Gibraltar

Old Jan 29th 2014, 1:03 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar

Originally Posted by EMR
Are you saying Fred that only YOUR views and reports on Gib are allowed.
I notice that you have not responded to the reports about pollution being caused by the use of dangerous chemicals in Gib waters.
Not good news for the fish you say the government wants to protect.
Nor have you responded to my post enquiring why you haven't bothered to nip across into Gib yourself and see what it's all about, rather than spouting endless misinformation on a subject about which you don't have the faintest clue.

In view of your extreme obsession with Gib, I would have thought it would have been a major priority and the very least you would do.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 1:13 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

So if it comes from the Gibraltar propoganda department then it must be true,
But if the scource is elsewhere and not complimetary to Gib it is misinformation.
That way of thinking is yet another reason to avoid the place.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 2:39 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Are you saying Fred that only YOUR views and reports on Gib are allowed.
I notice that you have not responded to the reports about pollution being caused by the use of dangerous chemicals in Gib waters.
Not good news for the fish you say the government wants to protect.
I would imagine Fred can't be bothered to respond to a post referring to "reports" which aren't referenced.
I have read a news article that was so biased that had a heading of Gibraltar as if it was the only place in the world with a problem whilst citing a number of places around the world who have a potential problem.

And funnily enough one of those was Algeciras, a spit away across the bay from Gibraltar
but we mustn't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Last edited by Domino; Jan 29th 2014 at 3:22 am.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 2:54 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

The point is that bad as Spain is, some would still like to have us think that Gib is free of all faults and misdemeanors.
If you are going to havea go at the neighbours make sure that you are not just as guilty even if on a lower scale.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
I would imagine Fred can't be bothered to respond to a post referring to "reports" which aren't referenced.
Nail head on hit the the :- Dom plus a link to the legislation

Last edited by Fredbargate; Jan 29th 2014 at 4:15 am.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 4:28 am
EMR
Banned

No I believe that like everything else Fred will not respond to any reference to Gib which does not paint it as 100% clean in everything it does.
Which is what you expect from a propoganda department.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 5:00 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
No I believe that like everything else Fred will not respond to any reference to Gib which does not paint it as 100% clean in everything it does.
Which is what you expect from a propoganda department.
people try to help you and yet you still have to bite them

I fully understand the subject being raised, and also that Gib is probably the smallest offender - if it is actually an offender as most of it is hearsay

and I am a defender of Gib and understand more than you realise that Gib isn't (and can never be) 100 squeeky because of all the people who come and go, which is normal for any port. I don't think Fred is acting as a propaganda machine, just putting things as they are and posting information relating to the problems that the residents and workers there have to cope with on a daily basis from their much larger, bullying, neighbour.

have you managed to get yourself there yet ??
Old Jan 29th 2014, 5:20 am
EMR
Banned

Just Google. Pollution in the Bay of Gibraltar and you will see articles from a very wide range of scources.
If only 20% comes from Gib that is 20% too much and if the Government of Gib is serious about cleaning up the bay and really want to focus to be on Spain then Gib should stop everything and anything that could be a cause of pollution.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 5:33 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
A trip to the rock could turn out to be an expensive day out. apparently there is a plan to introduce fines if caught feeding the apes £250-£4000.
We will see protests from the peanut sellers.?
I have been to Gibraltar hundreds of times and have never ever seen a peanut seller.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 6:09 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
So if it comes from the Gibraltar propoganda department then it must be true,
But if the scource is elsewhere and not complimetary to Gib it is misinformation.
That way of thinking is yet another reason to avoid the place.
Originally Posted by EMR
The point is that bad as Spain is, some would still like to have us think that Gib is free of all faults and misdemeanors.
If you are going to havea go at the neighbours make sure that you are not just as guilty even if on a lower scale.
Originally Posted by EMR
Just Google. Pollution in the Bay of Gibraltar and you will see articles from a very wide range of scources.
If only 20% comes from Gib that is 20% too much and if the Government of Gib is serious about cleaning up the bay and really want to focus to be on Spain then Gib should stop everything and anything that could be a cause of pollution.
You really have got a silly little bee in your bonnet about this haven't you?

You really ought to do some more finding out before rather comically trying to diss a place you have never been to and know very little about. Many of us know quite a bit about the place having been there many times and living near there or whatever.

I for one am not particularly enamoured of the place and I'm certainly not of the opinion that they do everything right all the time.

But your attempts to do Gibraltar down are, frankly, rather laughable.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by EMR
so "if only only 20% comes from Gib" why aren't you shouting about Algeciras and its 80%
sorry - forgot for a moment you had an ulterior motive, so its a good job muslims aren't involved

but something that has to be put into the pot is that this problem relates to the cleaning of hulls of growth that will slow the ship thru the water.
the so called ethical way of doing this is to strip the hull back to bare metal in a dry dock, from the floor of which the growth and the paint previously put on the hull to stop/hinder the growth can be collected up and removed "ethically". It is the paint residue that is causing the pollution.

now if a ship owner wants to save some money he has the bottom scraped to remove the growth (as well as any inhibiting paint). This is done by divers, which although not cheap, reduces the cost of renting a dry dock, and the ship turns round (generally) quicker.

now, if a customer came to you and said he wanted the cheapest way (divers) even though you offered the dry dock (dearest) option are you going to turn the contract down or just get on with it
its a no win situation, especially as although Gib is more ethical than Algeciras if it comes down to losing a contract to the guy over the other side of the bay you do what the customer asks.

but you knew all that, you understand all about the options, the commercial side of the business, and that someone has to win.
but instead you have to keep blaming "Gib" without opening your mouth about the other 80% which comes from Spain.

I am seriously considering asking a Moderator to investigate your true antecedents as you appear to be a mouthpiece for the Spanish Ministry for Disinformation
Old Jan 29th 2014, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

so "if only only 20% comes from Gib" why aren't you shouting about Algeciras and its 80%
sorry - forgot for a moment you had an ulterior motive, so its a good job muslims aren't involved

but something that has to be put into the pot is that this problem relates to the cleaning of hulls of growth that will slow the ship thru the water.
the so called ethical way of doing this is to strip the hull back to bare metal in a dry dock, from the floor of which the growth and the paint previously put on the hull to stop/hinder the growth can be collected up and removed "ethically". It is the paint residue that is causing the pollution.

now if a ship owner wants to save some money he has the bottom scraped to remove the growth (as well as any inhibiting paint). This is done by divers, which although not cheap, reduces the cost of renting a dry dock, and the ship turns round (generally) quicker.

now, if a customer came to you and said he wanted the cheapest way (divers) even though you offered the dry dock (dearest) option are you going to turn the contract down or just get on with it
its a no win situation, especially as although Gib is more ethical than Algeciras if it comes down to losing a contract to the guy over the other side of the bay you do what the customer asks.

but you knew all that, you understand all about the options, the commercial side of the business, and that someone has to win.
but instead you have to keep blaming "Gib" without opening your mouth about the other 80% which comes from Spain.

I am seriously considering asking a Moderator to investigate your true antecedents as you appear to be a mouthpiece for the Spanish Ministry for Disinformation
I went to Gib once, and that back of the country is a big waste disposal site and it looked to me like they did just burn it and then tip it in the sea. I am sure they did not do that though, hic
Old Jan 29th 2014, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by andyrich666
I went to Gib once, and that back of the country is a big waste disposal site and it looked to me like they did just burn it and then tip it in the sea. I am sure they did not do that though, hic
so what's different to the cruise liners, tankers, fishing boats et al who drop their wast over the side ??
Oh yes, they aren't Gib are they

I remember being off Aden (don't ask will have to kill you)
and the ship I was on was there so long that the guys on sonar could report if the ship was off course as they followed the signature of beer cans lying on the bottom
Old Jan 29th 2014, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

so what's different to the cruise liners, tankers, fishing boats et al who drop their wast over the side ??
Oh yes, they aren't Gib are they

I remember being off Aden (don't ask will have to kill you)
and the ship I was on was there so long that the guys on sonar could report if the ship was off course as they followed the signature of beer cans lying on the bottom
You would hope they went a bit further out ?

Nice story !
Old Jan 29th 2014, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Gib is probably the smallest offender - if it is actually an offender
I've yet to find any legislation that says it's an offence.However if it does rest assured it will be put into local law and policed unlike most other southern European countries.

However I can find lots of companies advertising their hull cleaning services all over Europe and the world.

If we were offending then rest assured our delightful neighbours would have reported us to to every authority they could think of, they are doing that all the time about other things only to be shot down because they are generally wrong.

and I am a defender of Gib and understand more than you realise that Gib isn't (and can never be) 100 squeeky
Absolutely correct Dom we are 110% squeaky clean because our friendly EU neighbour and NATO ally would snipe at a mere 100%

Last edited by Fredbargate; Jan 29th 2014 at 7:31 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.