Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Michael Moore on the latest US gun massacre

Michael Moore on the latest US gun massacre

Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Michael Moore on the latest US gun massacre

Originally Posted by Meow
You might want to read posts properly and pay attention to tenses. I said that the UK does not have the death penalty - that's current tense.

They don't do tenses! - Apparently when speaking to an American one has to write in 'SMS Speak,' and finish every sentence with 'Truly Awesome Dude!' - Oh and don't forget to use Lower Case for everything, Capital Letters confuse them! - Avoid words of more than two syllables!

Actually, I found that prat quite astonishing! - No wonder the US is the the shit that it is! - But 'Deep Doo Doo' is lurking in the UK at the moment too!

Last edited by jackthehat; Jul 26th 2012 at 10:14 am.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:11 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackthehat
They don't do tenses! - Apparently when speaking to an American you have to write in SMS Speak, and finish every sentence with 'Truly Awesome Dude!'

Actually, I found that prat astonishing! - No wonder the US is the the shit that it is!

Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

No! That was just an 'Americanism' that your reinvented! - Causation for Cause, Acclimate for Acclimatise . . .
First use 1615, and with a perfectly good Latin origin. I don't want to dishearten you but if you want to try and be a pedant by complaining about words that old you'd better start by castigating that monumental champion of new words Shakespeare for his barefaced and remorseless addiction to the assassination of the English language.

I might have let you have causation = causality.

Last edited by Cypselos; Jul 26th 2012 at 10:16 am.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cypselos
First use 1615, and with a perfectly good Latin origin. I don't want to dishearten you but if you want to try and be a pedant by complaining about words that old you'd better start by castigating that monumental champion of new words Shakespeare for his barefaced and remorseless addiction to the assassination of the English language.

I might have let you have causation = causality.
NO! 'Cause' is English! - America has decided to reinvent the word and call it 'Causation!' - End of story!

My Spell Check does not even recognise the word 'Causation!'

Please, do not let us get on to the 'Split Infinitives' such as "To Boldly Go!"
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we had the Death Penalty, and it was used until 1964! - It was done quickly and quietly! - Not boiling someone's brains for 30 Minutes, in front of a Public Audience!
The last execution was in 1964 but the dealth penalty (for all crimes) was abolished in 1998 (for murder the death penalty was abolished in 1965).
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:30 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
I'm sure someone can find a breakdown of the type of guns sold in the US and I'm sure it would show a size-able percentage of those are handguns. I defy anyone to tell me that handguns are bought for hunting and that there purpose is for anything other than 'self defense'. Anyone who has a hand gun and is willing to use it, by default in my opinion, is willing to kill.
I have a shotgun, a couple of rifles and a handgun and so far I have killed thousands of pigeons (clay) and lots of suspicious silhouetted men hiding in the distance (made of paper and wood).

Though when on a night out I like to carry a desert eagle stuffed down the back of my jeans, in case things get a bit tasty
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

NO! 'Cause' is English! - America has decided to reinvent the word and call it 'Causation!' - End of story!

My Spell Check does not even recognise the word 'Causation!'

Please, do not let us get on to the 'Split Infinitives' such as "To Boldly Go!"
Nothing wrong with a split infinitive. That's a made up rule that originated with the Victorians - oh...
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
The last execution was in 1964 but the dealth penalty (for all crimes) was abolished in 1998 (for murder the death penalty was abolished in 1965).
Peter Anthony Allen (Walton Prison) and Gwynne Owen Evans (Strangeways) were the last executions in 1964 (13 August 1964) The Execution of their sentence was carried out at the same time, in order that neither could be described as 'The Last Man to be Hanged!'

The Death Penalty was merely 'Suspended' in 1965! Myra Hyndley and Ian Brady were extremely lucky not to have been hanged! Although many offences incurring The Death Penalty were removed in 1998 , it still exists for 'Regicide' and for 'Acts of Treason in Her Majesty's Dockyards!' - It also still exists in Crown Dependancies.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Nothing wrong with a split infinitive. That's a made up rule that originated with the Victorians - oh...
Well as you would write it in American . . .

i helped my uncle jack off his horse

And in English . . .

I helped my Uncle Jack, off his horse. (Simple Punctuation and Capitalisation)

Quite easy, no drama, and you are through the Sound Barrier! - Just like Concorde! - But the US never had one of those did they?

Last edited by jackthehat; Jul 26th 2012 at 10:46 am.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

it still exists for 'Regicide' and for 'Acts of Treason in Her Majesty's Dockyards!' - It also still exists in Crown Dependancies.
Not true.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Not true.
Which part?
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I have a shotgun, a couple of rifles and a handgun and so far I have killed thousands of pigeons (clay) and lots of suspicious silhouetted men hiding in the distance (made of paper and wood).

Though when on a night out I like to carry a desert eagle stuffed down the back of my jeans, in case things get a bit tasty
And you are proud of owning a Shotgun, a Couple of Rifles, and a Handgun? - Shame on you Sir!
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Well as you would write it in American . . .

i helped my uncle jack off his horse

And in English . . .

I helped my Uncle Jack, off his horse. (Simple Punctuation and Capitalisation)

Quite easy, no drama, and you are through the Sound Barrier! - Just like Concorde! - But the US never had one of those did they?
This is awesome stuff, using American jokes to illustrate your point. But next time you use it you can leave out the comma, the capital J does the job.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

This is awesome stuff, using American jokes to illustrate your point. But next time you use it you can leave out the comma, the capital J does the job.
Be told!
End of Correspondence!
Old Jul 26th 2012, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Which part?
All of it, the dockyards thing since 1971, and everything else on the mainland after we passed the Human Rights Act and signed up to Protocol 13, and since 2002 in Overseas Territories. I'm not sure the regicide was ever officially a crime per se.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.