British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Buying Kindle in UK for use in Spain? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/buying-kindle-uk-use-spain-737067/)

megmet Oct 27th 2011 6:20 pm

Buying Kindle in UK for use in Spain?

I am shortly going on a visit to England and wondered if I buy a Kindle from Tesco there how do I set it up for using here in Spain, is it possible to do that?
I've tried to buy one here in Spain from Amazon UK and also Amazon.es but they both direct me to the American site which I don't want to use, so buying one in the UK would be better if it's not too difficult.

I know Kindle have been discussed here before, but I don't have the time to go through all the posts to find if there is an answer there.

Any help would be much appreciated as my husband wants one.....yesterday. :rofl:

Rosemary Oct 27th 2011 6:23 pm

Re: Buying Kindle in UK for use in Spain?

Originally Posted by megmet (Post 9699846)
I am shortly going on a visit to England and wondered if I buy a Kindle from Tesco there how do I set it up for using here in Spain, is it possible to do that?
I've tried to buy one here in Spain from Amazon UK and also Amazon.es but they both direct me to the American site which I don't want to use, so buying one in the UK would be better if it's not too difficult.

I know Kindle have been discussed here before, but I don't have the time to go through all the posts to find if there is an answer there.

Any help would be much appreciated as my husband wants one.....yesterday. :rofl:

Can you order it from Amazon.UK and have it delivered to you at the address that you are going to stay at in the UK? If you already have an Amazon UK account that is the easiest way of dealing with it.

Rosemary

xxfrecklesxx Oct 27th 2011 6:28 pm

Im sure a friend of mine who has one, said you have to order the Ebooks via the USA site if you are in Spain

Rosemary Oct 27th 2011 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by xxfrecklesxx (Post 9699864)
Im sure a friend of mine who has one, said you have to order the Ebooks via the USA site if you are in Spain

Not if your Kindle is registered with Amazon UK and you have an Amazon UK account.

Rosemary

Madridboy Oct 27th 2011 7:43 pm

Damn I'm getting old. I was about to answer the post about possible insect/pest problems from the wood. :o

pwwm Oct 27th 2011 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Madridboy (Post 9699999)
Damn I'm getting old. I was about to answer the post about possible insect/pest problems from the wood. :o

HA so was I :rofl:

megmet Oct 27th 2011 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 9699853)
Can you order it from Amazon.UK and have it delivered to you at the address that you are going to stay at in the UK? If you already have an Amazon UK account that is the easiest way of dealing with it.

Rosemary

Yes I could do that Rosmary, but the billing address for my Amazon account is here in Spain....would that make a difference?

I've also been told that if you buy from Amazon you are tied in to buying books only from them, where as if you buy from Tesco or PC world for example you can buy books from wherever you like...is that true?

Rosemary Oct 28th 2011 6:03 am

Originally Posted by megmet (Post 9700224)
Yes I could do that Rosmary, but the billing address for my Amazon account is here in Spain....would that make a difference?

I've also been told that if you buy from Amazon you are tied in to buying books only from them, where as if you buy from Tesco or PC world for example you can buy books from wherever you like...is that true?

You can have loads of different delivery addresses in different countries and just use your Spanish address for billing, no problem.

I have not bought books from Tesco or PC World so cannot answer that question, sorry. As far as I know though the important thing is that the e-books that you buy need to be in the mobi formats and that is the most important factor.

Rosemary

Mitzyboy Oct 28th 2011 6:57 am

Meg, if you have a UK amazon account then just buy it on the UK account as if you were living in the UK. Register it on there as a UK kindle. Then you can download from the UK site. If you buy it any other way you will end up initially on the .com site for downloads, and thats not the best option, believe me
I was in exactly the same situation as you, and it worked out fine

You do have the option in "my kindle" to change from .co.uk to .com iirc

Rosemary Oct 28th 2011 10:50 am

Remember also that there are many sites on the internet for free books, just type in to google free ebooks, the trouble is you can spend hours just going through them. There are I believe some 500,000 free ebooks in various formats use a program called calibre to convert to mobi and away you go. Sounds complex but do it a few times and it is easy.
There are a few kindle users on this forum any problems please just ask.
Just a thought, have you looked at the kindle forum on Amazon, many of your questions could possibly be answered there.

Graham

megmet Oct 28th 2011 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 9700936)
Remember also that there are many sites on the internet for free books, just type in to google free ebooks, the trouble is you can spend hours just going through them. There are I believe some 500,000 free ebooks in various formats use a program called calibre to convert to mobi and away you go. Sounds complex but do it a few times and it is easy.
There are a few kindle users on this forum any problems please just ask.
Just a thought, have you looked at the kindle forum on Amazon, many of your questions could possibly be answered there.

Graham

Thanks Graham, I'll take a look on the Amazon site!
It's my OH that wants the Kindle, but it's me that will have to order it and of course download books.... he doesn't even know how to boot the computer up....some lessons are in order I think! :rofl:

megmet Oct 28th 2011 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 9700670)
Meg, if you have a UK amazon account then just buy it on the UK account as if you were living in the UK. Register it on there as a UK kindle. Then you can download from the UK site. If you buy it any other way you will end up initially on the .com site for downloads, and thats not the best option, believe me
I was in exactly the same situation as you, and it worked out fine

You do have the option in "my kindle" to change from .co.uk to .com iirc

Thanks for the help Mitzy...I'll PM you later tonight when I have more time. :)

VFR Oct 28th 2011 5:46 pm

Kindle this & Kindle that :rolleyes:

Just how is the book supply supposed to be refreshed in the charity shops here in Spain ? ;)

megmet Oct 28th 2011 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by playamonte (Post 9701572)
Kindle this & Kindle that :rolleyes:

Just how is the book supply supposed to be refreshed in the charity shops here in Spain ? ;)

That's why the OH wants a Kindle.....;) :D

He's gone through all the books here and most of the Brits have gone home! :ohmy:

Mama_Carol Oct 29th 2011 8:21 am

I bought my Kindle in Tesco when I was in UK in May.

I registered it with the UK site and used my brother's UK address. He also has a Kindle and it wasn't a problem to use his address for mine also. I also set up my Spanish address as a second address.

I buy all my books from the UK website using a 1-Click account which you set up when you first register.

You can also buy direct from your Kindle wherever you are (assuming you have the 3G version).

If I lived in UK with access to a good library I would probably not bother with a Kindle but living in Spain it is wonderful. Instead of being limited to reading English books found in charity shops etc I now have access to almost anything I want to read.