Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Global warming??

Global warming??

Old Feb 11th 2014, 9:26 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Global warming??

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
maybe, I was too young to remember it. I do remember having to do a project at school and the project was all about how we in europe would manage "when" we lived in freezing conditions. I remember writing a piece about living in a special "warm" house and special "warm" clothes that would be invented, polar bears living in my garden and drawing a picture with snow covered palm trees lol. I also remember the following summer there was a heat wave (1976) - which I couldnt understand!!??

Funny the things you remember as a kid

Jo xxx
There are always Polar Bears in it
Old Feb 11th 2014, 9:27 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Jo, I think you have the patience of a Saint
I'm getting bored with it now - I know that they're just trying to wind me up tho!

I'm actually working on my PC and happen to have this tab open and it keeps "pinging" when they post!!!!! I'll close it, or I'll never get this bloody report done

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; Feb 11th 2014 at 9:33 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 9:27 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

maybe, I was too young to remember it. I do remember having to do a project at school and the project was all about how we in europe would manage "when" we lived in freezing conditions. I remember writing a piece about living in a special "warm" house and special "warm" clothes that would be invented, polar bears living in my garden and drawing a picture with snow covered palm trees lol. I also remember the following summer there was a heat wave (1976) - which I couldnt understand!!??

Funny the things you remember as a kid

Jo xxx
As I said - you might like to review where your 'facts' come from. Childhood memories are unreliable and probably not a particularly good source.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 9:30 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/c...-failures.html This I posted a few posts ago discredits a few of them - but its widely known now that most of them have vested interests - well lets face it, if someone pays you to find a problem, then you find it - whether there is one or not and regardless of you're qualifications. Of course the ones who were part of greenpeace and anti capitalist found it a great way of fighting for their cause too. I dont think there is anyone who believes them anymore.

Jo xxx
OK, Jo, you HAVE to check the validity of your links or you will start to sound like the alarmists you are attacking! Firstly the article doesn't say they were not scientists, it says they are not climate change scientists but what mr Christopher Booker, and I'll get onto that guy in a second, fails to mention is that they don't need to be. This is what I have been trying to tell you, the physics are plain to see, the physics are FACTS and all they need to be is scientists with an understanding of physics.... Which he doesn't dispute.

Now, Christopher Booker, he is a unique individual, he has, for decades, tried to refute everything from smoking related cancer to asbestosis and..... And here's the kicker Jo.... He is behind that ridiculous vid that was posted, the one that I showed you was flawed from start to finish.... The Real Global Warming Disaster... Oh and he lives in Somerset.... Oh the irony!
Old Feb 11th 2014, 9:32 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting bored with it now - I know that they're just trying to wind me up tho!

I'm actually working on my PC and happen to have this tab open and it keeps "pinging" when they post!!!!!

Jo xxx
If you think we are trying to wind you up Jo then leave the discussion, some of us actually want to discuss it.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 9:33 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm actually working on my PC and happen to have this tab open and it keeps "pinging" when they post!!!!!

Jo xxx
Yes, it did come to mind that some are arguing for arguing sake
Old Feb 11th 2014, 9:35 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/c...-failures.html This I posted a few posts ago discredits a few of them - but its widely known now that most of them have vested interests - well lets face it, if someone pays you to find a problem, then you find it - whether there is one or not and regardless of you're qualifications. Of course the ones who were part of greenpeace and anti capitalist found it a great way of fighting for their cause too. I dont think there is anyone who believes them anymore.

Jo xxx
Article by Christopher Brooker.

He also advocates Intelligent Design - another matter of faith.

ETA I see Matt has effectively debunked that link.

While we are talking about faith, posters here have been shown to be factually incorrect on more than one occasion yet still persist with their beliefs.

Such is the stuff of faith - belief in the face of non-existent or adverse evidence.

Last edited by jimenato; Feb 11th 2014 at 9:43 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 9:37 pm
Straw Man.

Ha! I've just done a bit of my own research and found out that Christopher Booker and the Telegraph had to issue an apology and agreed a 6! Figure payout for that article! Priceless, absolutely priceless.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 9:40 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by jimenato
Article by Christopher Brooker.

He also advocates Intelligent Design - another matter of faith.
You seen his views on asbestos? Says it's no more harmful than talcum powder.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 9:46 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Ha! I've just done a bit of my own research and found out that Christopher Booker and the Telegraph had to issue an apology and agreed a 6! Figure payout for that article! Priceless, absolutely priceless.
The IPCC has been discredited by so many now, that it doesnt matter !!! I dont know if its just my google search, but I put the IPCC in and its full of words like failure, scam, mistakes...... You only have to look at their own reports to see how wrong they were - again back to Al Gores speech

Night all

Jo xxx
Old Feb 11th 2014, 9:55 pm
Straw Man.

The IPCC has been discredited by so many now, that it doesnt matter !!! I dont know if its just my google search, but I put the IPCC in and its full of words like failure, scam, mistakes...... You only have to look at their own reports to see how wrong they were - again back to Al Gores speech

Night all

Jo xxx
I typed in Elvis is still alive, got nearly 3 million hits...
Old Feb 11th 2014, 10:13 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm certain that in the next few years that mans actions wont cause the Armageddon predicted. But who knows what else might happen - a meteor hit, the sun may explode, someone may let off a nuclear bomb..... however I can predict with the utmost certainty that, in 100 years time not one of us on the forum will be here - is that a catastrophe too??

Jo xxx
It would be a massive catastrophe..!!!! I will only be 160, I will be too young to
send my last post, Moses was 3 times as old.Plus I sent a mail to St Peter, stating.....
I refuse to go before I see England win the world cup again, so I'm here for the duration. I've invested alot of money on aging cream, that should keep me going until,
well at least when the Antartica gets to host the World cup.

Youve upset me now, I need a 50 year lay down, wake me up when you and rugbymatt
buy each other a drink.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 3:01 pm
FreeThinker

Interesting stuff here on the difference between a scientific view and a deniers view. The scientist is Julia Sligo the Met Office's chief scientist. and the denier is Nigel Lawson - not a scientist.

What he says (my emphasis)

The former chancellor Lord Lawson has attacked the Met Office's chief scientist for making an "absurd" link between the floods and climate change, as global warming sceptics deny growing warnings of a connection.

The Conservative, who regularly casts doubt on climate science, said the official forecaster's own report showed no proven evidence to associate the floods devastating parts of the UK and global warming

What she says

Dame Julia Slingo said the variable UK climate meant there was "no definitive answer" to what caused the storms.

"But all the evidence suggests there is a link to climate change," she added.

"There is no evidence to counter the basic premise that a warmer world will lead to more intense daily and hourly rain events."
So she has said, quite reasonably, that we can't be sure but it looks very much like it could be true but he says "there is no proof" - as if she has said that there is.

It is one of my old friends the Straw Man Argument. He has, by implication, said that she has said there is 'proof' when she has said no such thing. He has done this as it easier to counter his created point than her actual one.

Cheap trick in my opinion.

He repeats the fallacy ...

"You'll see the Met Office's own report denies it," he said. "It is just this Julia Slingo woman, who made this absurd statement, but their own official statement makes it clear there is no proven link whatever.
He then makes an assertion...

"The fact is, there is no evidence whatever to link it."
Which is, of course, not true. There is loads of evidence but what there isn't is cast-iron proof.

Deniers often use this strategy of fallacy, spin and obfuscation rather than stick to the science.

Sources

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...ing?CMP=twt_fd

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26084625
Old Feb 12th 2014, 6:18 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuchs01
that should keep me going until,
well at least when the Antartica gets to host the World cup.
....with septimus balls-up blatter still in charge, that could happen sooner than you think.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 6:28 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I bet Noah's neighbours said, " global warming " what rubbish is he talking now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.