COLD

Old Dec 2nd 2010, 4:40 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COLD

Originally Posted by Lionda
I am in the North of England and it's freezing cold but if you wrap up for the weather you are ok and in fact walking makes you warm. I have lived in Spain and to be perfectly honest .. I prefer being England in the winter. In fact I prefer being in England all year round It's good to be back
Likewise up North in the North East hills and can honestly say I'm quite enjoying it.
Although there's two feet or more of snow and very low temperatures,the forecasted blizzards never materialized, and its expected to stay clear and crisp for the next few days.
Shall probably delay my return to Spain until the worst of the Spanish winter is over.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 5:12 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
I am in the North of England and it's freezing cold but if you wrap up for the weather you are ok and in fact walking makes you warm. I have lived in Spain and to be perfectly honest .. I prefer being England in the winter. In fact I prefer being in England all year round It's good to be back
I'm glad you are happy where you are. Me, I'm happy here. I'd rather die here than live there to be honest.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 5:13 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Likewise up North in the North East hills and can honestly say I'm quite enjoying it.
Yer a sick man.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 7:26 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Some people are being "fanciful" here, and I'm fairly sure it's not me. All my work colleagues (many of whom travel in from differing locations) have found the weather bitterly cold, and it really isn't pleasant walking in such a biting wind. If you're travelling to the UK at this time, don't just bring warm clothing - keep an eye on the BBC news - there are reports of airports closing, people being stranded in cars or trains overnight. Today, Southern trains cancelled all its trains due to extreme conditions, and it's been claimed that it's the coldest start to December ever. Even the transport of things like fuel and letters has been affected:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11904765

If you're about to book a flight it may be best to choose a Heathrow flight - unlike Gatwick they've managed to keep it open. Latest news on Gatwick (watching Sky as I write this) - it won't be open until tomorrow at the earliest.

Not all bad news - apparently sales of sledges have soared.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 7:42 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Yer a sick man.
Just the opposite.
This is real healthy weather.
There's nowt like a few good hard frosts to kill of bacteria,bugs and infections that tourists bring back from dodgy places.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 7:46 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe

Not all bad news - apparently sales of sledges have soared.

If Winters are going to continue like this,my next dog will be a Husky.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Some people are being "fanciful" here, and I'm fairly sure it's not me. All my work colleagues (many of whom travel in from differing locations) have found the weather bitterly cold, and it really isn't pleasant walking in such a biting wind.
That's right, but it depends where you are in UK. I've been out for about 5 hours today taking photos, driven about 80 miles and never saw any snow or ice on the roads. Temperatures have been 2-3 degrees, obviously not hot, but not hat, gloves and scarf weather either. You need to get out of that office more! You sound like my wife! We're lucky, I realise that, especially when I see the news, it looks pretty grim in most places.

Last edited by agoreira; Dec 2nd 2010 at 8:15 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 8:21 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I realise that, especially when I see the news, it looks pretty grim in most places.
Well at least you admitted it in your last sentence, after painting a rosy picture. Most parts of the UK would love your 2 or 3C - I understand some parts of Scotland were -10 to -15 at midday today!
The amount of places listed in the following link gives a good summary of what's happening in much of the UK. If you're travelling there take precautions! It really isn't easy to travel in some places.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/20...isruption-live

Britain continues to be beset by snow. Gatwick Airport will remain closed all day today due to the severe weather conditions, with officials warning it will not reopen until at least 6am tomorrow.

Edinburgh Airport is also closed, but staff were hopeful the runway would reopen at 12 noon today.

Train travellers will face major disruption. Dozens of passengers were forced to spend last night on a stranded train between London and Brighton, although train operator Southern, which cancelled all services this morning, was unable to give any further details.

On the roads, Hampshire police issued a warning to motorists as heavy snow fell overnight. HGV drivers were warned avoid the A3 and treacherous conditions were reported on the A3M. The M3 was closed northbound at junction 9 because of a jack-knifed lorry and the M27 was reduced to one lane between junctions 5 and 7.

In Kent, police asked drivers to avoid the M20 after closing the slip roads at junctions 8, 9 and 10 of the coastbound carriageway due to blizzard conditions and freezing temperatures. Forces in Essex and Sussex also advised people to only make essential trips as snow fell throughout the night. Surrey Police told drivers to only use roads in an emergency after declaring all roads in the county treacherous.

Widespread ice caused major problems nationwide yesterday, with the AA attending more than 11,300 incidents. The RAC also saw call volumes rise to unprecedented levels for this time of year. In Crawley, West Sussex, a motorcyclist was killed in a crash involving a lorry at 5.10am, and a woman died after falling into a freezing lake at Pontefract racecourse, West Yorkshire.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Well at least you admitted it in your last sentence, after painting a rosy picture. Most parts of the UK would love your 2 or 3C -
Looks warmer tomorrow, but not so sunny!

Mostly Cloudy
4°C
Feels Like 1°C
Chance of Precip. 20%

Mostly Cloudy
4°C
Feels Like 0°C
Chance of Precip. 60%
My son should have been landing at Gatwick this afternoon, but of course, he's cancelled. He's in the Miltary, they are hoping to fly him back into Bristol tomorrow. At least for him it's no big deal, they will pick up all the bills.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 10:11 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Looks warmer tomorrow, but not so sunny!

My son should have been landing at Gatwick this afternoon, but of course, he's cancelled. He's in the Miltary, they are hoping to fly him back into Bristol tomorrow. At least for him it's no big deal, they we will pick up all the bills.
oops...
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 5:36 am
Not Banned (yet)

minus 9 in brum this morning, minus 4 in London. High of minus one today plus lingering fog. But we've lost that bitter wind so it will feel like a heatwave!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jimenato
oops...
Even if you are stil paying a bit of tax in UK, it'll be a pittance, so your share will amount to next to nothing. If you're struggling out there, I'll send you a euro to more than cover your expenses. Me, and millions more here in UK don't have a problem paying for our forces, hence why Help for Heroes has quickly received more than £78m and become one of the largest charities in very short time. And my son has raised thousands for the charity.

Last edited by agoreira; Dec 3rd 2010 at 7:55 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:43 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Even if you are stil paying a bit of tax in UK, it'll be a pittance, so your share will amount to next to nothing. If you're struggling out there, I'll send you a euro to more than cover your expenses. Me, and millions more here in UK don't have a problem paying for our forces, hence why Help for Heroes has quickly received more the £78m and become one of the largest charities in very short time. And he personally has raised thousands for the charity.
Sorry - no offence meant and I am quite happy for my tax to be used in this way. It's just that I have this irresistible urge to change all references to "government money" and the like to "our money". I can't help it.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jimenato
Sorry - no offence meant and I am quite happy for my tax to be used in this way. It's just that I have this irresistible urge to change all references to "government money" and the like to "our money". I can't help it.
No problem.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

xxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nice

A sprinkling of snow here, up the mountain this morning... brrr.... and very cold, but its gone now and the sun it out, just hope I dont get it like last year... 18" of the stuff... oh, and the colstest its been here is -15c, that was last winter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.