Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

It's cold outside.How are you coping?

It's cold outside.How are you coping?

Old Dec 15th 2009, 7:59 pm
Banned

spaniola has a brilliant futurespaniola has a brilliant futurespaniola has a brilliant futurespaniola has a brilliant futurespaniola has a brilliant futurespaniola has a brilliant future
Default Re: It's cold outside.How are you coping?

Originally Posted by HimnHer
I agree with you Lionda,lovely to be back home with central heating and carpets etc,also got a log fire burning away too........coz it is bloody freezing outside!But good Christmas feel out and about though.Anyway Happy Christmas to all of you,wherever u r.
Thats lovely til the bills come in and then you still need them in April

We get 2 months of cold and 10 months of sunshine
Old Dec 15th 2009, 8:53 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

I have central heating but no carpets....

still toasty and warm...

No snow here (yet) maybe a bit of frost tomorrow morning.

It has seriously dropped temperature here. Today was sunny but cold - about 7 degrees..not complaining about that.

Old Dec 16th 2009, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
We’ve lived here for many years and every winter have got by with two oil filled radiators for the downstairs part, which is all we use in the winter. This year, so far, has been the coldest yet and we’re going out tomorrow to buy a third radiator.

Gas is cheaper, but we had an accident with one of those and don’t use them any more.
What happened in the accident?

Not sure I want to know. I've already got a phobia about the gas heaters.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

ballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really nice

Marble floors and no heating at all in Cadiz
Old Dec 16th 2009, 11:22 am
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Its freezing.

We are doing all we can to keep warm-huge open fire,electric radiators,halogen heaters.

Anyone know something better to do

and

we are not sure of the electricity consumption on these things either but we have to have heat.

Iberdrola are gonna have a laugh on this this year i reckon.
Get some heavy curtains up, we have no door at the bottom of our stairs, so have a curtain. Makes a big difference to keeping the living area warm, leaves up stairs colder but with a leccy blanket warming the bed t'is real cosy
If you don't have carpets get some nice thick slippers
Old Dec 16th 2009, 11:49 am
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice

we are sorbas way going bak out there in jan electric blanket for us and wood burning stove .husband is going to constuct aform of central heating frm our wood burner some friends have done it its wonderfull one wood burner heates 7 raideaters .usually have snow in feb is it going to come early this year?
Old Dec 16th 2009, 11:56 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spaniola
Thats lovely til the bills come in and then you still need them in April
We get 2 months of cold and 10 months of sunshine
You're lucky! There have been years here when the heating's gone on in Nov and stayed on until April!
Winters might be sunny (well, not today!) but they're still bluddy cold inland
Old Dec 16th 2009, 3:01 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail
What happened in the accident?

Not sure I want to know. I've already got a phobia about the gas heaters.
If you haven’t got one large and stupid dog, as well as a small and stupid dog, who chase each other around the room, you have nothing to worry about.

The dogs were fine and only a carpet and armchair got damaged because we got there in time.

We haven’t had to plug in the third radiator today because the sun’s out, it’s got about 40 minutes left. I suppose it will be plugged in tonight, the news is predicting bajo cero for the night. I’ve never known it on the coast.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 12:38 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Our fifth winter here; we have heating down to a fine art.

Gas fire in hall at bottom of stairs. This warms the hall, kitchen and the heat goes up the stairs into the ....

....Living area where we have another gas fire and a thick curtain across to keep the heat in instead of going into the back of the house and up the second lot of stairs.

Our bedroom/bedsit has a woodburner, it's the only place with a usable chimney. Warm and snug. It is a sitting room as well as a bedroom, we love to sit in there and read or listen to music.

One upstairs room is presently used just for storage, so we don't bother heating it. The study is heated with a fan heater as and when. The shower room has a blow heater on the wall over the door.

The other bedroom has an oil-filled radiator, but it's a guest room so not used all the time.

By far the best investment has been our electric blankets, especially if we don't light the woodburner (we only light it if we are using the room to sit in - the TV is in the other room).

On the whole we are warm enough. But it is quite often warmer outside.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat

On the whole we are warm enough. But it is quite often warmer outside.
Sounds absolute bliss!!!
Old Dec 17th 2009, 9:15 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Sounds absolute bliss!!!
I think we have done as well as we can with no central heating an an old, uninsulated house with ill-fitting windows!
Old Dec 17th 2009, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

A 10 degree rise in temperature outside today and its warmer outside than in.

I love our house and it was built with good insulation in the 80s but still a struggle to keep warm during the day but its lovely with the huge fire etc. in the evenings.

At least the sun is out today but it is so windy.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

erisaman is just really niceerisaman is just really niceerisaman is just really niceerisaman is just really niceerisaman is just really niceerisaman is just really niceerisaman is just really niceerisaman is just really nice

I think that last winter was said to be the coldest for 50 years (which suggests it was even colder 51 years ago!) so I've looked at ways to warm-up our relatively small apartment (near Benlamdena).

I've come up with Air-Con! Yes really, but a 'heat-pump' version which, apparently, against all the odds of what one would expect, will give out 4kw worth of heat for every 1kw of electricity put in.

Being fitted straight after Xmas, will let you know mid Jan !
Old Dec 17th 2009, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of

I bought electric radiators my first winter in spain. We had been using 2 rads, one in the lounge and 1 in the bedroom, unforunatly the landlord lived in the UK and didnt always let us know what the bilss were straight away, we ended up with 2 lots of electric bills (which covered 4 months usage) totalling 800 euros. Not good!! We invested in a gas fire after that lol
Old Dec 17th 2009, 4:17 pm
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice

heres one for you all my husband says he can make a central heating system from the wood burner has any one else done this ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.