RIP Amy Winehouse

Old Jul 24th 2011, 5:29 pm

WakeUp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: RIP Amy Winehouse

Originally Posted by Autonomy
I'm sure Spugsy can answer for himself, but I do agree with his post. Being a "fan" of an artist, you do feel "close" to them in some way. So you do feel a degree of loss, but I guess it's usually superficial in a way....

But if you have never met the person or their family then to post a whole big RIP on social networks is, I think a little odd. That said, I don't hate those people, just don't think it's going to be heard by the intended recipients...
I didn't have a problem with that, the post just seemed to be a little hypocritical to me, but I am open to being wrong, it happens often.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 6:30 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
I'm sure Spugsy can answer for himself, but I do agree with his post. Being a "fan" of an artist, you do feel "close" to them in some way. So you do feel a degree of loss, but I guess it's usually superficial in a way....

But if you have never met the person or their family then to post a whole big RIP on social networks is, I think a little odd. That said, I don't hate those people, just don't think it's going to be heard by the intended recipients...
Yup that's exactly what I mean, hate is too strong a word but I just think it's stupid.

No-one is comparing her death to the horrendous things that happened in Norway, but you always feel a bit of a loss when it's someone you like.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously what has happened in Norway is an absolute tragedy and the death of Amy Winehouse and this awful event are really incomparable.

People feel a connection to someone like Amy because her life and addiction battle has been so public and her music has been a part of their lives. Whether you like it or not she has touched peoples lives with her music( I know that sounds gay). Her music has lifted peoples spirits just by coming on the radio, so of course people feel compelled to comment. One person who you may feel is insignificant to you may not be so insignificant to a few other million people. I know there are a few Winehouse whatevers on here, but I am genuinely sad that she has lost her battle to her demons, I always enjoyed her music and I do genuinely feel its a loss to the industry and I am sorry we wont hear any more new music from her, but will continue to enjoy what she has left behind.

In regards to Norway, what do you even say? its absolutely horrific, however the people who have died have no impact on my life, as much as I sympathize with the families and am appauled at the behaviour of one man, I feel saddened by such monstrous behaviour and I have genuine sympathy for those affected by these events however I do not feel a personal sense of loss because I dont know them, which you could say the same about Winehouse, however I do know her music. Im not meaning to sound like one persons life is more important than anothers, or to belittle what has happened in Norway but as people have asked why has this post received more responces than the Norway thread this is why I believe that people feel compelled to comment on the death of Amy.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Memo to Gulf News (and other papers too, no doubt):

If you are going to write a tribute piece, at least try to make it gramatically coherent..............

But like Hendrix, Joplin, Michael Jackson, Judy Garland and other celebrities with tragic downfalls, her musical legacy — though ever so brief — will provide that comeback, for her musical legacy.

http://gulfnews.com/arts-entertainme...no-no-1.842332

Last edited by The Dean; Jul 25th 2011 at 4:46 am. Reason: .
Old Jul 25th 2011, 5:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Because for some of us we have an emotional link. I've likedher for ages, saw her play here and if you go back a bit and find the thread even though it was a waste of of money I fought her corner and said she needed help.

Now she's dead.

It's nowhere near as bad as what's happened in Norway but I mention her on Twitter and Facebook because of the link and because I'm a fan.

Surely this is obvious for anyone to see?

And can I just say I hate people who put 'RIP blah blah my thoughts are with their families and friends'. Why? You don't know them, don't be so stupid.
She needed help, no doubting that but you've got to help yourself before anyone can have an influence. If you don't value your life enough to look after yourself, help yourself or fix your issues then I don't understand why sympathy should be thrown your way when you die.

As far as her talents go, it's criminal, such a waste. Yes, she only made one amazing album but had the potential to make dozens.

It's a shame that a life is lost because it's the most precious thing, but I can't feel sorry for her or parade her as a lost hero because frankly, she killed herself.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Her death definitely saved Cameron and Co's bacon following the shite they were in last week , not a peep on that story now...

I bet you Cameron and Co have got 'Back To Black' blasting out down Downing Street
Old Jul 25th 2011, 6:21 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
She needed help, no doubting that but you've got to help yourself before anyone can have an influence. If you don't value your life enough to look after yourself, help yourself or fix your issues then I don't understand why sympathy should be thrown your way when you die.

As far as her talents go, it's criminal, such a waste. Yes, she only made one amazing album but had the potential to make dozens.

It's a shame that a life is lost because it's the most precious thing, but I can't feel sorry for her or parade her as a lost hero because frankly, she killed herself.
I don';t think anyone is parading her as a lost hero, people are just saddened by it as she was a wonderful talent, just a shame her life was a total car crash.

And let's not forget she was 27, so in her younger twenties she suddenly hit fame and got a stack of cash coming in, which I'm sure a lot of us would go off the rails if that happened to us. She seemed a fragile girl who used drink and drugs as an emotional crutch and whatever you say about her, it is sad that she's now gone.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 6:22 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by The Dean
Memo to Gulf News (and other papers too, no doubt):

If you are going to write a tribute piece, at least try to make it gramatically coherent..............

But like Hendrix, Joplin, Michael Jackson, Judy Garland and other celebrities with tragic downfalls, her musical legacy — though ever so brief — will provide that comeback, for her musical legacy.

http://gulfnews.com/arts-entertainme...no-no-1.842332
Aye, and not sure what this piece is about but I thought it was in pretty bad taste to be honest:

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...-lost-in-dubai
Old Jul 25th 2011, 6:29 am
why ayeeeee man!

Aye, and not sure what this piece is about but I thought it was in pretty bad taste to be honest:

And quite a sweet one by Russel Brand:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011...inehouse-woman
Old Jul 25th 2011, 6:37 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by saudiflares
absolutely unbelievable timing - BBC Entertainment in Middle East has a rerun of Patrick Kielty Live at the Apollo from 2007 on now and he says 'mustn't speak ill of the dead' when talking about Amy...and 'she's still alive but this show isn't going out for a few weeks'!!!!!

2 mins onwards.

on the box tonight...god's honest

Dear Barry Took...
aye I saw it, and not only that but on bbc come dine with me was on and it had the amy winehouse impersonator. Weird.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 6:39 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
...you've got to help yourself before anyone can have an influence. If you don't value your life enough to look after yourself, help yourself or fix your issues then I don't understand why sympathy should be thrown your way when you die....
If it were that easy there would be far fewer people dying from drug/alcohol addictions.
I have a friend in the UK who got into a bit of bother when he was younger, previous to that he had a bright future. He ended up drinking more and more, he is now a registered alcoholic (getting benefits to pay for the alcohol, but that is another story) and will likely not see his 40th birthday. When he was 18, he never expected his life to head in that direction, it just gradually happened after one unfortunate incident. A waste, yes. But he certainly gets my sympathy. Not everything in life is black and white.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. Not sure what kind of person writes something like that a day or so after a young person has died but I'd imagine that in a cabinet full of ****s you'd need to be straight out the top drawer....

And all of this BS I've read implying that she in some way deserved it because she couldn't help herself is just plain wrong. She was an addict with serious mental health issues, hence why she found the need to change her conciousness every day, like all addicts need to. Put the Daily Mail down....
Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:02 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Agreed. Not sure what kind of person writes something like that a day or so after a young person has died but I'd imagine that in a cabinet full of ****s you'd need to be straight out the top drawer....

And all of this BS I've read implying that she in some way deserved it because she couldn't help herself is just plain wrong. She was an addict with serious mental health issues, hence why she found the need to change her conciousness every day, like all addicts need to. Put the Daily Mail down....
Couldn't agree more Ronnie lad.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:03 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
If it were that easy there would be far fewer people dying from drug/alcohol addictions.
I have a friend in the UK who got into a bit of bother when he was younger, previous to that he had a bright future. He ended up drinking more and more, he is now a registered alcoholic (getting benefits to pay for the alcohol, but that is another story) and will likely not see his 40th birthday. When he was 18, he never expected his life to head in that direction, it just gradually happened after one unfortunate incident. A waste, yes. But he certainly gets my sympathy. Not everything in life is black and white.
Very true, the opinion with some idiots on here seems to be 'oh she had money so she took loads of drugs, bet she had a great old time, now she's dead, it's her own fault'.

It's pathetic.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting points, but don't forget her most famous quote:

"I don't need help, because if I can't help myself, I can't be helped"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.