agree with sports as there have to be winners and losers, who just shrugged and let the kids get on with it. This has been reflected in lowering of standards in exams, where poor spelling in maths isnt counted so long as the math is right.

Old Aug 17th 2012, 12:34 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
most of that came, I believe, from the relaxed attitude of a whole swathe of teachers who took the easy way out, who didnt agree with sports as there have to be winners and losers, who just shrugged and let the kids get on with it. This has been reflected in lowering of standards in exams, where poor spelling in maths isnt counted so long as the math is right.

I'm not sure if it's all the teachers fault.
I think the situation really began to deteriorate in the 60s and 70s when kids were given almost free reign to wander about their classrooms at will.

Prior to that they were all restricted to their own individual seats and desks and were easily individually accountable and controllable.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 1:03 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who doesn't like grammar nazies, but also someone who dislikes sloppy writing, I don't know where I stand on this issue.

So it would be best to just pass, but I'm a bad passer as well, and passers' bad habits don't help.

Next.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
OK - it's controversial. Many people use the apostrophe in acronyms to indicate the missing letters. Working in IT (acronym hell!)we always used the apostrophe in this way. I was pulled up by our style chiefs for not using it. Long discussion here
So what is the missing letter in DVD's? The S simply indicates a plural, there is no possession or substitution.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 2:59 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
So what is the missing letter in DVD's? The S simply indicates a plural, there is no possession or substitution.
I didn't get that either - & although there was indeed a dicussion on that link....... I still don't really get it
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

They were ordered to teach that way by the government, it wasn't necessarily their choice. For example, a lot of teachers disagreed strongly with phonics (teaching reading and writing via sounds rather than spelling patterns). This teaching method led to a whole generation of kids who can only write with the spellchecker turned on. And now the govt are talking about bringing it back!
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:00 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

"isk"

I'm not pushing this - I'm not convinced either way. The people who seem to think the apostrophe is acceptable are largely American so that might make the difference. Note that in UK IT, American spellings are often used - 'program' instead of 'programme'.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

"isk"

I'm not pushing this - I'm not convinced either way. The people who seem to think the apostrophe is acceptable are largely American so that might make the difference. Note that in UK IT, American spellings are often used - 'program' instead of 'programme'.
Oh I see (I think).

But that doesn't explain "Potato's £1/kilo" !
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I think the situation really began to deteriorate in the 60s and 70s when kids were given almost free reign to wander about their classrooms at will.

Prior to that they were all restricted to their own individual seats and desks and were easily individually accountable and controllable.
I went to school in the UK during the 80s and I can assure you we did not have free reign, or even free rein, to wander about at will!
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:13 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

"isk"

yes, I can see the twisted logic in that now - I still don't think it's right though

do you know - I had never realised that it was spelled with a 'k' !!
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:38 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The plural of DVD is DVDs.

Words ending in s usually add an apostrophe and another such as James's but the possessive of Jesus is always Jesus' not Jesus's.

That should confuse things!
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:42 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Fred James;10232445]The plural of DVD is DVDs.

QUOTE]

But if it were written D.V.D. then it would be D.V.D.'s.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:43 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

OK Dick, I will be the sucker in this and ask........
who gave the kids free reign ??

was it the parents ? who arent there
little green men visiting for the day ?

or was it the teachers ?? who when I was a lad, had us restricted to our own desk (although at secondary we had lockers and moved to different classrooms creating huge whirlpools of pupils rather than the teachers breezing in)
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:47 pm

"isk"

or center instead of centre ?

HTML is written in American rather than English, as you will see if you look at the write-up for these posts.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:51 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

OK Dick, I will be the sucker in this and ask........
who gave the kids free reign ??

was it the parents ? who arent there
little green men visiting for the day ?

or was it the teachers ?? who when I was a lad, had us restricted to our own desk (although at secondary we had lockers and moved to different classrooms creating huge whirlpools of pupils rather than the teachers breezing in)
actually come to think of it I was at school in the 60s & 70s & we certainly didn't get to wander around the classroom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.