Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Malaga... Is it really that bad??

Malaga... Is it really that bad??

Old May 30th 2010, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Malaga... Is it really that bad??

I don't live in the city, but we've had threads in support of Malaga before & I'm one of those that loves it...

Originally Posted by Fleurette
(snip) I prefer the seaside!
There must be others, but I don't know a city with the heart so close to such a lovely beach & LOOOOONG seafront with so much to offer all ages!

Originally Posted by cricketman
(snip) You'll hardly ever bump into a British person in the city itself. (snip) You can jump on a tram and that takes you into the city centre (think they are still building it).
Not strictly true, but the gist is right. There are loads of furriners about it's just not even remotely the same as the cliche Costa. Not remotely.

Yip, tram works still clog several zones

[QUOTE=Fleurette;8599764] (snip) Just the name and friend reactions make bad images! QUOTE]

I suspect the image comes more from people remembering they flew to Malaga than anything else - not many tourists (not beach ones, anyway) venture into the city; it's too far from the more popular resorts to do that easy peasy on a package.

(snip)

Now I live close by I go to Malaga a couple of times a month, maybe one day I'd like to live there in the Malagueta. I think its a great city
It's the only city apart from London I've even given headroom to regarding living there. And I'm a true country person. Not sure if that's a recommendation or not!

(snip)
There are the British schools where you can teach in English but by doing that you will find yourself in a complete English speaking world.
Not strictly true either, but the gist is. If you're lucky you'll find yourself at a school with 80%-plus Spanish, though granted mainly the international schools, particularly costa or west in the province, cater for folk whose priority may not be Spanish language/education/culture.

(snip) I'd read somewhere else that Andalucia has the worse unemployment in Spain. .
A couple of months back, or so, I think it was over 26%. Can that be right? I think so...memory's dodgy but someone'll probably find the right figure!
Old May 30th 2010, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

Fleurette is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Malaga... Is it really that bad??

Well, I think it's all helpful.
I'm definitely a sea side kind of gal, but of course a job would be helpful, and that's the problem for most people right now.
You've cleared up the Malaga being a rubbish tourist trap perspective though!
Old May 31st 2010, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

I'll support the positive image of Málaga that people are giving, it's said to be one of the best places to study Spanish in Spain. It is a "real" city, with a great atmosphere and warmth. I will also defend the Costa del Sol while I'm at it: living here is what you make it, if you seek drunk Brits, ye shall find, and if you seek living in "Spain", well you can have that too. This weekend we went to two different swimming pools surrounded by lush vegetation and soooo peaceful, picnicked in lovely countryside just outside Malaga in the sunshine by a lake, listened to guitar music played by a friend from Málaga, generally loving the lifestyle, not a drunk in sight of any nationality! You'll love Málaga, and make sure you tell your friends!
Old May 31st 2010, 10:07 am
Account Closed

Fleurette is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you! I definitely feel better about it. Do you think it's fair enough to turn up and just look for a job that way?
Old May 31st 2010, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! I definitely feel better about it. Do you think it's fair enough to turn up and just look for a job that way?
You can look, but without a special skill you'll probably struggle, unemployment rate in Málaga is over 30%. But no harm in trying!
La tasa de paro de Málaga supera el 30,02%, la segunda más alta de España
I also find Málaga OK, wouldn't want to live there, but we have spent several short breaks there and quite enjoy the place. I like the rather "shabby chic" areas, but they are fast disappearing now.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

surreygirl will become famous soon enough

Well if you want to know how bad it is have a look at what happened in Alhauine El Granda at the week-end. Go somewhere else I certainly wont be recommending Andalucia or Spain to anyone from now on.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

Surreygirl, whilst what happened with the bull is disgusting, it's no reason to put people off coming to Spain. It's like saying that people shouldn't go to England because there is fox hunting (I know it's been banned now but you get my point).
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 4:53 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
people shouldn't go to England because there is fox hunting (I know it's been banned now but you get my point).
Very valid point. Even after the ban, fox hunting goes on regularly in many areas.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

surreygirl will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
Surreygirl, whilst what happened with the bull is disgusting, it's no reason to put people off coming to Spain. It's like saying that people shouldn't go to England because there is fox hunting (I know it's been banned now but you get my point).
What point is that! fox hunting is the same as bullfighting!! I think not. The two are incomparable, not that I condone fox hunting I dont. What happened in ALG was intolerable. A one off event -I think not -. Spain is well known for its cruelty to animals - it is everywhere. I could take you on a mile circuit of where I live and show you intolerable situations that animals that in an educated, enlightened and sophisticated country would not happen. If you dont see it yourself you must be blind.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surreygirl
What point is that! fox hunting is the same as bullfighting!! I think not. The two are incomparable, not that I condone fox hunting I dont. What happened in ALG was intolerable. A one off event -I think not -. Spain is well known for its cruelty to animals - it is everywhere. I could take you on a mile circuit of where I live and show you intolerable situations that animals that in an educated, enlightened and sophisticated country would not happen. If you dont see it yourself you must be blind.
I think you should get out of the country ASAP surreygirl you clearly hate it here.

Whatever made you come to Spain in the first place? Bullfights are hardly a secret.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:07 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all!
So, I'm thinking of coming to Spain- mainly to study Spanish, and after looking at many university courses offered to foreigners, Malaga Uni seemed one of the best- and also cheapest!
However, whenever I mention Malaga to friends, their immediate response is "oh god!" or words to that effect. Is it REALLY full of drunk Brits and stag weekend lads on tour?? Is the uni course good if anyone has done it?
And is it easy to find a teaching English job with reasonable pay?
Sorry, too many questions!
Any help would be appreciated!

I think its a great idea to move there...let me know once your moved in, I'll bring a coupla plane loads of friends for one long stag weekend!!!!

All joking aside, I think Spain is lovely..
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 8:38 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

If I had to choose between say Hackney and málaga (God forbid) I would choose hackney.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am left speechless by that comment Jackytoo! Just looked up Hackney on Wikipedia, it's not good... No world class museums, no beach, no mountains just behind, no fabulous fiestas, rubbish transport system, and lots of other issues I daren't mention here... I don't want to knock Hackney but I don't really think this helps the OP much in deciding whether to spend a year or two in Malaga!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Zaragoza, by way of Cambridgeshire, and now Alhaurin El Grande
Zaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really nice

Believe me, I was born in Hackney and there is no comparison. Malaga every time.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 9:01 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surreygirl
Well if you want to know how bad it is have a look at what happened in Alhauine El Granda at the week-end. Go somewhere else I certainly wont be recommending Andalucia or Spain to anyone from now on.
What happened?? The feria was on and when I was there it was great, but El Grande does have a problem with Gypsies and Brits not mixing too well???

Jo xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.