Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Old May 31st 2016, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Nicola brown is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Hi everyone, hope all well with you. Just back from Martos, the weather was lovely and I was able to do LOTS of outside painting!!!! The garden was pretty green, and overgrown, hence the rain previously. Took my second visit to the Saturday market, and was really pleased to see a much wider variety of stalls, selling plants, garden furniture and house furniture, as well as the fabrics, shoes, and clothes. Also bumped into Mohammad, who now seems to have a new office opening as I speak and a new English guy called Tom to translate!! I know where I'll be going when I need some D I Y!! Thinking I might try and return in July sometime, but hoping to visit IKEA en route. Was wondering whether anyone has used the IKEA sight whilst still in Britain to order any furniture. It's ok looking, but not much point if they don't have what you want when you arrive!! Any help much appreciated
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nicola, I need someone to do some DIY (rendering and plastering) on my place in Monte Lope Alvarez - opposite side of main road from Martos. Is there any chance you can give me details of Mohammed and Tom? An email address perhaps? Would like to use someone who comes recommended. Thanks
Old Jun 5th 2016, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Nicola brown is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Amanda sorry for slow reply, work very hectic!!!! His number is 627102942. Good luck x
Old Jun 6th 2016, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

wicklowjack is an unknown quantity at this point

anyone know a cheep place i can get tiles need to tile the downstairs of the house and what price are they per sq mt. i can lay them my self just cheep ones nothing fancy or expensive
Old Jun 6th 2016, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Beki is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello peeps, hope everyone is keeping well? Earlier in this thread I read that some of you are learning Spanish, I've just started learning through an app called Duolingo - it's free, available on android, iPhone and PC versions and it was created by Bill Gates in partnership with Google and its designed to help you speak fluently in 3 months! It's very user friendly and good fun, I thought this might be useful for some of you :-D x
Old Jun 6th 2016, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beki
Hello peeps, hope everyone is keeping well? Earlier in this thread I read that some of you are learning Spanish, I've just started learning through an app called Duolingo - it's free, available on android, iPhone and PC versions and it was created by Bill Gates in partnership with Google and its designed to help you speak fluently in 3 months! It's very user friendly and good fun, I thought this might be useful for some of you :-D x
Now that is what I call an optimistic App!
Old Jun 7th 2016, 6:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jonboy
Now that is what I call an optimistic App!
Lol it is good fun although I'm struggling with the plurals but we'll see, I'm over in September for holiday + house hunting so I can try it out ;-) x
Old Jun 7th 2016, 10:23 am
Just Joined

pickle04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have also come across Duolingo and like Beki I have found it great to use. Although it is South American Spanish rather than European. Therefore, some terms what the European Spanish use differ to those of the South American Spanish speakers.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pickle04
Hi, I have also come across Duolingo and like Beki I have found it great to use. Although it is South American Spanish rather than European. Therefore, some terms what the European Spanish use differ to those of the South American Spanish speakers.
Oh I didn't realise that, thank you - think I might email Mr Gates and suggest he puts a European option on lol it's got the Spanish flag attatched to it so I assumed it was. Is it vastly different? Feel a bit deflated now lol I thought I was doing so well ;-) x
Old Jun 7th 2016, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

My other half speaks Spanish but learnt in South America.
Our Spanish friends originally thought she was Mexican.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mark604
My other half speaks Spanish but learnt in South America.
Our Spanish friends originally thought she was Mexican.
Did the difference cause any problems or embarrassment? My self and my other half are just trying to grasp the basics in the hope that when we move to Spain we'll have enough to be able to communicate and learn as we go :-)
Old Jun 7th 2016, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

A few different words but nothing major. It is more the accent that was commented upon.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

pickle04 is an unknown quantity at this point

As Mark604 stated some of the words are different. I thought I would just point it out because if you are new to learning Spanish you will not realise this. I only realised because I have been learning Spanish and noticed different words for things on Doulingo that I had already learnt. I jut thought to mention it.
I did find it helpful and easy to get through.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pickle04
As Mark604 stated some of the words are different. I thought I would just point it out because if you are new to learning Spanish you will not realise this. I only realised because I have been learning Spanish and noticed different
words for things on Doulingo that I had already learnt. I jut thought to mention it.
I did find it helpful and
easy to get through.
Oh No pickle I was grateful, I did look into it after your post and I'm gonna stick with it cos according to posts on duolingo and other forums by European Spanish peeps and linguistic peeps the difference is easily overcome once yr surrounded by the language and speaking/hearing it daily. As we're planning on hopefully living in Spain full time we wanted to be able to integrate, interact and function within the Spanish community and this will give us a good starting point I think. Thank you for the info tho, it's much appreciated :-D x
Old Jun 8th 2016, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

AdrianMalcolm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.

I want to book the 3pm bus from Malaga to Martos but the alsa booking site doesn't say where in Malaga I have to catch the bus. I was hoping it would be from the airport. Does anyone know?
Thanks in advance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.