Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying Kindle in UK for use in Spain?

Buying Kindle in UK for use in Spain?

Old Dec 29th 2011, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying Kindle in UK for use in Spain?

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Err,I did say free,
Yes I know some are free on Amazon kindle but they're mostly old hat or else not my cup off tea.
Ok I also get free ones as well, is what I did actually mean to write sorry. all from UK, free or 99p and daily deals, no problem at all. silly Dick lol, yes do agree a huge amount of the free ones are rubbish, was going to say something stronger but thought better not lol
Old Dec 29th 2011, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

I thought that the free ones were free because they are out of copyright and therefore obviously old. If you buy them in print they are usually very cheap - presumably just covering printing costs and a little profit for the seller.

What you don't like Dickens
Old Dec 30th 2011, 1:31 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
I thought that the free ones were free because they are out of copyright and therefore obviously old. If you buy them in print they are usually very cheap - presumably just covering printing costs and a little profit for the seller.

What you don't like Dickens
Nothing against Dickens, quite appreciate him in fact, but having been reading his works from an early age and having possession of ancient copies of his books handed down through generations I kind of feel about due for a change........
Old Dec 31st 2011, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Nothing against Dickens, quite appreciate him in fact, but having been reading his works from an early age and having possession of ancient copies of his books handed down through generations I kind of feel about due for a change........
Fair comment. One thing that has put me off a Kindle so far is the cost of the books compared with paper copies. However, as we are running out of room on our bookshelves I have considered sending all my old classics (mostly yellowing and falling apart) for recycling and buying a Kindle to download them all free thus making space for more new books.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 9:12 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
Fair comment. One thing that has put me off a Kindle so far is the cost of the books compared with paper copies. However, as we are running out of room on our bookshelves I have considered sending all my old classics (mostly yellowing and falling apart) for recycling and buying a Kindle to download them all free thus making space for more new books.
There are ways of getting books for less than Amazon charge, and those have been mentioned on similar "kindle" threads on here
Old Aug 25th 2012, 1:42 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to restart this thread but have a quick "kindle in spain" question

I know that if I buy a Kindle from the Amazon.com site, I can register my Amazon.co.uk account on there to download books from the Amazon UK store.

So my quickie is...

If I buy a Kindle from Amazon.es (which has recently been launched, or from a techshop in Spain, am I correct in thinking that I can register my Amazon.co.uk account on it to download books from the Amazon UK store?

TIA
Old Aug 25th 2012, 2:08 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a Kindle from Amazon Spain. I cannot access the UK Kindle books using my UK Amazon account as I get a message that they are only available to UK customers.

I can change my country settings to a UK address but of course that won't match my credit card details.

Anyway I don't see why it's a problem. There are 1.2 million English books available on the Spanish site which is only about 10% less than the number available on the UK site.

Last edited by Fred James; Aug 25th 2012 at 2:13 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 2:21 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I bought a Kindle from Amazon Spain. I cannot access the UK Kindle books using my UK Amazon account as I get a message that they are only available to UK customers.
Some people have said you get an option under "manage my kindle" to change the country or .com or .co.uk settings and that allows you to change the config so you can use your .co.uk account to download UK Amazon content? Have you tried this or does it do nothing?

Originally Posted by Fred James
I can change my country settings to a UK address but of course that won't match my credit card details.
But if you had a UK address with UK credit card at that address then would it allow you to access Amazon UK?

Again TIA, but need to get my head around what does and does not work
Old Aug 25th 2012, 2:31 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

OK I just tried going to my Spanish Kindle account and changing the country. I just used my daughter's address as it's one of my registered addresses.

I tried to order a book and it allowed it OK and debited my UK credit card which is registered at my Spanish address. I could also have used my Spanish card as it seems like you only have one Amazon account whichever site you use and both sites always show all the payment options and possible delivery addresses from the single main account.

So it seems like there is no problem if you buy the Kindle in Spain even though it will register the Kindle to your Spanish address unless you change it.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 2:56 pm

Thanks Fred,
That has cleared up my questions perfectly.
The Amazon site is very vague about what you can and cannot do, and some of the forums where peeps haves asked the same questions have not given definitive replies.
Many thanks for your help.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Just bought a octovo solis light for my kindle and got a free cover case. I have found in the evening that it gets harder to read so hopefully this will work for those Autum nights.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

italy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mama_Carol
I bought my Kindle in Tesco when I was in UK in May.

I registered it with the UK site and used my brother's UK address. He also has a Kindle and it wasn't a problem to use his address for mine also. I also set up my Spanish address as a second address.

I buy all my books from the UK website using a 1-Click account which you set up when you first register.

You can also buy direct from your Kindle wherever you are (assuming you have the 3G version).

If I lived in UK with access to a good library I would probably not bother with a Kindle but living in Spain it is wonderful. Instead of being limited to reading English books found in charity shops etc I now have access to almost anything I want to read.
This is a really good tip just done it using my sisters address and Im now on Amazon.uk
ps and I live in Italy
Old Aug 26th 2012, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
Thanks Fred,
That has cleared up my questions perfectly.
The Amazon site is very vague about what you can and cannot do, and some of the forums where peeps haves asked the same questions have not given definitive replies.
Many thanks for your help.
Just remember to have a UK address registered and to always keep it in the account settings.

You can also on Amazon download a Kindle reader to your PC so that you or others can read or order the books from there.
When you download the reader it it will say it's only available in the UK, it will ask if you have recently moved....just say yes... but always remember to keep the UK address in your settings for it to work.

Last edited by megmet; Aug 26th 2012 at 11:05 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:17 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Just remember to have a UK address registered and to always keep it in the account settings.

You can also on Amazon download a Kindle reader to your PC so that you or others can read or order the books from there.
When you download the reader it it will say it's only available in the UK, it will ask if you have recently moved....just say yes... but always remember to keep the UK address in your settings for it to work.
all good info as I have been offered a Kindle or similar for my birthday
kr
Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
all good info as I have been offered a Kindle or similar for my birthday
kr
Don´t get similar get a Kindle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.