Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying Kindle in UK for use in Spain?

Buying Kindle in UK for use in Spain?

Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:15 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying Kindle in UK for use in Spain?

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
having just had 9 days without an internet connection courtesy of McAfee and not Telefonica as we originally thought, I am looking for something as a back up for our desktop. Would this do the job and be an e reader as well? If so it could be the answer to my problem and I would love to know where to get one from.
take it that is the same McAfee I had running when I picked up a bug, went to their site to get help but wouldnt let me in because I had a bug
fixed it myself in the end, with a pencil, lots of paper and fingers crossed

Have been running Norton for 4 years no problems, McAfee recently started sending me emails asking if I wanted to go back to them - reported them via Norton as spam and they shut up.,

but keep on trucking, I am learning alot from the xperiences of others in this discussion
Old Aug 30th 2012, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute

having just had 9 days without an internet connection courtesy of McAfee and not Telefonica as we originally thought, I am looking for something as a back up for our desktop. Would this do the job and be an e reader as well? If so it could be the answer to my problem and I would love to know where to get one from.
Here's a selection of faux leather cases with USB keyboards included which will make the W70 7" tablet a very useable mobile pc.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ases&x=14&y=18
Just be sure that you get the correct size case for the tablet you buy.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Loco Pedro
Here's a selection of faux leather cases with USB keyboards included which will make the W70 7" tablet a very useable mobile pc.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ases&x=14&y=18
Just be sure that you get the correct size case for the tablet you buy.
Thats lots of great help. Thanks very much.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Domino
take it that is the same McAfee I had running when I picked up a bug, went to their site to get help but wouldnt let me in because I had a bug
fixed it myself in the end, with a pencil, lots of paper and fingers crossed

Have been running Norton for 4 years no problems, McAfee recently started sending me emails asking if I wanted to go back to them - reported them via Norton as spam and they shut up.,

but keep on trucking, I am learning alot from the xperiences of others in this discussion
As we only have the one PC which McAfee blocked, we had to take it to an IT shop to get it fixed. When we got it back I accessed their site and it had a whole list of workarounds for fixing the problem including one to use if you no longer had internet access. How you were supposed to get to that without internet access who knows.
As the IT guy wiped our version and downloaded a 30 day trial, I had to wipe that and download the one on our licence to get the unexpired portion which runs out next July.
Even now its not working properly and I've had 2 sessions of internet chat with them and am now waiting for a call back from a 'senior technician' tomorrow.
So I'm certainly not recommending McAfee to anyone!
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:20 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

As we only have the one PC which McAfee blocked, we had to take it to an IT shop to get it fixed. When we got it back I accessed their site and it had a whole list of workarounds for fixing the problem including one to use if you no longer had internet access. How you were supposed to get to that without internet access who knows.
As the IT guy wiped our version and downloaded a 30 day trial, I had to wipe that and download the one on our licence to get the unexpired portion which runs out next July.
Even now its not working properly and I've had 2 sessions of internet chat with them and am now waiting for a call back from a 'senior technician' tomorrow.
how do you get to be a "senior technician" ?
live past your 21st birthday ??

IME they are usually people who only know one system, don't understand anything else, don't want to know anything else. And have a single certificate on the wall to prove it. When conversations start "Why are you still using Microsoft....." I walk out the door.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute

Its a pity you're not closer (to Denia area). I'd sort it out for you.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Loco Pedro
Its a pity you're not closer (to Denia area). I'd sort it out for you.
Well that would have been very kind of you. Sometimes I do feel a bit remote up here. One of the reasons we rely on the PC so much. However I'm looking into your other suggestion. Hubby is a bit uncertain about the idea of buying something so cheap, though. He thinks if it looks too good to be true it probably is. Got to be worth the risk for that price though.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:37 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Can we get back to the Kindle please - I don't think they need anti-virus programs!
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:45 pm

So, now it appears that buying a top of the range Kindle is a good idea, what is the best option for buying

a) buy in UK and bring back after a visit
b) buy in Spain

Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fred James
Can we get back to the Kindle please - I don't think they need anti-virus programs!
I don't know yet because it hasn't arrived but I'm not sure a tablet pc does either. Certainly, the one I bought 2 years ago running Android 2 hasn't needed it.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:01 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you mean by top of the range the 3G version, that isn't available in Spain.

The Kindle Touch and the basic Kindle are available and they are cheaper in Spain at €99 and €129 compared to £89 and £109.

Apart from the price of the 3G version which is £149 it also has a keyboard which makes it much larger but with no increase in screen size. The touch version has an on screen keyboard when required.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry Fred - didn't mean to go quite so far off on a tangent. However, one of McFee's products is advertised as being for 'all your devices' and tablets are mentioned specifically as well as phones etc etc.

Of course they are looking to expand their business. However, if a Kindle or any other device gets connected to the internet through a PC or otherwise presumably there is always some risk of a virus?
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:36 pm

if an item is used in isolation then it doesn't need anti-virus but
surely anything that connects to the internet needs anti-virus ? ?
and I would extend that to anything that connects to anything that connects to the internet
Old Aug 30th 2012, 2:22 pm

In theory you could get a virus in a Kindle but there are a few points to consider.

Firstly 99% of the time the only connection to the outside world that you have is the WiFi or 3G link to the Kindle "Whispernet" service to download books and synchronise last page read across various Kindle devices.

It is highly unlikely that anything nasty would come down this route and one hopes that there is sufficient security on the Kindle servers to prevent it anyway.

Secondly, as it is possible to connect directly to the Internet from a Kindle (the latest versions) it is possible that you could get onto a dodgy site but although the Kindle has the ability to browse the Internet I don't imagine it has the ability to download anything.

Thirdly the people that create this malware are only going to write it to target the maximum numbers of potential devices - that's why 99% of the malware is directed at Windows devices rather than Linux or Apple systems.They aren't likely to get into your personal banking on the Kindle!

That said some security companies, such as Avast, are now offering products that will run on Android phones. However I think they are offering those (paid) apps as the potential market is huge rather than in response to a sudden increase in malware on phones which I understand is not yet a problem (but it could be in the future).

Personally I think the threat from malware is exaggerated by those companies who want to sell you their product. There is a far greater risk to your personal assets and way of life from hackers that can get into your email account or from phishing attacks.

Can we keep any further discussion on this subject confined to the Kindle as general malware is a huge subject and would be better served on its own thread if anyone wishes to start one.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you mean by top of the range the 3G version, that isn't available in Spain.

The Kindle Touch and the basic Kindle are available and they are cheaper in Spain at €99 and €129 compared to £89 and £109.

Apart from the price of the 3G version which is £149 it also has a keyboard which makes it much larger but with no increase in screen size. The touch version has an on screen keyboard when required.
I recently purchased the Kindle Touch +3G.
The Kindle keyboard version doesn't have a touch screen - and I think I'm right in thinking that it has the older screen too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.