British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/does-anyone-live-jaen-martos-area-737663/)

the_london_family Nov 2nd 2011 3:37 pm

Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Hi, we're moving to martos soon and were wondering if anybody could give us any general advice. On the area, living there, shopping, people? All information would be hugely appreciated! :):)

anonimouse Nov 2nd 2011 5:54 pm

Re: Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Originally Posted by the_london_family (Post 9710684)
Hi, we're moving to martos soon and were wondering if anybody could give us any general advice. On the area, living there, shopping, people? All information would be hugely appreciated! :):)

Martos has a very good Chinese restaurant, it also has a great and large Saturday market behind the theatre, on the road with the funny trees.

JLFS Nov 2nd 2011 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by anonimouse (Post 9710914)
Martos has a very good Chinese restaurant, it also has a great and large Saturday market behind the theatre, on the road with the funny trees.

One mans funny trees is another mans arboreal masterpiece.:D

anonimouse Nov 2nd 2011 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9710925)
One mans funny trees is another mans arboreal masterpiece.:D

They are very nice actually, strange shape would have been a better description:o, Not seen trees like them before, they arch over the whole road from both sides giving it shade and are like flat topped.

the_london_family Nov 2nd 2011 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by anonimouse (Post 9710914)

Thanks!

But Gosh, who moves to spain to eat chinese food?!?!??! :rofl:

The funny trees.. are SO BEAUTIFUL aren't they. :)
They're actually called a "canape" of trees :)
They have them on Holland Park Avenue and in many other little roads in London.

JLFS Nov 2nd 2011 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by the_london_family (Post 9710971)
Thanks!

But Gosh, who moves to spain to eat chinese food?!?!??! :rofl:

we have been over the "who moves to Spain to each Chinese food numerous times.

And lots do eat Chinese food in Spain, and why not if you like it?

jackytoo Nov 2nd 2011 6:26 pm

Most Spanish I know like Chinese food. After you have been in Spain a couple of years a chines meal will be welcome after all that Ham, Cheese and Pork:rofl:

JLFS Nov 2nd 2011 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9710999)
Most Spanish I know like Chinese food. After you have been in Spain a couple of years a chines meal will be welcome after all that Ham, Cheese and Pork:rofl:

And the spatcho........:rofl:

anonimouse Nov 2nd 2011 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by the_london_family (Post 9710971)
Thanks!

But Gosh, who moves to spain to eat chinese food?!?!??!
:rofl:

Ahh no, you wouldn't move here for a Chinese, but if you do enjoy a good Chinese meal, you wouldn't be laughing for long:rofl: Like I say you are so lucky there's a good one in Martos so you shouldn't be affected.

After a year or two without one, it might be one thing you will be so grateful for. Your next closest I think, is miles away and that's crap.

anonimouse Nov 2nd 2011 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9710999)

So very true:thumbsup: and I doubt it will take two years lol

webb15 Nov 6th 2011 8:29 am

There are quite a few expats who live in Martos and many more in the surrounding area.

More again that have a second/holiday home there.

I´ve lived near Martos since 1996.

Rosemary Nov 7th 2011 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by webb15 (Post 9717274)
There are quite a few expats who live in Martos and many more in the surrounding area.

More again that have a second/holiday home there.

I´ve lived near Martos since 1996.

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham

not peter Feb 13th 2012 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by the_london_family (Post 9710684)

Hi lots of good shops in Martos, three big supermarkets, A good cheap electrical sore on the street in front of the market, (bottom of street). People are really nice you just need to make an effort with the language and try to fit in.

Rosemary Feb 14th 2012 5:56 am

Originally Posted by not peter (Post 9900455)
Hi lots of good shops in Martos, three big supermarkets, A good cheap electrical sore on the street in front of the market, (bottom of street). People are really nice you just need to make an effort with the language and try to fit in.

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

Bedwells Feb 18th 2012 8:50 am

Hello The London Family!!

Have you moved to Martos yet and of so what do you think of the town?
We are presently living in Murcia but are looking for a change and so interested in your opinion, especially after HillyBilly told me Alcaudete is a bit of a run-down-town.
Thanks