Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Modern languages in decline

Modern languages in decline

Old Aug 16th 2012, 8:50 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Modern languages in decline

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
Nothing wrong with paying £5; as Bill Clinton might have said, "it's the comma, stupid".
No disrespect to you.
What comma?
Old Aug 16th 2012, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

lmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Domino;10230722]

English is probably the longest stayer in all languages.

It is actually quite a new language. Even in the UK or "England" as people call it it is not as old as the original language spoken.
It is a general statement, I know, but most people agree that the "English" are poor at languages. I do not necessarily agree with that. Some say it is due to the fact that they believe everyone should speak English. I think that the ability to speak another language is truly a gift, and a life skill.
I was lucky to be bilingual at the age of 6. I can get by as at "tourist" level in 5 languages, my daughter speaks 5 languages. Sorry, this, now that I am reading it back sounds boastful, but it is just a fact.
Please try to learn at least the basics of another language, it really does broaden your horizon. Maybe Spanish would be a start?
Regards,
LMJ
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:16 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
What comma?
The one after DVD and before the "s"
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
MATTIE!!!!!!!
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:23 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

That is not a comma - it's an apostrophe (I can't believe I had to explain that)
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=lmj50;10231157]
Originally Posted by Domino

English is probably the longest stayer in all languages.

It is actually quite a new language. Even in the UK or "England" as people call it it is not as old as the original language spoken.
It is a general statement, I know, but most people agree that the "English" are poor at languages. I do not necessarily agree with that. Some say it is due to the fact that they believe everyone should speak English. I think that the ability to speak another language is truly a gift, and a life skill.
I was lucky to be bilingual at the age of 6. I can get by as at "tourist" level in 5 languages, my daughter speaks 5 languages. Sorry, this, now that I am reading it back sounds boastful, but it is just a fact.
Please try to learn at least the basics of another language, it really does broaden your horizon. Maybe Spanish would be a start?
Regards,
LMJ
...did mattie screw up the quotes yet again.....
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:33 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

That is not a comma - it's an apostrophe (I can't believe I had to explain that)
You know what they meant.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Where'd everybody go?
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:34 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by willmore
MATTIE!!!!!!!
SUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:34 pm
FreeThinker

You know what they meant.
The English language is truly in decline.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 17th 2012, 7:10 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

OK to answer your question

an apostrophe is used to show possession, as in Fred's DVD - the apostrophe shows that the DVD belongs to Fred

or, an apostrophe is used in a contraction (putting two words together) to replace the missing letter, as in it's his DVD, so the apostrophe replaces the i from it is

an apostrophe is never needed to make something plural

so......... two DVD's for 5€ is wrong - there is neither possession nor a contraction, it is simply more than one DVD (plural) so the apostrophe isn't required - it should be two DVDs 5€
Old Aug 17th 2012, 7:19 am
Just Joined

GerryW80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its good to know a number of languages but the trend seems quite consistent with English, Spanish and French to b ethe most commonly used languages around the world.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 7:52 am
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by lynnxa
OK to answer your question

an apostrophe is used to show possession, as in Fred's DVD - the apostrophe shows that the DVD belongs to Fred

or, an apostrophe is used in a contraction (putting two words together) to replace the missing letter, as in it's his DVD, so the apostrophe replaces the i from it is

an apostrophe is never needed to make something plural

so......... two DVD's for 5€ is wrong - there is neither possession nor a contraction, it is simply more than one DVD (plural) so the apostrophe isn't required - it should be two DVDs 5€
OK - it's controversial. Many people use the apostrophe in acronyms to indicate the missing letters. Working in IT (acronym hell!)we always used the apostrophe in this way. I was pulled up by our style chiefs for not using it. Long discussion here
Old Aug 17th 2012, 7:58 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

OK - it's controversial. Many people use the apostrophe in acronyms to indicate the missing letters. Working in IT (acronym hell!)we always used the apostrophe in this way. I was pulled up by our style chiefs for not using it. Long discussion here
I suspect IT might be a whole different language then

I don't think it's controversial at all - they are the grammar rules

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.