Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Old Jun 15th 2016, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Beki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Originally Posted by wicklowjack

Spain - Electricity | ExpatFocus.com

this should answer a few questions for you

Thanks for that Jack certainly answered some for me :-) the only thing I was unsure of was the standing charge if I understand it correctly that's a monthly charge billed bi-monthly? Or is it a daily charge billed bi-monthly? I'm just making a list of what I can live without electric wise lol just don't think about it over here, plug stuff in and it works! Lol ;-) x
Old Jun 15th 2016, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

Nicola, maybe you are checking the bus too far in advance. There is a bus the day before but none after on the website. Wait a day or two and try again.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Nicola brown is an unknown quantity at this point

Awe thanks Mark, didn't even give that a thought!!!! So much too think about at the moment. Trying to visit IKEA to order furniture, before getting the bus, as I believe they now deliver to the province of Jaen, fingers crossed!!! Unless I can actually manage to order from England before I go, not easy though!!!!!! Thanks again
Old Jun 15th 2016, 10:40 am
Just Joined

HappyCouple is an unknown quantity at this point

spain uses both 110volt and 220volt electrics most of the homes in matos are 110volt you can test them with a multi meter only costs €5 in the asian bazaar. also easy to spot if the wires are exposed ie stapled across the ceiling to the light most likely they are 110volt but best to make sure by testing them.
220 volt should be in trunking and plastered over the cost of 1000 is a bargain when you consider you have to buy new trunking, wiring, and consumer trip switch box , chasing the trunking in to the the walls and re-plastering it all by a qualified electrician also you will probably will want more sockets installed more to you want for living i would hazzard €2000 would be more realistic
Thanks Jack, that helped a lot! We can get all the tracking & plastering done ourselves, hopefully this would bring our price down. Such a simple thing here seems a bit of a nightmare over there. Been reading up extensively on sites and found a couple of forums all about Electrics in Spain, sparks from UK and Spanish sparks all talking to each other about it so we are a bit wiser now
Nicola - wow that is expensive! I will let you know next week what that budget entailed from Derryl
Old Jun 15th 2016, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

We have ordered and had delivered stuff from IKEA, my kitchen for example. But I seem to remember then (2011) were at the northern limit near Alcaudete. I understand they do go further now.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

wicklowjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nicola brown
Hi everyone, has anyone taken the bus from Malaga bus station to martos bus station re entry, and vis versa? Goi g over on the 18th July and decided to give the bus a try, but having little success!!!! Putting all information on ALSA site, but keeps saying no buses!!!!!! As far as I'm aware, buses run once a day, weekdays only, leaving Malaga bus depot at 3 arriving Martos at 7, and Martos bus depot at 10.00 arriving Malaga at 2, is this still correct???? Also only had one quote for rewire, over £3/4,000, which I thought quite expensive! This was not Derryl/Diego though!
All help appreciated Nicola
yes it is the times long trip just go there and pay cash easy as pie
3/4,000 is more realistic in deed
when you planing to go again
Old Jun 15th 2016, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mark604
We have ordered and had delivered stuff from IKEA, my kitchen for example. But I seem to remember then (2011) were at the northern limit near Alcaudete. I understand they do go further now.
Hi there, I wonder if you can help as you have had dealings with IKEA, be it 5 years ago! I'm sure not a lot has changed! First of all did any of the staff talk English? I ve learnt a little Spanish, but still have trouble understanding it!!!! Also I am hoping they will be able to deliver within a couple of days, I think the site states 72 hours max, but it's hard to be certain! I have found a telephone no, but no help if no English tLking staff! I know a lot of people hire a van themselves, but as I'm on my own, I really don't fancy that and would r at her pay someone else. Your helps much appreciated, cheers Nicola
Old Jun 15th 2016, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm not sure at all with Ikea if you can just phone up and order, or even do it online. Can you do that if that's what you want? We always paid a personal visit and sorted stuff out face to face.
I know the staff at the information desk in the branch in Malaga could speak English. Many of the other staff could as well and there was never any difficulty finding someone who did but - my other half speaks Spanish anyway so it wasn't normally an issue for us unless I went by myself. Which I did, but it was rare.

I've been told we had things delivered three times. The kitchen (which they fitted also) and two other sets of stuff. We went to the store, put what we wanted on a trolley or two and/or asked them for the item as it was one of those large things like a bed they had in the back. We paid at the checkout, went to the counter for deliveries and sorted it out and paid for that as well.
Everything was either delivered the next day or the day after.

Doing it without a visit is not something we've done but yes, someone did speak English and yes, it arrived within a couple of days.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

AdrianMalcolm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nicola. I checked the buses out and all seems fine so I am not sure why it would say 'no buses' on the website. I have decided to hire a car this time but at a future date I want to hire a car as my plane leaves Malaga at 12pm and as you say, the bus arrives at 2.
If that is £s it would be very expensive at that price unless you have a mansion. Even if it's in €s that still sounds too much. I will see Diego next Monday so I will try and remember to ask him.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

yes it is the times long trip just go there and pay cash easy as pie
3/4,000 is more realistic in deed
when you planing to go again
Hi WJack, ha yes, i wish it was 'as easy as pie'!!!! We shall see! I am back in Martos 18th July to 27th July, will probably be a little too hot I think, but at least the pool will be open! How about you, when are you next over, and how's your little place coming along?
Old Jun 15th 2016, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AdrianMalcolm
Hi Nicola. I checked the buses out and all seems fine so I am not sure why it would say 'no buses' on the website. I have decided to hire a car this time but at a future date I want to hire a car as my plane leaves Malaga at 12pm and as you say, the bus arrives at 2.
If that is £s it would be very expensive at that price unless you have a mansion. Even if it's in €s that still sounds too much. I will see Diego next Monday so I will try and remember to ask him.
Hi Adrian that is really strange, although another expat user said he could only look up to the 17th, so maybe it was a little early for my particular dates!! Anyway I shall take another look. Yes I thought it was quite expensive, any information from Diego would be much appreciated, cheers
Old Jun 15th 2016, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mark604
I'm not sure at all with Ikea if you can just phone up and order, or even do it online. Can you do that if that's what you want? We always paid a personal visit and sorted stuff out face to face.
I know the staff at the information desk in the branch in Malaga could speak English. Many of the other staff could as well and there was never any difficulty finding someone who did but - my other half speaks Spanish anyway so it wasn't normally an issue for us unless I went by myself. Which I did, but it was rare.

I've been told we had things delivered three times. The kitchen (which they fitted also) and two other sets of stuff. We went to the store, put what we wanted on a trolley or two and/or asked them for the item as it was one of those large things like a bed they had in the back. We paid at the checkout, went to the counter for deliveries and sorted it out and paid for that as well.
Everything was either delivered the next day or the day after.

Doing it without a visit is not something we've done but yes, someone did speak English and yes, it arrived within a couple of days.
Hi Mark, thanks for all that information, really helps. The fact that there will be a few English speaking staff will certainly ease the situation. I will keep you informed, thanks again
Old Jun 15th 2016, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've just checked the Alsa website (in English) once more and there is a bus for the 17th on there, but still for the 18th it says, "The travel date is too far ahead. No purchase possible".
Old Jun 16th 2016, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Debbbiem is an unknown quantity at this point

hi I have just joined today I have bought a house in old town of Martos in July after a very stressful process and several stressful follow on visits I fly out on Monday for 10 days hopefully to get yet more work done and enjoy my stay. I'm planning to take early retirement and move there in a few years but as a single person I'm keen to find out if there is any English community there as my Spanish is limited but I'm trying any advise welcome
Old Jun 16th 2016, 3:45 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.