Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Israeal and poor palastinains

Israeal and poor palastinains

Old Jan 4th 2009, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Israeal and poor palastinains

This issue is being debated live on BBC1 as I write..........

Esther Rantzen has just earned the biggest round of applause so far, with her comment:

"If I were God, I'd ban religion".
Old Jan 4th 2009, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Worldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Let me ask a question that might seem controversial or insensitive (although it is not my intention so please don't take it the wrong way): Why don't the many Arab countries with their vast lands and oil wealth invite the Palestinians to come and live with them and forget about the tiny bits of land next to Israel which are practically worthless?

N.
Not at all controversial or insensitive. But there several points. One, Arab governments in general probably like the Palestinians only because they hate Israel, if that makes sense, and even if they wanted Palestinians in their countries, to end the conflict like that will be like surrendering, and their pride will never allow that. 2nd, Jerusalem is also the home of Al Aqsa, and for 1200 years, with exception of crusades, has been under Muslim control, so Muslims in general will find it hard to relinquish. And the final and most important point is from the Palestinians, be they Hamas(Islamist) or Fata (nationalist), why should they give up their land? Why should they be the ones to move from where they have been for millenniums just because a state was established their 60 years ago.

Although I am a Muslim, I do have more respect for Israel as both a national and religious state then I do for most Arab and other Muslim governments. I respect them because of their intellect, success, and ability to unite Jews of different ethnic backgrounds and beliefs under one flag. When you consider what they have achieved in all fields without oil, and then compare them to, say, Saudi who have oil and a decade head-start you can't help but begrudgingly admire them.

If the Israeli writes a book the Arab will burn it, ban it, but never open it.
If the Arab writes a book the Israeli will read it, analyze it, evaluate it, get a psychologist to analyze and evaluate what it means between the lines, and then they will distribute it to let their people read and analyze it. And that is what makes them superior in all areas, despite having no resources and being outnumbered by 1-250

Last edited by Worldismine; Jan 4th 2009 at 12:38 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 12:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Worldismine
Although I am a Muslim, I do have more respect for Israel as both a national and religious state then I do for most Arab and other Muslim governments. I respect them because of their intellect, success, and ability to unite Jews of different ethnic backgrounds and beliefs under one flag. When you consider what they have achieved in all fields without oil, and then compare them to, say, Saudi who have oil and a decade head-start you can't help but begrudgingly admire them.

If the Arab writes a book the Israeli will read it, analyze it, evaluate it, get a psychologist to analyze and evaluate what it means between the lines, and then they will distribute it to let their people read and analyze it
The world needs more like you .. Im impressed
Old Jan 4th 2009, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

If the Arab writes a book the Israeli will read it, analyze it, evaluate it, get a psychologist to analyze and evaluate what it means between the lines, and then they will distribute it to let their people read and analyze it. And that is what makes them superior in all areas, despite having no resources and being outnumbered by 1-250
Thankyou for reading my mind and looking at the bigger picture. Do I have your permission to quote you? :P
Old Jan 4th 2009, 1:53 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all controversial or insensitive. But there several points. One, Arab governments in general probably like the Palestinians only because they hate Israel, if that makes sense, and even if they wanted Palestinians in their countries, to end the conflict like that will be like surrendering, and their pride will never allow that. 2nd, Jerusalem is also the home of Al Aqsa, and for 1200 years, with exception of crusades, has been under Muslim control, so Muslims in general will find it hard to relinquish. And the final and most important point is from the Palestinians, be they Hamas(Islamist) or Fata (nationalist), why should they give up their land? Why should they be the ones to move from where they have been for millenniums just because a state was established their 60 years ago.

Thanks for your eye opening answer.

From my own view I would agree with your views that that Arab governments are generally only pro-Palestinian in order to be anti-Israel...hence I always get a feeling that solidarity shown to the Palestinians is often shallow and it annoys me.

It goes beyond a piece of land (Arabs had land they conquered taken back such as during the Reconquista yet we don't hear too much about that from extremist groups do we?). I understand what they are saying about the Al Aqsa but a peace settlement could be reached that gives Muslim pilgrims access to the area while the city remains part of Israel or some UN administered area. It would probably be better off under neutral control to avoid any extremist group trying to take it over.

I think pride is indeed part of the problem. If the Jews can return and set up their own state in their historical homelands next it will be the Kurds or some other minority that has managed to survive the ages despite not having political power in their ancestral homelands.

Your comments about Israel are enlightening and reassuring that people can and do see things objectively regardless of their background (and we could all do with looking at the world a but more objectively sometimes before we let our passions get the better of us).

I would hate to think people are dying now simply because of pride and one Mosque though...my own country gave up the largest Empire in recorded history and puts up with a lot of flak from people it once ruled, often now in our own country - can you imagine how bad the world would be if we didn't swallow our pride and tried to hold on or get back lands we once ruled?

Anyway in the worlds of Dr. King: all men must learn to live together as brothers or they will die together as fools.

N.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Worldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of light

Ray, Norm, Another world, lets all have a group hug. And celebrate this breakthrough.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 2:41 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Ray, Norm, Another world, lets all have a group hug. And celebrate this breakthrough.
Now your going too far ... I tried that with MH ... it didn't work for me either
Old Jan 4th 2009, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond repute

If I were God, I'd be bloody-well ashamed of myself.

Originally Posted by The Dean
This issue is being debated live on BBC1 as I write..........

Esther Rantzen has just earned the biggest round of applause so far, with her comment:

"If I were God, I'd ban religion".
Old Jan 4th 2009, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Not being a religious person, I still found this perspective interesting
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,475226,00.html

Apologies for it being Fox but there are a few other stories of the bloke out there on the web.

Obviously he has linked islam to his being raised to bring about violence which I'm not necessarily saying is correct but its just another interesting perspective from someone intimate with the Israel/Palestine situation.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 8:19 am
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute

For all those who think that people in Gaza are weak and shouldn't fight for their own rights just because Israel has the military power i need to ask them one question

why none of you wished that the UN will take an action againest Israel?

what Israel is doing is nothing but a crime... and another crime is what the democratic world is doing.. they are not only watching wat is happening but aslo providing Israel with the needed weapons and needed polititic excuses for what they do.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 9:07 am
W10

Originally Posted by Ray
Hamas has always stated that the eradication of Israel is the reason for their being and that will never change.. they say ..
Neither side wants peace. It does not suit the leaders of either side for their to be peace.

Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:11 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to hug but we're not related and might get arrested

But seriously even though we've had a breakthrough in our forum sessions we're only a drop of water in a very very dirty ocean...people would rather revert back to the programming of the parents, peers and culture than make their own views and opinions.

It's always been and always shall be easier to believe than to think...

Peace!

N.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Beard Man
For all those who think that people in Gaza are weak and shouldn't fight for their own rights just because Israel has the military power i need to ask them one question

what Israel is doing is nothing but a crime... and another crime is what the democratic world is doing.. they are not only watching wat is happening but aslo providing Israel with the needed weapons and needed polititic excuses for what they do.
Beard Man.

I don't think anyone here supports the killing of innocent people for any reason - either Jew or Arab. It is murder and is always evil.

I honestly think the people in Gaza would achieve more by not fighting back...violence can only give birth to more violence. Perhaps my view is not going to be popular and some will even accuse me of taking sides but they have been fighting for years and it has achieved nothing but more extremism, more bloodshed, more pain and more innocents killed. Look what happened in Northern Ireland when the IRA stopped fighting...more than in 30 years of them fighting.

If people want change they will have to do something that they have not done before. It's that simple and yet so difficult. Every time an Israeli or an Arab have honesty tried to make peace with each other in the past they have been killed by their own people (like with Rabin or Sedat). That tells me none of the leaders or conservatives on either side want peace.

It seems everyone has enough religion to make them hate each other but not enough to make them love each other.

N.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond repute

... and another crime is what the democratic world is doing..
And what is the undemocratic world doing?
Old Jan 5th 2009, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Squirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond repute

So as a brother Arab, what are you doing yourself to help? Sending money, raising money, giving blood, organising collections of food, clothing - anything solid and real?

Or are you just paying lipservice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.