Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Michael Moore on the latest US gun massacre

Michael Moore on the latest US gun massacre

Old Jul 26th 2012, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Michael Moore on the latest US gun massacre

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
Polemics? The guy is getting rewards for his 'documentaries', FFS.
I was thinking of answering this but 'FFS' always seems to preclude a discussion.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 11:22 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorted out my what? Gun? I am in KSA, can't have a gun. I do miss having a gun though. Besides I am speaking on behalf of an ordinary guy. I am ex military with a bit of training, should be able to manage bare-handed versus an average scumbag in my house. Would have no solution for the cinema killing spree other than a well pointed shot at the madman in question. For that, one needs a gun. Failing that, one can only protect the loved ones like the three hero guys who jumped on their girlfriends and protected them from bullets, dying in the process.
Herein lies the problem with the discussion of whether or not to control guns and the 2nd Amendment... a lot of US citizens and commentators have a very entrenched opinion - it's very much yes / no or black / white answers.

You are clearly very pro-gun ownership and also I'm clearly not a US citizen... rather than start going on about simple yes/no or black / white absoutes - I'm curious what you think on smaller questions:

should assault rifles (with or without large ammo feeders) be available to the public?
should any weapon that is not clearly designed for either animal hunting or personal self defence be available?
does the 2nd Amendment really say guns of any nature should be available for everyone (and what does the militia reference have to do with the US society in the 21st century)
Old Jul 26th 2012, 11:31 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Autonomy
... a lot of US citizens and commentators have a very entrenched opinion - it's very much yes / no or black / white answers.
I am not a US citizen, and my opinion is not necessarily related to US alone. For example I find it ridiculous that the Irish or UK police are unarmed.

I'm curious what you think on smaller questions:

1. should assault rifles (with or without large ammo feeders) be available to the public?
2. should any weapon that is not clearly designed for either animal hunting or personal self defence be available?
3. does the 2nd Amendment really say guns of any nature should be available for everyone (and what does the militia reference have to do with the US society in the 21st century)
1. no
2. no
3. not a constitutional expert - I note automatic weapons and assault rifles were not available at the time the constitution was written.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 11:38 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a US citizen, and my opinion is not necessarily related to US alone. For example I find it ridiculous that the Irish or UK police are unarmed.

1. no
2. no
3. not a constitutional expert - I note automatic weapons and assault rifles were not available at the time the constitution was written.
Glad to see that non US citizens have shown the way... seriously - they (the US) need to break it down into smaller debates and some good might come of it....
Old Jul 26th 2012, 11:48 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Glad to see that non US citizens have shown the way... seriously - they (the US) need to break it down into smaller debates and some good might come of it....
See, I'm a moderate gun nut.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

OK - so Moore has his critics (including on this forum) but sometimes the power of his passion is hard to contradict. The final minutes of his CNN interview with Piers Morgan this week:

Old Jul 27th 2012, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Dean
OK - so Moore has his critics (including on this forum) but sometimes the power of his passion is hard to contradict. The final minutes of his CNN interview with Piers Morgan this week:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=67gN4_eE43c
CNN April 14, 1865: "But more importantly Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the play?"
Old Jul 27th 2012, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I am the owner yes. However my point being (and I apologise for being so subtle) that a gun is an inanimate object, ownership does not make me a person likely to carry out illegal acts just as conversely not owning one doesn't make you an model citizen and upholder of the law.

its a funny thing that, having a functional brain.
A gun is an 'Inanimate Object?' - Don't be absurd!
Old Jul 27th 2012, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jackthehat
A gun is an 'Inanimate Object?' - Don't be absurd!
You think guns are alive?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 2:13 pm
Banned

http://youtube.com/watch?v=67gN4_eE43c
You are correct. When someone is semi-hysterical about an issue and manipulative in delivery of arguments, this is very hard to contradict.

I stand by my assessment of M.M. He is self-serving and manipulative.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct. When someone is semi-hysterical about an issue and manipulative in delivery of arguments, this is very hard to contradict.

I stand by my assessment of M.M. He is self-serving and manipulative.
There is a book out called 'Citizen Moore'. It in no way flatters Michael Moore.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
There is a book out called 'Citizen Moore'. It in no way flatters Michael Moore.
To be fair to him, he doesn't try to conceal his place on the political spectrum. He often refers openly to neo-conservatives as 'the other side', and is all too willing to defend his corner as vigorously as he needs to when challenged by frequently inaccurate counter-arguments. Remember his attack on CNN's respected Wolf Blitzer when 'Sicko' came out, and CNN challenged his statistics?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

During the late 1980's and early 1990's, Australia had a series of mass murders using semi automatic weapons. In the mid 1990's, the PM decided semi-automatic and automatic weapons would no longer be allowed to be kept by the general population. In 1996 the government bought back all of these weapons. Licensing laws were lightened and brought into line across all states. There hasn't (touch wood) been a mass shooting since.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

To be fair to him, he doesn't try to conceal his place on the political spectrum. He often refers openly to neo-conservatives as 'the other side', and is all too willing to defend his corner as vigorously as he needs to when challenged by frequently inaccurate counter-arguments. Remember his attack on CNN's respected Wolf Blitzer when 'Sicko' came out, and CNN challenged his statistics?
'Wolf Blitzer?' Is that a real name? It must be the equivalent of 'Chuck Hoover' on BE! I am not sure whether that is a name or an instruction?

Last edited by jackthehat; Jul 30th 2012 at 11:17 am.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jackthehat
'Wolf Blitzer?' Is that a real name? It must be the equivalent of 'Chuck Hoover' on BE! I am not sure whether that is a name or an instruction?
Attached Thumbnails Michael Moore on the latest US gun massacre-wolf-blitzer.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.