Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Global warming??

Global warming??

Old Feb 3rd 2014, 9:13 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Global warming??

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
No criticism of the blatantly biased link Dick posted? No? No....
No didn't open it, what did it say?
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

BlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond repute

No one wants to mention the pink elephant in the room although jimemato did mention it he missed the point. This is the burgeoning human population. This is leading to deforestation, lost of natural habitat and species extinction on a massive scale. Personally I hope we don't discover how to harness fusion technology. This will only encourage some societies to have their families bang out 5-10 children each who will eat the planet. Forget just focusing on CO2 emissions as this is just a by-product of the main problem.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 10:43 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlackBeardie
No one wants to mention the pink elephant in the room although jimemato did mention it he missed the point. This is the burgeoning human population. This is leading to deforestation, lost of natural habitat and species extinction on a massive scale. Personally I hope we don't discover how to harness fusion technology. This will only encourage some societies to have their families bang out 5-10 children each who will eat the planet. Forget just focusing on CO2 emissions as this is just a by-product of the main problem.
You've not read any of my posts then?
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 11:05 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Oh.... If only people were just as quick to investigate the deniers as they are everyone else eh?
I don't even mind that really - I mean, people can read for themselves.

It's the bizarre assertion that there are "no facts" and that therefore nothing can be known that is pernicious. This leaves people completely open to being manipulated - including the big 2009 falsification of data case - and leads to just sitting helplessly around like great, thoughtless lumps while powerful vested interests carry on with whatever they wish.

The complete surrender of critical thought has never served humanity very well.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 1:47 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I don't even mind that really - I mean, people can read for themselves.

It's the bizarre assertion that there are "no facts" and that therefore nothing can be known that is pernicious. This leaves people completely open to being manipulated - including the big 2009 falsification of data case - and leads to just sitting helplessly around like great, thoughtless lumps while powerful vested interests carry on with whatever they wish.

The complete surrender of critical thought has never served humanity very well.
I just don't get the 'no facts' assertion at all.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 1:50 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
I just don't get the 'no facts' assertion at all.
it's tautology if that helps
Old Feb 4th 2014, 2:02 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
it's tautology if that helps
No it doesn't.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 2:13 am
Dunroaming back in UK

No it doesn't.
Ah sorry will try and simplify it for you then. My bad!

You wrote "no facts assertion" - this is effectively saying the same thing twice as, in academic terms, an assertion is, by definition, something not based on facts. This error in saying the same thing twice is called a tautology. I am sure you will understand that you cannot have any other kind of assertion. Therefore, I thought you were confusing yourself with the tautology.My apologies for the confusion.

Henceforth, I think 2 things need to happen to avoid similar confusion in the future.

1. Those of us (Jo, Lion, Matt, Jo's Husband et al) with more education than you need to remember to couch things in laymen's terms to avoid confusing you unnecessarily.

2. If you would be so kind as to work on your clarity of expression it might help avoid you confusing people quite so much.

Hope that helps?
Old Feb 4th 2014, 2:30 am
FreeThinker

Ah sorry will try and simplify it for you then. My bad!

You wrote "no facts assertion" - this is effectively saying the same thing twice as, in academic terms, an assertion is, by definition, something not based on facts. This error in saying the same thing twice is called a tautology. I am sure you will understand that you cannot have any other kind of assertion. Therefore, I thought you were confusing yourself with the tautology.My apologies for the confusion.

Henceforth, I think 2 things need to happen to avoid similar confusion in the future.

1. Those of us (Jo, Lion, Matt, Jo's Husband et al) with more education than you need to remember to couch things in laymen's terms to avoid confusing you unnecessarily.

2. If you would be so kind as to work on your clarity of expression it might help avoid you confusing people quite so much.

Hope that helps?
Ah! I see why there is confusion. I wrote 'no facts' assertion as you can see quite clearly but you thought I wrote "no facts assertion" which would explain why you wrongly thought it was a tautology wouldn't it? Never mind.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 2:34 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Ah! I see why there is confusion. I wrote 'no facts' assertion as you can see quite clearly but you thought I wrote "no facts assertion" which would explain why you wrongly thought it was a tautology wouldn't it? Never mind.
nice try but no banana
Old Feb 4th 2014, 2:37 am
FreeThinker

nice try but no banana
Jeez - wish I had a bit more education like you...
Old Feb 4th 2014, 2:38 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Jeez - wish I had a bit more education like you...
Jeez I wish you had a bit more education too
Old Feb 4th 2014, 2:40 am
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez I wish you had a bit more education too
May I suggest that you come across as a bit of a ponse
Old Feb 4th 2014, 2:42 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by IamStu
May I suggest that you come across as a bit of a ponse
You may, and thanks for the feedback Stu. I was actually aiming for condescending prat to try and show Jim how he comes across and obviously missed it by a bit. I will try and do better.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 2:45 am
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

You may, and thanks for the feedback Stu. I was actually aiming for condescending prat to try and show Jim how he comes across and obviously missed it by a bit. I will try and do better.
... I look a good sense of humor too. Good job

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.