Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Malaga... Is it really that bad??

Malaga... Is it really that bad??

Old Jun 3rd 2010, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

surreygirl will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Malaga... Is it really that bad??

Originally Posted by cricketman

Whatever made you come to Spain in the first place? Bullfights are hardly a secret.

Exactly millions of people a year attend a bloody, sadistic spectacle and think nothing of it, I had hoped Spain would move on, not just with bullfighting but all the feria´s which involve the use of live animals but it hasnt, no feria is complete unless it involves chasing young terrified heifers or calfs through the streets, throwing goats from church towers, horses pushed to exhaustion, chickens tangling down by their feet from rope so people on horses can grap them and pull their heads off!! Cant people have fun here without the use of live animals to add to their pleasure. Sadly it seems not.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 11:15 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surreygirl
Exactly millions of people a year attend a bloody, sadistic spectacle and think nothing of it, I had hoped Spain would move on, not just with bullfighting but all the feria´s which involve the use of live animals but it hasnt, no feria is complete unless it involves chasing young terrified heifers or calfs through the streets, throwing goats from church towers, horses pushed to exhaustion, chickens tangling down by their feet from rope so people on horses can grap them and pull their heads off!! Cant people have fun here without the use of live animals to add to their pleasure. Sadly it seems not.
Why don`t you go on a Spanish forum and whinge to the people that allegedly do this, cos I don`t think anyone on here is a culprit ?
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 11:29 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surreygirl
Exactly millions of people a year attend a bloody, sadistic spectacle and think nothing of it, .... rant rant rant
Oh contraire, it seems you think nothing for spanish tradtions?

I have never been, but I think there are a lot worse things than bullfighting > http://thenewsasithappens.com/derek-...ll-his-mother/
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1766372/

Maybe you should think, before whinging that spain is not like your version of little england.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 11:41 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Italy, but my OH spends a lot of his time in Spain. He's moved further from Malaga to Puerto Banus but we have been into Malaga itself a few times. I liked the city, very much a place to live rather than visit, you can tell people live and work there - I live in Florence, which I love, but it can be a bit like living in a museum/tourist attraction - Malaga is not like that at all! I also like the coast itself, like anywhere you can find drunks and thugs, but I've been lucky enough to not encounter them often on my visits.

Yes, there is bullfighting, like someone said it's no secret and part of the culture that no-one Spanish wants to get rid of. Let's be honest the only reason fox-hunting vanished was because it was pushed through parliament. I don't remember a country wide referendum - reason - most people either wouldn't have cared enough to vote and those that did would've been for hunting to remain...What about stag shoots, coursing, pheasant shoots?? Still go on. Still animals being stressed and scared to death whatever way you look at it. Better than the extortion of human beings which is a regular part of some places here in Italy!
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 12:03 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
snip
Yes, there is bullfighting, like someone said it's no secret and part of the culture that no-one Spanish wants to get rid of. Let's be honest the only reason fox-hunting vanished was because it was pushed through parliament. I don't remember a country wide referendum - reason - most people either wouldn't have cared enough to vote and those that did would've been for hunting to remain...What about stag shoots, coursing, pheasant shoots?? Still go on. Still animals being stressed and scared to death whatever way you look at it. Better than the extortion of human beings which is a regular part of some places here in Italy!
Which comic did you read that in??? Bullfighting isn't anywhere near as popular as it used to be and many Spanish are now opposed to it.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there is bullfighting, like someone said it's no secret and part of the culture that no-one Spanish wants to get rid of. Let's be honest
Indeed, let's be honest, the vast majority of Spanish couldn't care less about the corrida.(about 70%) I'm not either for or against the corrida, but to suggest that no Spanish want to do away with the corrida is total nonsense.
# Numerosas voces se enfrentan en torno a un tema: las corridas de toros.
# Mientras algunos las ven como un arte y una tradición imprescindible, otros piensan que es un negocio salvaje.
# Según la consultora Gallup, el 70% de los españoles no tiene ningún interés por los toros.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 1:29 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

I am personally in favor of bullfighting, if it ends like this...ole!
Attached Thumbnails Malaga... Is it really that bad??-bull_fight1.jpg  
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 1:37 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

So the bullrings are purely for the tourists then or foreigners? Presumably so they can then tell all their mates what blood thirsty animal haters Spaniards are?? Gee, sounds like you all need a new PR company!!
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 3:28 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

So the bullrings are purely for the tourists then or foreigners? Presumably so they can then tell all their mates what blood thirsty animal haters Spaniards are?? Gee, sounds like you all need a new PR company!!
no - bullfights do still have a strong following, but far from the majority of Spaniards are pro-corridas nowadays

the following among the younger generation is dwindling

IMO it will never die out - but possibly it will be a largely tourist or perhaps cult thing, eventually
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

Can we perhaps leave the bullfighting argument for another thread? It's turning into a "thread on bullfighting" which isn't really that useful for the OP.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 4:13 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
Can we perhaps leave the bullfighting argument for another thread? It's turning into a "thread on bullfighting" which isn't really that useful for the OP.
good idea - & we've already got one

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=666153
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Lyynxa! So where were we, Malaga seems to get a reasonably large thumbs up then! What was the alternative, somewhere in Galicia I think? A lovely place, very different to Malaga of course, chalk and cheese! Lots of cows, green veggies, cheese, seafood, grass, rain (someone's about to come on here and say it actually doesn't rain that much there!), very "good" people who are always described as melancholy, a few of whom don't really speak Spanish very well in the deeply rural areas, lovely coastal towns, aguardiente, the queimada, witches, the Camino de Santiago, great beaches in summer, beautiful wild landscapes, architecture, religious culture... I'll stop now!
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 5:05 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
Thanks Lyynxa! So where were we, Malaga seems to get a reasonably large thumbs up then! What was the alternative, somewhere in Galicia I think? A lovely place, very different to Malaga of course, chalk and cheese! Lots of cows, green veggies, cheese, seafood, grass, rain (someone's about to come on here and say it actually doesn't rain that much there!), very "good" people who are always described as melancholy, a few of whom don't really speak Spanish very well in the deeply rural areas, lovely coastal towns, aguardiente, the queimada, witches, the Camino de Santiago, great beaches in summer, beautiful wild landscapes, architecture, religious culture... I'll stop now!
never been to either!!

one day, when the kids have left home, we'll rent or buy a campervan & do a grand tour!
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spain has such amazing variety, that's why I love it so much. I have been lucky to have visited most areas, including the islands, and each region has its own delights (and downsides of course). I think Andalucía is great for an introduction if someone has never been to Spain, lots of variety, very different to the UK, and great weather (on the whole!).
Old Jun 7th 2010, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

chilli33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Years ago living in the uk i remember hearing about the Costa del Sol and lumped Malaga as one and the same as all the other coastal resorts...horrible touristy areas....in fact none of them are that bad especially out of season...then we moved to Spain inland not far from Malaga ....what a revelation that place was...i loved it..the vitality, the wonderful feel, the people ...plus suburbs north of the city are pure Spanish...with great restaurants. They go out late they live life to the full ....it's a fantastic place and i met many young people from the UK who were studying in Malaga and they loved it!!

At the moment you will struggle to find work tho

I now live in Australia but my husband and i would love to eventually own an apartment in Malaga itself because it has a lovely ambience....and many of our friends of all different nationalities felt the same...Malaga is big enough and small enough in every way.

Ps....i never liked the way people go and live in another country and think they have a right to impose their way of living on said country especially with respect to traditions...each country has it's issues that it should be ashamed of ...and it never does any good to point fingers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.