Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

It's cold outside.How are you coping?

It's cold outside.How are you coping?

Old Dec 17th 2009, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's cold outside.How are you coping?

Originally Posted by HBG
If you haven’t got one large and stupid dog, as well as a small and stupid dog, who chase each other around the room, you have nothing to worry about.

The dogs were fine and only a carpet and armchair got damaged because we got there in time.

We haven’t had to plug in the third radiator today because the sun’s out, it’s got about 40 minutes left. I suppose it will be plugged in tonight, the news is predicting bajo cero for the night. I’ve never known it on the coast.
No dogs! But I'm always afraid that the cylinder might explode.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 6:01 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helenba
heres one for you all my husband says he can make a central heating system from the wood burner has any one else done this ?
If it has a back boiler to heat the water then yes he can, but not a DIY job really.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Peter Squires is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Anything from a couple of hundred euro upwards. Generally, the more you pay the better quality they are and the more efficient they are. there are free-standing types, insert types...big ones, small ones...top loaders, front loaders...
Whether one is for you depends on how easily you can come by suitable firewood and whether you can physically easily put one in your property.
The main problem with gas fires is the water vapour they produce.
Another tip I would like to add with wood burners is this - if at all possible and if the design of your house permits, have the chimney flue from the top of the woodburner go up INSIDE the room and the hole in the wall going through to the chimney as high as possible. You then gain more usable heat from the flue as well.

We had a Jotul in the UK which was too hot for the house there so shipped it over here and had it fitted as described, but we do have a very high ceiling. The previous owner tried two woodburners but built INTO the fireplace and too much heat was simply lost up the chimney, they were useless.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Peter
Old Dec 18th 2009, 12:54 pm
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice

thanks for that any more ideas would be great than you.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 3:08 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail
No dogs! But I'm always afraid that the cylinder might explode.
I don't want to frighten you, and it's not an exploding cylinder, but today's front page of the online Costa Blanca News should be compulsary reading.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I don't want to frighten you, and it's not an exploding cylinder, but today's front page of the online Costa Blanca News should be compulsary reading.
I've just read it.

Have to say I am paranoid about gas heaters and stories like this don't help.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

I've just read it.

Have to say I am paranoid about gas heaters and stories like this don't help.
Could you supply a link, I have no idea where you are looking
Old Dec 18th 2009, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Peter Squires
Could you supply a link, I have no idea where you are looking
Took me a while to find it.

http://www.costa-news.com/index.php?...338&Itemid=162
Old Dec 18th 2009, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, missed it completly before :-)

Regards,

Peter
Old Dec 18th 2009, 5:53 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter Squires
Thanks, missed it completly before :-)

Regards,

Peter
Having just looked at the link, and having also bought a hard copy, I now realise that the hard copy contains far more information than the electronic one, something I hadn’t realised before. It makes sense I suppose.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Lady in our Spanish group had a place in CB, and I can't remember the exact details, but they stored their large gas bottles outside, and the main line into the house was attached to the inside garage wall. Somehow something in the cement eat through the gas line and there was an enormous explosion. The husband was very badly burnt, and never really recovered. I know the court case dragged on for years and years, don't know what the final outcome was.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 7:29 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Lady in our Spanish group had a place in CB, and I can't remember the exact details, but they stored their large gas bottles outside, and the main line into the house was attached to the inside garage wall. Somehow something in the cement eat through the gas line and there was an enormous explosion. The husband was very badly burnt, and never really recovered. I know the court case dragged on for years and years, don't know what the final outcome was.
That is all too common, both the nuber of accidents with the gas bottles, and the time it takes to get through court.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 8:50 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I remember talking to an extremely attractive English lady resident in Benidorm, in a bar right on the Levante beach, when she pointed to a large apartment block not far away, overlooking the beach, one of those giant blocks about 22 floors high.

About halfway up was a black hole, and she explained that that was her apartment after a gas explosion.

It was one of those Benidorm conversations, lost souls talking to lost souls to try and make sense of it. I asked her what happened and she replied that it just happened, while she was in the bar, minutes ago.

I made an excuse and wandered on.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I remember talking to an extremely attractive English lady resident in Benidorm, in a bar right on the Levante beach, .
I thought, I know what's coming here, this lady turns out to be a man! So imagine my disappointment when you stayed on topic and told us about a gas explosion!!!!
Old Dec 18th 2009, 9:29 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by agoreira
I thought, I know what's coming here, this lady turns out to be a man! So imagine my disappointment when you stayed on topic and told us about a gas explosion!!!!
This is a far too respectable forum to tell those tales.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.