British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Buying Kindle in UK for use in Spain? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/buying-kindle-uk-use-spain-737067/)

mikelincs Oct 31st 2011 5:35 pm

Re: Buying Kindle in UK for use in Spain?

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 9706045)
How can you get them for free if they are new releases that are in demand?

As soon as they come out they are available on many of the download sites..

Retired in Euskadi Nov 1st 2011 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by megmet (Post 9699846)
I am shortly going on a visit to England and wondered if I buy a Kindle from Tesco there how do I set it up for using here in Spain, is it possible to do that?
I've tried to buy one here in Spain from Amazon UK and also Amazon.es but they both direct me to the American site which I don't want to use, so buying one in the UK would be better if it's not too difficult.

I know Kindle have been discussed here before, but I don't have the time to go through all the posts to find if there is an answer there.

Any help would be much appreciated as my husband wants one.....yesterday. :rofl:

we live in Euzkadi & I bought my wife a kindle last year thro' amazon.UK. We can download books from Amazon no problem.
There is an Amazon.es now, but the range is limited & they're expensive.
So if it's only English books you want, no problem.

The charger will be a 3pin UK plug, so you'll need an adapter here.

megmet Nov 1st 2011 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi (Post 9708835)
we live in Euzkadi & I bought my wife a kindle last year thro' amazon.UK. We can download books from Amazon no problem.

That's not a problem....we have some. :D

Fred James Nov 1st 2011 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi (Post 9708835)

And the Kindle is not available through the Spanish site - it just redirects you to the US site.

megmet Nov 1st 2011 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 9709225)
And the Kindle is not available through the Spanish site - it just redirects you to the US site.

Yes that's right Fred it does!

I believe it's all to do with copyright laws, Kindle is an American product and they object to Spain not signing up to the same copyright restrictions as they and the UK do.

A bit daft really as it's as easy to get around as UK satellite TV is here. :rofl:

lilly12 Nov 3rd 2011 7:16 am

'manage my Kindle' and right at the bottom of the page will help you to switch over.

Rosemary Nov 3rd 2011 7:53 am

Originally Posted by lilly12 (Post 9711949)
'manage my Kindle' and right at the bottom of the page will help you to switch over.

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham

megmet Nov 3rd 2011 6:51 pm

The latest news for anyone else wanting to order a Kindle is that Amazon.es will start selling them at the end of the year.

Rosemary Nov 3rd 2011 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by megmet (Post 9713033)
The latest news for anyone else wanting to order a Kindle is that Amazon.es will start selling them at the end of the year.

Presumably if people buy their Kindle from Amazon.es they will have to order their books from Amazon. com and not the UK.

Rosemary

megmet Nov 4th 2011 12:47 am

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 9713302)
Presumably if people buy their Kindle from Amazon.es they will have to order their books from Amazon. com and not the UK.

Rosemary

It could always be registered with a UK address later! ;)
I suspect though that Amazon.es will be more expensive, it is on other things. :thumbdown:

Rosemary Nov 4th 2011 8:37 am

Originally Posted by megmet (Post 9713631)
I suspect though that Amazon.es will be more expensive, it is on other things. :thumbdown:

Not the tvs.

Graham

Fredbargate Nov 4th 2011 9:18 am

Originally Posted by megmet (Post 9713631)

I can't find a better price for this although it's increased by €2 recently possibly due to exchange rates.

http://www.amazon.es/MIO-685-Europe-...f=pd_rhf_p_t_2

Dick Dasterdly Dec 28th 2011 12:22 pm

Can anyone point me to or PM me a good free and easy download site for Kindle ebooks.
Thanks in advance.

pwwm Dec 28th 2011 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by xxfrecklesxx (Post 9699864)
Im sure a friend of mine who has one, said you have to order the Ebooks via the USA site if you are in Spain

I have one, live in Spain and buy from Amazon UK without problem:thumbup:

Dick Dasterdly Dec 28th 2011 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by pwwm (Post 9809149)
I have one, live in Spain and buy from Amazon UK without problem:thumbup:

Err,I did say free, :sneaky:
Yes I know some are free on Amazon kindle but they're mostly old hat or else not my cup off tea.