Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

It's cold outside.How are you coping?

It's cold outside.How are you coping?

Old Dec 20th 2009, 1:03 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's cold outside.How are you coping?

OK, woodburners and central heating.

All very simple provided you know a few facts and use your brain. Only abilities needed are how to solder, how to cut pipe and how to make a screw up compression joint.

Make sure there is pressure relief and a cold water supply via a small tank (both go together, ie pressure is vented into the supply tank.) Remember that the water has to rise as it heats, and then fall back, and if you can keep it simple and use a 22mm pipe network you won´t even need a pump. Your only problem is extracting the heat really efficiently from the wood burner if it doesn´t have a back boiler, but I think woodwarm do an add on.

Exposed metal flues are an excellent way of extracting heat, and can be made quite complex in order to extract yet more heat. Bear in mind that if you extract too much heat the flue gasses will condense out and cause a BIG problem. The also need to have good access to clean them or they can kill.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

jules63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Peter Squires
Another tip I would like to add with wood burners is this - if at all possible and if the design of your house permits, have the chimney flue from the top of the woodburner go up INSIDE the room and the hole in the wall going through to the chimney as high as possible. You then gain more usable heat from the flue as well.

We had a Jotul in the UK which was too hot for the house there so shipped it over here and had it fitted as described, but we do have a very high ceiling. The previous owner tried two woodburners but built INTO the fireplace and too much heat was simply lost up the chimney, they were useless.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Peter

slightly off track but how did you transport it as I am looking to do the same but it appears hideously expensive so far

Old Dec 23rd 2009, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

Im thinking of putting central heating in the apartment, I just wonder if it would be possible???????
Old Dec 24th 2009, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind the snow in UK, especially if it sunny and bright, the cold I don't worry about. But here in Spain, I'm now getting fed up with this Rain....... One good thing is that you guys in UK, probably will get a White xmas, which I think is brilliant.....especially for kids.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
I don't mind the snow in UK, especially if it sunny and bright, the cold I don't worry about.
I´m a keen photographer and I have no shots of my area with snow, we don´t seem to get it! I´d like to see some so as to be able to take some shots with snow, but it´s passed us by again this year by the looks of it. Sun is out, no snow, no ice, not even cold, no heating needed