British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Buying Kindle in UK for use in Spain? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/buying-kindle-uk-use-spain-737067/)

Rambling Rose Oct 29th 2011 9:13 am

Re: Buying Kindle in UK for use in Spain?

Originally Posted by Mama_Carol (Post 9702471)
I bought my Kindle in Tesco when I was in UK in May.

If I lived in UK with access to a good library I would probably not bother with a Kindle but living in Spain it is wonderful. Instead of being limited to reading English books found in charity shops etc I now have access to almost anything I want to read.

I used to think that and looked at buying a kindle but have no UK address or account to use so would have to get one through the Amazon.com site. However now that Amazon deliver free to Spain on orders over £25 I have just kept on buying books from them. They are cheaper than the kindle versions, get here in about 3 days and as someone else pointed out - can always be passed on to others. (although as an aside I have never seen a charity shop here in Girona Province)

Chiclanagir Oct 29th 2011 4:37 pm

I bought mine from Amazon.co.uk used a delivery address in the UK but paid for it with my Spanish bank card. I use it all the time.

megmet Oct 29th 2011 5:03 pm

Thanks all for your helpful information, special thanks to Mitzy and Rosemary for extra info in PMs.

I'll be going to the UK shortly for a visit so I'll order a Kindle and have it delivered to our sons address.
As it's for my husbands use I'll get the 3G version, that way he can download books direct without having to ask me to do it for him on the PC....he's a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to computers! :rofl:

searcher48 Oct 29th 2011 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by megmet (Post 9703260)
Thanks all for your helpful information, special thanks to Mitzy and Rosemary for extra info in PMs.

As it's for my husbands use I'll get the 3G version, that way he can download books direct without having to ask me to do it for him on the PC....

He can download direct using wifi on the kindle, if you have a wifi router in your house, you do not need to use a computer. No need for the extra cost of 3G!

Mitzyboy Oct 29th 2011 7:50 pm

Yeah, 3G isnt really worth the extra cost unless you are travelling a lot

megmet Oct 29th 2011 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by searcher48 (Post 9703398)
He can download direct using wifi on the kindle, if you have a wifi router in your house, you do not need to use a computer. No need for the extra cost of 3G!

No I don't have a wifi router... and even our mobile phones only just work in the house and then only in certain parts of it! :ohmy:

I'd rather pay the extra and have it work, I'm not sure the less expensive one would. ???

Fredbargate Oct 30th 2011 5:02 am

If you have problems with mobile phones you have to ask would the 3G work at your house or would you then have to travel to use it ?

With the cheaper one you can download from your computer.

Mama_Carol Oct 30th 2011 6:19 am

I bought the 3G because I travel a lot and like to be able to get more books while I am away.

Not only can you download your books you can also pick up your emails. Although, I wouldn't recommend typing much of an email as the keys are very small.

I don't know how much cheaper the version without 3G is but if you can I would say get the 3G one.

Also, I would recommend getting the case with the light. You can then read without turning on the light and disturbing others.

Chiclanagir Oct 30th 2011 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Mama_Carol (Post 9704013)
I bought the 3G because I travel a lot and like to be able to get more books while I am away.

Not only can you download your books you can also pick up your emails. Although, I wouldn't recommend typing much of an email as the keys are very small.

I don't know how much cheaper the version without 3G is but if you can I would say get the 3G one.

Also, I would recommend getting the case with the light. You can then read without turning on the light and disturbing others.

You can do that with the cheaper one too if you have Wi-Fi. Re having the light I didn´t bother as I don´t tend to read late at night.

Mama_Carol Oct 30th 2011 11:24 am

It depends if you have constant (and free) access to WiFi. I am often in situations where there is no internet connection.

The point I was making is that if you are, or could be, in a similar situation it is worth spending the extra money.

Rosemary Oct 30th 2011 11:38 am

Don´t forget the other problem downloading hundreds of books, it is so easy to become carried away with free ones but it does fill up your Kindle index so it becomes easier to keep them on the computer and transfer them as and when. When it is possible to download 3000+ books in one go it becomes more manageable.

Graham

EsuriJohn Oct 30th 2011 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by megmet (Post 9703637)
No I don't have a wifi router... and even our mobile phones only just work in the house and then only in certain parts of it! :ohmy:

I'd rather pay the extra and have it work, I'm not sure the less expensive one would. ???

If you have trouble with mobiles are you sure hat you cant get 3G?

Domino Oct 30th 2011 3:45 pm

Sunday Times today had an article where they were claiming the Kindle gets heavier the more books you put on it. So the exercise of lifting weights may be an unrealised benefit.

megmet Oct 30th 2011 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 9704511)
If you have trouble with mobiles are you sure hat you cant get 3G?

It wouldn't be a problem, we could do just as we do with the mobil....we go out onto the terrace.
It's just these thick walls in our old house that seem to be the problem, outside works just fine. :)

megmet Oct 30th 2011 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Mama_Carol (Post 9704396)
It depends if you have constant (and free) access to WiFi. I am often in situations where there is no internet connection.

The point I was making is that if you are, or could be, in a similar situation it is worth spending the extra money.

I don't think there is much wifi around here, I certainly don't know anyone who has it, apart from down on the coast which is an hours drive away from us!
I'm going to order the 3G....:thumbsup: