Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Benidorm returns

Benidorm returns

Old Nov 27th 2011, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Benidorm returns

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I've just been watching a bit about the Benidorm series on Spanish TV.

The Spanish refer to the series as "Benidorm Bastards", can you believe ?
Aren't they different programmes?
http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=153201
Old Nov 27th 2011, 4:23 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been watching a bit about the Benidorm series on Spanish TV.

The Spanish refer to the series as "Benidorm Bastards", can you believe ?

It was on Sexta and they showed some clips from the series, a little bit about the filming and those involved plus a few Brit holidaymakers and Spanish hoteliers.

Not quite sure what was happening there, if they are going to film again or if the Spanish are going to do their own version, as I was in my Spanish neighbours and the sound was turned off.

I wonder if their version of the title reflects what went on in the series or simply their opinion of the Brits on holiday in general ?
As agoreira says, totally different programme.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 4:30 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Right, I've never heard of that one before.
Is it any good ?
They did seem to mix the two up in the Spanish clip I watched, hence my confusion.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 4:35 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Is it any good ?
They did seem to mix the two up in the Spanish clip I watched, hence my confusion.
seems to ba a prank programme, not a mainstream UK channel, but was originally on Kanaltwee.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Is it any good ?
No idea! I googled it! I certainly don't watch the original, I think it's dire!
Old Nov 27th 2011, 9:52 pm
Spanish, 40

evamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to behold

First time I watched it I almost cried... they are exactly the kind of people one is happy to send away from their own country and let another country suffer them.

BUT quite quickly I had to recognize that, although painful because I can see many characters in my own British neighbors, just as with Little Britain, it's generally a good laugh. I don't really follow it, but I watch it now and then and there are always some loud laughs from me.

However, I find many "low" characters too haughty in their comments against Spanish characters and Spain in general. If those comments came from the past British stereotype of educated gentlemen 60 years ago at the time when Spain was almost the third world and we started getting tourists with money, I would accept them with low eyes, but coming from the current stereotype and time...

In any case, just as the Spanish people in the tourism business say, a bad tourist is the one that doesn't come... specially in times of need, one has to take anything coming.

It's nice to see a country that can laugh at itself and at many of their current compatriots, I admire that.

A friend of mine -British- is against this kind of TV shows as she says that they make those characters normal, not people who should be an exception in any society. What do you think?
Old Nov 28th 2011, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evamar
First time I watched it I almost cried... they are exactly the kind of people one is happy to send away from their own country and let another country suffer them.

BUT quite quickly I had to recognize that, although painful because I can see many characters in my own British neighbors, just as with Little Britain, it's generally a good laugh. I don't really follow it, but I watch it now and then and there are always some loud laughs from me.

However, I find many "low" characters too haughty in their comments against Spanish characters and Spain in general. If those comments came from the past British stereotype of educated gentlemen 60 years ago at the time when Spain was almost the third world and we started getting tourists with money, I would accept them with low eyes, but coming from the current stereotype and time...

In any case, just as the Spanish people in the tourism business say, a bad tourist is the one that doesn't come... specially in times of need, one has to take anything coming.

It's nice to see a country that can laugh at itself and at many of their current compatriots, I admire that.

A friend of mine -British- is against this kind of TV shows as she says that they make those characters normal, not people who should be an exception in any society. What do you think?

As eva said, answers on a postcard!
Myself I think the question is worthy of a thread all of its own...
Old Nov 28th 2011, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
As eva said, answers on a postcard!
Myself I think the question is worthy of a thread all of its own...

Much trouble in store with a thread like that me thinks.

Eva, your British friend is wrong in IMO. There are a lot of people exactly like those portryed in 'Benidorm' anyone that's been involved in UK tourism sees plenty of those stereotypes. I remember walking along Blackpool promenade some years ago and a young girl probably about 5 ran on ahead of her mother. The mother screached "****ing hell Chantelle I've told you about..."
Such poetry
Old Nov 28th 2011, 9:27 pm
Concierge

The Benidorm series started of brilliantly, think it started to go down after Johnny Vegas left but went down even further when Madges husband died in real life and had to be written out. The last series wasn't anywhere near as good as the earlier ones.

Can't comment about the other programme, but the characters in Benidorm were to be seen in reality on the streets of both Benidorm and the rest of the tourist areas of Spain all the time.