Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Malaga... Is it really that bad??

Malaga... Is it really that bad??

Old Jun 10th 2010, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

Fleurette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Malaga... Is it really that bad??

I'm pleased! So in general, Malaga (thanks to you guys) sounds like it could be awesome. I heard a few stories from friends and I also contacted a few people on Couchsurfing.org, who told me similar things.
The only problem is the whole job thing. I'm tempted just to book the uni course and wang it whilst I'm there.
Thanks for your help!!
Old Jun 11th 2010, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

chilli33 is an unknown quantity at this point

What do you gain if you stay where you are? .... wary of venturing out of your comfort zone?....if you don't like it you can always come back....there is nothing to stop you only your fears...

'take big steps forward...and mighty forces come to your aid'
Old Jun 11th 2010, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

ivanmax will become famous soon enoughivanmax will become famous soon enough

Malaga is a great place for a university student. Lots of pubs and a great atmosphere. People are really nice too. I suppose there are a lot of British teaching English there but you will find a job if you got the qualifications. You can expect to get from 10 to 15 quid an hour if you work in a private academy and probably around 20 if you work as a private tutor. Just advertise in the papers. You will find pupils easily believe me.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ivanmax
Malaga is a great place for a university student. Lots of pubs and a great atmosphere. People are really nice too. I suppose there are a lot of British teaching English there but you will find a job if you got the qualifications. You can expect to get from 10 to 15 quid an hour if you work in a private academy and probably around 20 if you work as a private tutor. Just advertise in the papers. You will find pupils easily believe me.
Great. Which are the best papers/websites to advertise for private students??
Old Jun 11th 2010, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

ivanmax will become famous soon enoughivanmax will become famous soon enough

I am from Burgos, so I can´t really tell you but try any adverts newspaper. You will find pupils easily. However you must try to learn your grammar well. In Spain you will need to know quite a lot of grammar as secondary school pupils learn more grammar at high school than most british people in all their lives. I spent five years in Britain and my university mates knew much less grammar than me and their spelling was terribly worse. Learn how to explain relative pronouns, pasive sentences, reported speech, modal verbs and conditionals. Those are some of the most important contents taught at secondary schools.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 6:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ivanmax
I am from Burgos, so I can´t really tell you but try any adverts newspaper. You will find pupils easily. However you must try to learn your grammar well. In Spain you will need to know quite a lot of grammar as secondary school pupils learn more grammar at high school than most british people in all their lives. I spent five years in Britain and my university mates knew much less grammar than me and their spelling was terribly worse. Learn how to explain relative pronouns, pasive sentences, reported speech, modal verbs and conditionals. Those are some of the most important contents taught at secondary schools.
Thanks for the advice. Ive just been living in China for a year and a half teaching English, so I have some experience already. Always good to brush up though!
Old Jun 12th 2010, 3:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleurette
Great. Which are the best papers/websites to advertise for private students??
If you advertise make sure you have all the licences and are registered.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

GuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to behold

I love Malaga personally. My Dad moved out to the mountains 40km north and he loves it there. I'd love to go over myself, but he has already warned me about the unemployment rate there. He is forever getting expats asking if he has any jobs, but hey, you don't know till you try. Can't wait to get over there this August for the annual family party!