Wikiposts

Gibraltar

Old Jun 9th 2014, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
One for Fred B.

I posted a letter to Gib from Valencia three weeks back and yesterday asked them if they'd received it ok.

The lady seemed to think I was joking and said allow at least six weeks in total as they hold them in Madrid for two or three of weeks and much the same after they eventually move them on to Marbella.

I can only presume they're playing silly buggers with the post same as the border, unless of course they still use Donkey Express down that way, which wouldn't greatly surprise me either.

Is that the norm for a letter from Spain to Gib, Fred ?

Also what's the norm for a letter from the UK to Gib ?
My record for a letter from UK is four and a half years

Spain is very variable

Many years ago an employee left me and sailed to the Caribbean via the Canaries.

He posted a card in the Canaries and one in Barbados.

The one from Barbados arrived in 2 days on Christmas Eve

The one from the Canaries a couple of months later although posted about a month earlier

However mail to the UK from Gib takes only a couple of days or so.

DHL used to deliver from Manchester parcels in less than 24 hours.

However again it varies usually inversely proportional to urgency. ( DHL )

On one occasion a small package again from Manchester was being delivered to Seville and returned to East Midlands on a daily basis for over 12 days before it got re-routed and arrived in Gib by air from UK. ( DHL )

Last edited by Fredbargate; Jun 9th 2014 at 8:19 am.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 12:11 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Afternoon from a soggy New Zealand Fred.

A couple of years ago my Smother-in-Law posted a card to us . She did not include the name of the country on the envelope , just the name of our village which she mis-spelt.

That card first went to Canada. It then found it's way to the Philippines before finally finding it's way into our mail box.

Time this all took ? A few weeks.

Normal UK NZ delivery time is maybe 6 - 12 days.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

It really is incredible, that 10 days after Cecilia Malmstrom, the EU Commissioner for Home Affairs arrived in Spain for discussions on Ceuta/Melilla and Gibraltar. The only news from Brussels or the Commissioner herself, only concerned her kind donation of 10 million euros to Spain and how elated Malmstrom was after she unethically accepted the tin-pot Spanish award handed to her in Madrid!

Malmstrom last week was very open about her discussions in Madrid, explaining about the serious issues in the two Spanish enclaves across the straits. But said zilch regarding the problem at the Gibraltar frontier. The Commissioner also had time to plaster on her Twitter account photos of her receiving the Spanish award and explaining what the prize meant to her!

“Has Commissioner Malmstrom made contact with the FCO regarding her recent visit to Madrid. At the moment the only thing that has made the news is what the Spanish government are saying regarding the Gibraltar problem and not what Malmstrom has said herself”

Madrid in this sense will make headway, whilst sticking two-fingers up to those on this side of the frontier and in London, who are twiddling thumbs contemplating the various options which must be in the same in-tray as the ad-hoc proposals!

http://www.panorama.gi/localnews/hea...11996&offset=0
Old Jun 11th 2014, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I await gleefully the Revocation of the Treaty of Utrecht.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 1:06 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I await gleefully the Revocation of the Treaty of Utrecht.
more likely to see the muskets and 18inch bayonets being brought out of storage.

where did I keep my big hat with the plume on it ............
Old Jun 12th 2014, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know you were in the Bersaglieri?
M
Old Jun 12th 2014, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
My record for a letter from UK is four and a half years

Spain is very variable

Many years ago an employee left me and sailed to the Caribbean via the Canaries.

He posted a card in the Canaries and one in Barbados.

The one from Barbados arrived in 2 days on Christmas Eve

The one from the Canaries a couple of months later although posted about a month earlier

However mail to the UK from Gib takes only a couple of days or so.

DHL used to deliver from Manchester parcels in less than 24 hours.

However again it varies usually inversely proportional to urgency. ( DHL )

On one occasion a small package again from Manchester was being delivered to Seville and returned to East Midlands on a daily basis for over 12 days before it got re-routed and arrived in Gib by air from UK. ( DHL )
Earlier this year I awaited a small package from Frankfurt with a tracking number. After a few days I went to look and found that it had gone to Berlin and then to Moscow and that was it....... I contacted the sender who contacted the courier who said it was a glitch in the system. No packet arrived. after 5 wks I went on holiday, when I came back I found a scrubby bit of paper from the post office saying, come and pick it up. Next day I went to the PO, they said sorry you should have come within 15 days, Saturday would have been OK (14th day) Today Monday is the 16th. She didn't even go and look. The item arrived back in Frankfurt a week later.
M
Old Jun 12th 2014, 5:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
etc. when I came back I found a scrubby bit of paper from the post office saying, come and pick it up. Next day I went to the PO, they said sorry you should have come within 15 days, Saturday would have been OK (14th day) Today Monday is the 16th. She didn't even go and look. The item arrived back in Frankfurt a week later.
M
LOL that sounds like the Spanish PTT

I frequently get mail items (letters) that have evidently been opened looking for just what I don't know
Old Jun 12th 2014, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

British Government complains to Brussels and Madrid over lengthy border queues

Frontier queues - unpredictable, unrelenting, and the bane of many who cross the border daily – were back with a vengeance this week.

The number of pedestrians and vehicles crossing the border is down by as much as 25% in the first quarter of 2014, according to Gibraltar Government data, but the queues remain.

On Monday, pedestrians faced a wait of over an hour during the evening rush hour. On Tuesday, it was the drivers who faced lengthy evening queues estimated at one point to be over three hours’ long.

Yesterday the tailback started late in the morning but by early afternoon, the Royal Gibraltar Police was warning that drivers faced a wait of several hours if the checks persisted.

The delays prompted the British Government to raise the issue with both the European Commission and the Spanish Government in Madrid.

Gibraltar Chronicle - The Independent Daily First Published 1801
Old Jun 12th 2014, 7:58 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
I didn't know you were in the Bersaglieri?
M
as they were only formed in 1836 they are novices
Old Jun 12th 2014, 9:45 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
British Government complains to Brussels and Madrid over lengthy border queues

Frontier queues - unpredictable, unrelenting, and the bane of many who cross the border daily – were back with a vengeance this week.

The number of pedestrians and vehicles crossing the border is down by as much as 25% in the first quarter of 2014, according to Gibraltar Government data, but the queues remain.

On Monday, pedestrians faced a wait of over an hour during the evening rush hour. On Tuesday, it was the drivers who faced lengthy evening queues estimated at one point to be over three hours’ long.

Yesterday the tailback started late in the morning but by early afternoon, the Royal Gibraltar Police was warning that drivers faced a wait of several hours if the checks persisted.

The delays prompted the British Government to raise the issue with both the European Commission and the Spanish Government in Madrid.

Gibraltar Chronicle - The Independent Daily First Published 1801
Again, they've been complaining long enough...aren't there other options that may actually get results.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Again, they've been complaining long enough...aren't there other options that may actually get results.
Not with the useless bunch of spineless idiots the UK has to lead it
Old Jun 12th 2014, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

pedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond repute

Lions led by Donkeys. Now, where have we heard that before?
Old Jun 12th 2014, 10:37 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Forget Iraq, Ukraine, etc, focus on the traffic queues in Gib.
When will you get the message the UK does not really care, which is why Spain can act as it does.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 12:16 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Forget Iraq, Ukraine, etc, focus on the traffic queues in Gib.
When will you get the message the UK does not really care, which is why Spain can act as it does.
What makes you think that 'we' haven't got the message?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.