Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Malaga... Is it really that bad??

Malaga... Is it really that bad??

Old May 30th 2010, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

Fleurette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Malaga... Is it really that bad??

Hello all!
So, I'm thinking of coming to Spain- mainly to study Spanish, and after looking at many university courses offered to foreigners, Malaga Uni seemed one of the best- and also cheapest!
However, whenever I mention Malaga to friends, their immediate response is "oh god!" or words to that effect. Is it REALLY full of drunk Brits and stag weekend lads on tour?? Is the uni course good if anyone has done it?
And is it easy to find a teaching English job with reasonable pay?
Sorry, too many questions!
Any help would be appreciated!
Old May 30th 2010, 4:03 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Malaga... Is it really that bad??

Originally Posted by Fleurette
Hello all!
So, I'm thinking of coming to Spain- mainly to study Spanish, and after looking at many university courses offered to foreigners, Malaga Uni seemed one of the best- and also cheapest!
However, whenever I mention Malaga to friends, their immediate response is "oh god!" or words to that effect. Is it REALLY full of drunk Brits and stag weekend lads on tour?? Is the uni course good if anyone has done it?
Hi - Have you ruled out moving to Lugo, Galicia after all?
I've only passed through Malaga the once, but it seemed ok as a city. Plus I've heard from Spanish people it's quite a lively good place to live. I don't think there are many Brits in the city itself, they're more likely to be found in resorts further out. As for teaching English, the 3 best places in Spain are i ) Madrid ii ) Madrid iii ) madrid
Old May 30th 2010, 4:07 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Málaga's a big place. Some of the costa regions during the summer can be a bit rowdy (Tourist areas of Torremolinos, Benalmadena.... ), but they are many miles away from the University and its only gonna be in the summer when the holiday makers are here anyway, when the university is closed!!

Málaga city itself is a beautiful place and the old town is very picturesque and respectable!

As for an Engliush teaching job, well you need to look at the international schools, unless you are totally fluent in written and spoken Spanish. The pay isnt good (12,000€ - 15,000€ a year I believe), but thats the case in Spain, pay isnt good!!

Jo xxx
Old May 30th 2010, 4:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all!
And these people that told you about Malaga (huge place) have had a weeks holiday there eh ?
Old May 30th 2010, 4:21 pm
Account Closed

Wow, thanks for your help!
No, Ive not ruled out Lugo, just trying to keep my options open to be honest. Plus Lugo's uni course doesnt coincide with possible working hours and it's much quieter. Plus, I prefer the seaside!
Old May 30th 2010, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jdr
And these people that told you about Malaga (huge place) have had a weeks holiday there eh ?
LOL!!!! Yes, I've heard stories!!

What about the Spanish course for foreigners, has anyone done that??
Old May 30th 2010, 4:23 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.expatriatecafe.com/forums/index.php Forum for those in Spain teaching English
Old May 30th 2010, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all!
I used to study in the city of Málaga and loved it. You'll hardly ever bump into a British person in the city itself. They've done lots of work on the city in the past 10 years and it is now really nice, the cathedral area is great and you have a couple of kms of beachfront Spanish bars and restaurants in Pedregalejo and El Palo. It couldnt be more Spanish, not an English breakfast in site!

The university area is all joined together near the motorway, the main area seems to have a good atmosphere with lots of students hanging about. You can jump on a tram and that takes you into the city centre (think they are still building it).
Old May 30th 2010, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cricketman
I used to study in the city of Málaga and loved it. You'll hardly ever bump into a British person in the city itself. They've done lots of work on the city in the past 10 years and it is now really nice, the cathedral area is great and you have a couple of kms of beachfront Spanish bars and restaurants in Pedregalejo and El Palo. It couldnt be more Spanish, not an English breakfast in site!

The university area is all joined together near the motorway, the main area seems to have a good atmosphere with lots of students hanging about. You can jump on a tram and that takes you into the city centre (think they are still building it).
Sounds how I was hoping!! Just the name and friend reactions make bad images! What did you study? How long were you there?
Old May 30th 2010, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds how I was hoping!! Just the name and friend reactions make bad images! What did you study? How long were you there?
I was learning Spanish, but only a 1 month intensive course in Plaza de la Merced at Instituto Picasso.

Now I live close by I go to Malaga a couple of times a month, maybe one day I'd like to live there in the Malagueta. I think its a great city
Old May 30th 2010, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

I was learning Spanish, but only a 1 month intensive course in Plaza de la Merced at Instituto Picasso.

Now I live close by I go to Malaga a couple of times a month, maybe one day I'd like to live there in the Malagueta. I think its a great city
Cool!
What about jobs? I guess it's best if I just turn up? I can teach and/ or waitress but my Spanish is rubbish so far.
Old May 30th 2010, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cool!
What about jobs? I guess it's best if I just turn up? I can teach and/ or waitress but my Spanish is rubbish so far.
I'm not too sure about jobs. I see quite a few Northern European girls e.g. Swedes, Dutch and Germans watressing in the city while they are studying Spanish. You do see the odd "waitress wanted" sign, especially at this time now the summer season has started, but I can only imagine that it is much harder now with unemployment being so high.

There are the British schools where you can teach in English but by doing that you will find yourself in a complete English speaking world. Not sure what the teaching English to Spaniards job market is looking like at the moment.

If I were you just do a google search for the international schools and English teaching schools in Malaga, then contact them with a covering letter of what you are planning to do and your CV. Then you may get some good replies. It doesnt take long to do this so you wont have much to lose!
Old May 30th 2010, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

I'm not too sure about jobs. I see quite a few Northern European girls e.g. Swedes, Dutch and Germans watressing in the city while they are studying Spanish. You do see the odd "waitress wanted" sign, especially at this time now the summer season has started, but I can only imagine that it is much harder now with unemployment being so high.

There are the British schools where you can teach in English but by doing that you will find yourself in a complete English speaking world. Not sure what the teaching English to Spaniards job market is looking like at the moment.

If I were you just do a google search for the international schools and English teaching schools in Malaga, then contact them with a covering letter of what you are planning to do and your CV. Then you may get some good replies. It doesnt take long to do this so you wont have much to lose!
Good one.
I will have a bash and see what comes up. Thanks a lot!!
Old May 30th 2010, 5:16 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Cool!
You claim you've taught English in other countries, so that should help you. However I suspect you'll have too many other native-English speakers as competition near the coast. I mentioned in my previous post that Madrid's the best place for work (especially as an English teacher), and perhaps you should really start there? Once you can speak Spanish it's not hard to get private and business classes there at 25-30 Euro an hour (not quite as brilliant as it sounds, as you spend a lot of time travelling around as well as the normal class prep). I fear you won't get half that in Malaga, although someone here may contradict me?
As for waitress work - good luck, but in one of the worst areas for unemployment in Spain, you'll find it difficult to get an opportunity. Especially as you don't yet command the Spanish language. I agree that Cricketman makes Malaga sound a great place to live, but the work situation needs further thought. Good luck!
Old May 30th 2010, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
You claim you've taught English in other countries, so that should help you. However I suspect you'll have too many other native-English speakers as competition near the coast. I mentioned in my previous post that Madrid's the best place for work (especially as an English teacher), and perhaps you should really start there? Once you can speak Spanish it's not hard to get private and business classes there at 25-30 Euro an hour (not quite as brilliant as it sounds, as you spend a lot of time travelling around as well as the normal class prep). I fear you won't get half that in Malaga, although someone here may contradict me?
As for waitress work - good luck, but in one of the worst areas for unemployment in Spain, you'll find it difficult to get an opportunity. Especially as you don't yet command the Spanish language. I agree that Cricketman makes Malaga sound a great place to live, but the work situation needs further thought. Good luck!
Yes all good points. I'd read somewhere else that Andalucia has the worse unemployment in Spain. Luckily at the moment I have enough savings not to work for a while so I can study for a couple of months and take my time searching, BUT Then, if theres nothing anyway it will be tricky and take a big chunk out of my savings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.