Life in Spain.

Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:12 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life in Spain.

I have to say I used Specsavers in the UK for years, and with no real problems. I have a complicated prescription, so I always expect to pay a lot. Afaik, the Specsavers shops here are a franchise. As with many things, you cant judge one the same as another
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I have to say I used Specsavers in the UK for years, and with no real problems. I have a complicated prescription, so I always expect to pay a lot. Afaik, the Specsavers shops here are a franchise. As with many things, you cant judge one the same as another
I always thought UK was a straight franchise agreement, but it seems it is slightly different, although Spain is a straight franchise.
Specsavers operates most of their stores under a system which is called the 'Joint or Shared Venture Partnership'. This is similar to a franchise agreement between Specsavers and the franchisee; however, unlike many franchises, Specsavers stores work under the policy that 'any Specsavers customer is our customer', thereby meaning that a customer from one branch of Specsavers can expect to get equal service from another branch elsewhere. It also differs in that Specsavers own shares in the franchisee business rather than just providing goods and services under a franchise agreement. In newer territories such as Sweden, Norway and Spain, they operate a normal franchise agreement.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:03 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
I always thought UK was a straight franchise agreement, but it seems it is slightly different, although Spain is a straight franchise.
In which case the quality is always down to the individual franchisee, although the system will (should) always be the same.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:09 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Going back to the original post, the one in Fuengirola has a good testing service, and after sales service.
Maybe the original problems are caused where they make the glasses, in the UK ?

PS, I will be asking for a discount next time I go in.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
In which case the quality is always down to the individual franchisee, although the system will (should) always be the same.
Yes, and I guess they all use the same, or similar laboratories, so the product should be much the same, but the personnel in each branch can make a big difference.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Shoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by agoreira
Yes, and I guess they all use the same, or similar laboratories, so the product should be much the same, but the personnel in each branch can make a big difference.
I cannot believe that you people are all talking about the same Specsavers, in Javea!!! I have been a regular customer since they opened around 3 or 4 years ago, and have always been impressed by the quality of frames, excellent value for money and professionalism of the staff. The shop floor staff are always friendly, polite and are keen to help. Quite simply, they cannot do enough for me, when I go in there. Mitsyboy, I find your comments difficult to believe. However, as you admitted, it was several years ago! fancy wingeing about something that happened so long ago. Some people are not happy unless they are complaining about something.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shoz
Some people are not happy unless they are complaining about something.
Bit like you complaining about Mitzy's post.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 6:21 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot believe that you people are all talking about the same Specsavers, in Javea!!! I have been a regular customer since they opened around 3 or 4 years ago, and have always been impressed by the quality of frames, excellent value for money and professionalism of the staff. The shop floor staff are always friendly, polite and are keen to help. Quite simply, they cannot do enough for me, when I go in there. Mitsyboy, I find your comments difficult to believe. However, as you admitted, it was several years ago! fancy wingeing about something that happened so long ago. Some people are not happy unless they are complaining about something.
to be fair, opinions were asked for & given, and although I have never personally used them - walked in & out when they told me their prices for contact lenses when they first opened - they really don't have a good reputation around here

as recently as a few weeks ago soem people new to the town were bemoaning the standards & service to me - they used them because they speak english there & the people aren't confident enough with their spanish to chance a spanish optician

sad really, when most of the spanish opticians around here speak good english, give a great service & reasonable prices

just curious - why would you use specsavers in Jávea for all those years when according to your other posts, less than a year ago you weren't even living here
Old Jan 25th 2011, 6:23 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Vested interest perhaps ?

In any event it's a free world for everyone to express their honest opinions whether they agree with yours or not.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Shoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Vested interest perhaps ?

In any event it's a free world for everyone to express their honest opinions whether they agree with yours or not.
You are quite right. I live in England, but my family live in Spain, and have done so for many years. I visit on a very regular basis, and would love to move over (hence my previous posts). I have had frequent visits to specsavers, helping my elderly mother with her glasses choice etc and have even bought glasses there myself. I have always liked the staff. No vested interest. Credit where credits due. Thats all
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Credit where credits due. Thats all
I don't think anyone has a problem with that, just the fact you are rubbishing someone else's experience simply because it is different to yours. In fact it seems that several posters here share Mitzy's experience.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:19 pm
Senior Moment

You are quite right. I live in England, but my family live in Spain, and have done so for many years. I visit on a very regular basis, and would love to move over (hence my previous posts). I have had frequent visits to specsavers, helping my elderly mother with her glasses choice etc and have even bought glasses there myself. I have always liked the staff. No vested interest. Credit where credits due. Thats all
Ahh Shoz, nice to see you back here ... first post for about 6 months Interesting.

I'm not winging. I'm telling it as it is because someone asked. You clearly aren't used to forums and how people ask questions, and people answer them.

What happened to me is evidenced by at least 4 others who also had bad experiences. Several years .. doesnt really matter, because thats the way I was treated

I'm sure there are many people who have been treated well by Specsavers in Javea, otherwise they wouldn't be in business. I'm just illustrating what happens when it goes wrong
Old Jan 26th 2011, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

My wife and I both used the Specsaver in Javea a couple of years ago and found the service excellent. We have had no problems at all with the glasses.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

beverleyp is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the fabulous camp. So much cheaper than other Spanish opticians. Excellent service, excellent glasses. Love em.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 10:55 pm
Senior Moment

And a final comment on my glasses. I went to an independent optician in the UK to get some new glasses, as I was unable to see through the Specsavers ones properly any more.

He inspected the glasses and said the coatings on the lenses seemed to be breaking up. The tinting on the glasses were showing an odd honeycomb effect and strange lines were appearing over the lenses. He was also surprised that the frame colouring was coming away and laughed when I told him that Specsavers had told me I should sweat less to stop it happening.

So I got a nice new pair of glasses and from an independent optician, they cost less than the ones that I had from Specsavers, and they are guaranteed should I have a problem with them.

I know some people on here expressed a liking for the company, but frankly the general observation was that they were a crap set of glasses, and on top of that they were more expensive than an independent optician who actually takes the time to make sure they are OK.

Enough said ... people can make up their own minds. Four of us bought glasses there and three of us had problems, and one of us was fobbed off with a couldnt care less attitude.

I'll stick to independents in future I think

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.