Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Michael Moore on the latest US gun massacre

Michael Moore on the latest US gun massacre

Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Michael Moore on the latest US gun massacre

Remind me not to visit the Uther Side of Accrington! - They can't live without guns!
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:49 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
But none of it is acceptable. Guns are designed to kill people (or animals, but that's not why most are purchased in the US) so owning one says you are willing to kill another human being.
A Puritan viewpoint. Violence not acceptable? Does that include any form. I assume you mean yes. Few advocate violence. More than 99.9% of guns purchased in the US never kill anyone. Or if you prefer less than .01% purchased do kill. I am certain that more guns are bought for hunting deer, cougar, bear, boar, duck, goose,elk, moose, wolves, coyotes, turkeys, pheasant, chukar, bobcats, rabbits, bighorn sheep,antelope, fox, squirrel, and gators etc... And I will repeat one more time... Violent crime rates (all types) have been falling for 35 years in the US. Unbelievable I Know if you only look at headlines. And yes there are more guns now than 35 years ago. If you want to limit this type of bullsh#t, have the media stop making them infamous. Which brings up the first amendment.Sigh.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
A Puritan viewpoint. Violence not acceptable? Does that include any form. I assume you mean yes. Few advocate violence. More than 99.9% of guns purchased in the US never kill anyone. Or if you prefer less than .01% purchased do kill. I am certain that more guns are bought for hunting deer, cougar, bear, boar, duck, goose,elk, moose, wolves, coyotes, turkeys, pheasant, chukar, bobcats, rabbits, bighorn sheep,antelope, fox, squirrel, and gators etc... And I will repeat one more time... Violent crime rates (all types) have been falling for 35 years in the US. Unbelievable I Know if you only look at headlines. And yes there are more guns now than 35 years ago. If you want to limit this type of bullsh#t, have the media stop making them infamous. Which brings up the first amendment.Sigh.
So, I suppose the same arguments pervade when we begin to discuss the 'Death Penalty' with Americans? - Suddenly, it all goes very quiet!
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:57 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Not often I get called a puritan...

No argument that gun crime is falling, but it is still far higher than in countries where guns are not so freely available. QED.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:58 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

But none of it is acceptable. Guns are designed to kill people (or animals, but that's not why most are purchased in the US) so owning one says you are willing to kill another human being.
Big leap of logic there, buying a gun means I am willing to kill another human being?
As a gun owner in Ireland I can assure you that's certainly not true, I am definitely not willing to kill another human being.
In the US I might accept being willing to defend yourself as a cause for gun ownership.

If I wanted to kill someone I doubt availability of guns was going to really impair me in doing so.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:06 am

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
Of course, but my point was about the principal - I have the right arm myself in the name of defense, but I'll stop others from doing so as they may threaten me, while continuing to arm myself with more advanced, deadly and costly 'deterrents'. The 2nd amendment, whilst being used by the NRA, when taken to it ultimate conclusion runs far more deeply in the American psyche.
The anti nuclear proliferation movement runs far deeper than just the US. I believe it includes most all of Europe and a good portion of the developed world.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:09 am

Of course, but my point was about the principal - I have the right arm myself in the name of defense, but I'll stop others from doing so as they may threaten me, while continuing to arm myself with more advanced, deadly and costly 'deterrents'. The 2nd amendment, whilst being used by the NRA, when taken to it ultimate conclusion runs far more deeply in the American psyche.
Part 2 of your post. Yes the right to bear arms does run much deeper in the American psyche. That will not be changed easily.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

More than 99.9% of guns purchased in the US never kill anyone. Or if you prefer less than .01% purchased do kill.
You mean legally bought guns here though I presume, and not the tens or hundreds of thousands that are bought and sold on street corners and tucked into the waist bands of 15 year olds? What good do those do? And where did they come from? If there weren't so many in circulation to begin with then fewer would be lost or stolen and end up on the streets doing damage on a daily basis.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:12 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

No argument that gun crime is falling, but it is still far higher than in countries where guns are not so freely available. QED.
If its the method or weapon of the crime that's important of course this is correct, however the next question you have to ask is if all guns were removed would murders, robberies etc drop or just be carried out with knives or other weapons?
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by jackthehat
So, I suppose the same arguments pervade when we begin to discuss the 'Death Penalty' with Americans? - Suddenly, it all goes very quiet!
The death penalty here is supported by a majority, and not a silent one. However most supporters are only for heinous crimes.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

The anti nuclear proliferation movement runs far deeper than just the US. I believe it includes most all of Europe and a good portion of the developed world.

And your last post was . . . .

You have failed to answer the question! - This is like a Paxman Interview!
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

It does indeed, but in my opinion it is much more widely supported, and indeed forced, by public opinion in Europe than it is in the US.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

The death penalty here is supported by a majority, and not a silent one. However most supporters are only for heinous crimes.
Apologies, our posts were coincidental. You argument appears perverse; can you discuss further?
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Part 2 of your post. Yes the right to bear arms does run much deeper in the American psyche. That will not be changed easily.
Again, I agree. Worryingly though there seems to be little or no acceptance that there is problem, never mind any will to change, from a frighteningly large and powerful percentage of the population.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:21 am

Again, I agree. Worryingly though there seems to be little or no acceptance that there is problem, never mind any will to change, from a frighteningly large and powerful percentage of the population.
I appreciate your concern, but why do you care so much about US law and gun ownership? Are you planning a move? I must warn you I own a pistol and a shotgun Have for 30 plus years and have NEVER pointed one at anyone. Yes I have training.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.