Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Old Aug 20th 2016, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

I also had difficulties with a UK builder who was doing the original work on my house. The actual work he did was of a pretty good standard, but the admin and costings side of it was appalling. He was originally employed to do some initial work whilst we were out of the country in preparation for us moving in and then doing the major building work whilst we were here. It all went a bit pear shaped so we arranged for a local builder to continue. He had no problem obtaining the correct permits etc as he was doing that regularly.
At one point the UK builder wanted to do something that was against building regs. He knew this but we didn't. He tried to manipulate us without us knowing about the regs into saying things on paper that would help cover his back but not ours if the wheels came off.
It left a nasty taste in our mouths.

No doubt there are many reputable non-Spanish builders and his actions in this and other things may well have been a one-off. There are good and bad in everything. But I'd now always plump for a local bloke.
But, as with builders everywhere, there are good and bad as well. A Spanish friend nearby wanted a house building. He employed a local firm to do it and gave them a load of starting money. Two weeks later the owner did a midnight flit and the friend was left way out of pocket.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 9:33 am
Just Joined

ZenaC is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't comment re other UK builders but can regarding Daves work as used him myself and having lived out here years he knows exactly what building permits and regs are needed.

Tbh I've also heard horror stories on Spanish builders, depends who you are talking to.

My advise is whoever you use if you are talking work costing hundreds if not thousands, do your homework. Ask to see before and after pics of prev work. Ask to see references and if possible a ref who will speak to you direct either via phone or email and not just a ref you see online.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Maur-Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Good advice. The whole prospect can be scary and costly
Old Sep 1st 2016, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

ZenaC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by timmyf
I personally wouldn't trust any English persons to do my construction work , it's a very different way to build here the materials are different and they do things in a very different way , I was a qualified bricklayer before changing carreer , and most of the Brits only have the Ryanair building / plumbing / electric certificates I've heard some horror stories of construction incompetence one from a person that has been named on here , so yes there are plenty of builders out here but good ones only a few , and remember peeps most things constructed need a licencia de obra minor from the local council
(Ive borrowed my friend Zenas account here to reply)

My first comment would be that this forum is for British and the comments relate to English which implies only one race of Great Britain. I'm sure no offence was meant but it can be construed as such.

I moved to Spain 12 years ago and in the UK I ran a company which was a member of the Federation of Master Builders and also Corgi registered. Our work included work on Cathedrals and Grade I and II listed buildings as well as being registered to carry out work in several London Boroughs and In Norfolk, Suffolk and East Sussex for borough councils with a special dispensation to work in Science Laboratories on the Isle of Man.

I would agree on moving to Spain, and seeing the way that work is carried out and the materials used can differ from the UK but with a little practice a competent builder can soon master the materials and a house has 4 walls and a roof and the general skills learnt and applied are the same no matter your location. I have personally worked on properties for both UK and Spanish residents here in Spain and in fact I would say that the quality of construction in the UK is superior to Spain due to climate here and the constant change of weather in the UK. Houses in the UK are built to withstand all extremes of weather, whereas until recent climate changes locally built houses in Spain were only built to withstand high temperatures. Any professional builder whether UK or Spanish would be expected to know and check the local building regulations and licences.

Whilst I would accept that some UK Builders are of dubious skillsets you cant't paint them all with the same brush.

ps Can I still apply for my RyanAir certificates although I drove down and if so where lol.

Last edited by ZenaC; Sep 1st 2016 at 1:19 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Granjero is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey up Timmy I will
Pm you need a bit of advice
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Nicola brown is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Granjero
Hey up Timmy I will
Pm you need a bit of advice
Hi everyone, hope all well. Just wondering whether any of you guys have been asked to declare your earnings to your Spanish bank recently. I have just received an email stating I need to send in a P 60 or a tax return! Apparently this is being asked of all clients. I have obviously requested more information. I have also been reading up on some of the Spanish taxation laws that came into power in 2012, which only just seem to be commonly known!!! I'm sure these only apply to full time residents of Spain, but still very concerning if they are correct, as I'm sure many of us hope to become full time residents one day!!!!! However, I'm concerned I may be missing something that may have changed after our exit from EU? If I have to declare my earnings, it will obviously apply to all! Any information people????? Regards Nicola x
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

wicklowjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nicola brown
Hi everyone, hope all well. Just wondering whether any of you guys have been asked to declare your earnings to your Spanish bank recently. I have just received an email stating I need to send in a P 60 or a tax return! Apparently this is being asked of all clients. I have obviously requested more information. I have also been reading up on some of the Spanish taxation laws that came into power in 2012, which only just seem to be commonly known!!! I'm sure these only apply to full time residents of Spain, but still very concerning if they are correct, as I'm sure many of us hope to become full time residents one day!!!!! However, I'm concerned I may be missing something that may have changed after our exit from EU? If I have to declare my earnings, it will obviously apply to all! Any information people????? Regards Nicola x
good luck with that never thought of that if we have to pay tax in Spain. was thinking of starting up a business there and will have to factor in taxes. in fact we should be getting a tax refund paying local council taxes as in refuse on houses that are not occupied all year along with paying heavily when buying the house if non nationals did not but them there whould be in fact be a short fall in the taxes
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wicklowjack

good luck with that never thought of that if we have to pay tax in Spain. was thinking of starting up a business there and will have to factor in taxes. in fact we should be getting a tax refund paying local council taxes as in refuse on houses that are not occupied all year along with paying heavily when buying the house if non nationals did not but them there whould be in fact be a short fall in the taxes
That is so interesting! I hope the same will apply to me? That way I will only pay a certain amount for my time in the UK and probably even less for my time in Spain as I am not there so much.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

wicklowjack is an unknown quantity at this point

has anyone had experience in renting there property out have herd horror stories about rented properties rented out long term and not getting paid after the first month and tennents not moving out for up to 5 years ,apparently the courts favour the tennets more than the owner particularly if the owner is an expat
Old Sep 16th 2016, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

tfirth is an unknown quantity at this point

Who is the water supplier for Martos?
Old Sep 20th 2016, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

littletony is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are considering a move to Andalusia and we will both hope to teach English there (the Jaen/Martos area looks a possibility with teaching position ads online and good property prices) So we know there are language academies there and we are reasonably confident regarding employment. My inquiry is, with many ex pats being retired and/or absent some of the time, are there many ex pats with young children there permanently? Is there good interaction between Spanish kids and other kids? Any advice on this will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 2:53 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littletony
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are considering a move to Andalusia and we will both hope to teach English there (the Jaen/Martos area looks a possibility with teaching position ads online and good property prices) So we know there are language academies there and we are reasonably confident regarding employment. My inquiry is, with many ex pats being retired and/or absent some of the time, are there many ex pats with young children there permanently? Is there good interaction between Spanish kids and other kids? Any advice on this will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 21st 2016, 8:34 am
Just Joined

littletony is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Thanks Rosemary. Appreciated.
I am just trying to get a sense of the demographic of that particular area. What it is like for ex pat young kids and if there are many there on a permanent basis or is it mostly Spanish with a sprinkling of ex pat retirees.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Maur-Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Haven't heard from you Jaen/Martos folk in a while. How was your summer and how are you all getting on with your renovations?
Old Oct 21st 2016, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Nicola brown is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, hope all is well. Just got back from another visit to my little Casa in martos. Major problems getting in......😥..... metal expanded on front door!!!! 35 mins later and major help from the ' little old couple' next door, were in .... yeahhhh!!!! Dropped the cases, popped the cork and spent the rest of the evening chilling on the terrace!! 😃 lots achieved........painting, filling, more painting!!! We did get two days of down pours though, and, unfortunately, discovered a couple of leaks in the roof 😞 . Took the bus, for the first time, from Martos to Malaga, which actually left at 10.30, not 10!!!! All good though, reached Malaga in just under 4 hours. A little confusing after though! I was told to walk through to the train station, out the other side, and wait at the bus stop for a No. 110 bus, which travelled along the coast??? Found the nearest bus stop directly outside train station, but no idea if we were standing in the correct place! Any help appreciated ? Or is there a train that travels this way??? We got a taxi, so I am none the wiser!!!!! Stayed the Port side of the coast, very local and, not at all commercial 👍 Anyway that's me, how is everyone else doing? How's it going for 'brave few' that have moved out to Martos permanently? I still see very few English when there! Also took a trip to the bank with my tax return. Apparently, quite a few English have had to do this, residents and non residents. I think this is to prove that, if working, you are paying tax in either country. Any help appreciated on the bus/train situation, cheers Nicola

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.