how old is the UK?

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 10:39 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how old is the UK?

Originally Posted by Beard Man
so if the dark ages ended 1066 where were muslims then? how big their land was? and what knowlege they brought to humanity what good things they did when Europ was in the dark ages ?? if you answer those questions and many others you will understand then that islam brought to the entire world peace and knowlege .. not what many others are trying to show.

compare the islamic world 1000 year ago with europ.
The Arabic (Islamic?) contribution to science and philosophy was great and is widely acknowledged.

The Professor of Islamic Studies at Edinburgh University, William Montgomery Watt, wrote a book about Islam (The Glory that was Islam). Christian Europe showed an interest in Arab science and philosophy around 1100 AD (around the time of the Saracens) -- the golden age of Islamic science and philosophy. Western science and philosophy developed more fully once this knowledge had been integrated and used.

Another Scot, Michael Scott, translated many Islamic science and philosophy texts (e.g., astronomical and mathematical texts) in the 13th century in Toledo, Spain (home to the Andalusian Moors), which were subsequently incorporated into Western science. He translated the works of Aristotle from Arabic to Latin based on the accounts and commentaries of two Andalusian Moors (Averroes and Avicennia). This work was sent to British universities at the time, the professors of which were very grateful to receive new information, which they thought had been lost for centuries.

Last edited by MacScot; Mar 2nd 2009 at 10:41 am. Reason: sp.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 10:41 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

do you think this is going to encourage people to move from UK if they ever wanted? don't you think you people are scaring others from this step?
don't you think that you people are moaning sometimes about silly stuff?

when you complain about something that is wroth complaining in a good manner then what is bad about it !! but when we hear words like (stuipidity, or rubbish or shit or crap) and these words are decribing decsions that are made by our rules how do you expect us to feel about you being in our contry and saying bad stuff about our learders !!!

our leaders are not perfect ... however we don't have domocratic values and even if we do we don't think it is the best way to complain.

and are you telling me that this site is only for brits and the rest are not needed in here?

are you going to say later on that this site is only for pure brits and that brits of a difference race are not welcome just because they are muslims/hindos or what ever and have different values because of their religions.
who has complained about the Rulers of this Country on here? I can't see any posts reflecting that at all. Just today a local guy who murdered a British woman has had his sentence REDUCED. How do you think her family feel? her children who are now without a Mother? the grandchildren she will never see? Yes people get a tad annoyed at the way this Country is run.

This site is for British Expats regardless of the race or religion.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 10:41 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

and are you telling me that this site is only for brits and the rest are not needed in here?
are you going to say later on that this site is only for pure brits and that brits of a difference race are not welcome just because they are muslims/hindos or what ever and have different values because of their religions.
I dont think any of that has been suggested, lets not turn this into a race issue All are welcome here
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 11:44 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

No, that is not what anyone has said and you know it. This site was started by British expats for British expats, but we welcome all. We have people from many, many different nations posting here and we are happy to have them as members. However the majority of people who use this site are British and you need to be mindful of that when you are posting. I have told you this before, and I do not want to go down this road with you again.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

B Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of light

there is a life cycle for anything even for governments or nations do you think at the moment UK is leading the world? or just one player with many others?

you can be proude of being british .. i know for sure if i ever was a brit i will feel proude for all the success that my nation achived ... but on the other hand .... i would stop and talk to my self and say .. for what all this ? for a short live that i will live for 70 or 80 ? and then what about death? am i gona disappear ?? is there a life after this one?.... at the moment some people think there isn't ... what if there is? ..... think about it for a moment ... what if there is?? .. repeat the same question later on... what if there is a life after death.... and this life depends on how you live your current life .. isn't it worth to think about ... spare some time that you normaly waste in watching a football game ... to see the beauty of the univers ... is it a self creation?

are things being unorganized??? the universe is so wonderfull in a very orginized manner .. and only God did that !
People in the UK die every day having had very fufilling lives, developing medicines to prevent death in childbirth, designing cheap universal telephones so that a Palestinian refugee can talk to his family or allowing satellite technology to help forecast weather patterns that affect crop growth in the third world. In the UK god effectively 'died' in the mid 19th century. The beauty of the world has been captured in picture, song, film and poetry and many mediums. It does not for the majority involve 7th century or earlier books that have held poulations locked in poverty and superstition since that time. Ask yourself why Islam went from taking the original Greek ideas and science forward and instead became a footnote in history for so long.

The popularity of the UK with Muslim people ought to suggest that there is something special there. Of course it is where there is religious freedom, where you can have Jewish friends, write critically of the UK and your home country without fear. I watched with amusement this week as a Guantanamo prisoner chose UK as home to return to rather than go back to Eritrea or wherever he came from. We're not perfect by a long shot, but he certainly knew where he would rather be to practice his faith and live his life.

Lenin told us that communism would 'bury us'. They didn't. We have absorbed many cultures in our history, with openess and equality. We have Muslim politicians and state officials, there by their own hard work. We've been knocking around our island just as long as you have, we just got our act together a bit quicker, and we had a lot less oil too!
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:20 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

not only iraq but also in palastine... they provided isarel with the platform to do what they did in the past and present ..and their support as well as their double standers in dealing with Arabs and Israel is a shame on any UK government who participated in this or will in the future.
Actually the UN caused Israel...the UK gave up trying to please the Jews and Arabs and handed the problem to the UN who voted in favour of the state of Israel...

N.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:20 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
Being British is completely independant of religion.
So is being an Arab...but in many parts of the Arab world they don't like you to think like that it would seem.

And they tend to treat non-Muslim Arabs rather poorly...especially if they are Atheists or Jews.

N.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:35 pm

only days will prove how far this can continue.

many people are becoming muslims in UK more than any other europian country who knows what will happen when they realise that muslims will incrase so much.
France has more Muslims than the UK according to most official statistics...

...and if Muslims tried to take over and make a non-secular country they would be kicked out of the country because that is called an act of war is it not? If Muslims cannot respect their hosts they should leave.

Same applies here does it not? If we expats cannot tolerate and respect the rules and traditions of the UAE we should go? I am the first to agree with this rule. We can talk and moan all we like but if we don't obey the rules we should leave.

As for people converting to Islam in the UK...doesn't matter unless they want to make the UK an Islamic state - in which case they have their citizenship stripped from them...I believe you would do the same here if someone become a Christian and then tried to make the UAE Christian right?

N.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:36 pm

so if the dark ages ended 1066 where were muslims then? how big their land was? and what knowlege they brought to humanity what good things they did when Europ was in the dark ages ?? if you answer those questions and many others you will understand then that islam brought to the entire world peace and knowlege .. not what many others are trying to show.

compare the islamic world 1000 year ago with europ.
Europe's Dark Ages were directly a result of the rise of religion into government and external invasions breaking up the Roman Empire - it stopped all learning and science in most places. The early Muslims generally tried to learn from the people they conquered and so preserved much knowledge of the pagan Eygptians, Greeks, Romans and Persians...building on what they knew until Europe started to separate it's religion from it's government and it re-discovered the ancient learning and leaped ahead again to become world leaders in art and learning.

Meanwhile the Muslims had begun to descend into civil wars and conflict - they tried repeatedly to invade Europe and failed, making Europe stronger with each attempt. Then Europe began branching out and conquering and colonising the world.

Today it seems Muslims want to blame the West for all their problems but forget they created these problems. Who closed the silk road into Europe and inspired Europeans to look for new trade routes by sea?
Who invaded their lands first?

1000 years ago the Islamic world was more advanced in many areas than many European countries....500 years later that had changed though and today nearly every modern invention is Western so I wonder what your point is exactly sir?

I know my history and I know all about the place of Islamic history...perhaps instead of looking at the past we should look at the present and the hope for the future?

N.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Worldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I agree with you, the West has made alot of mistakes. But basically the West is streets ahead of here when it comes to peoples rights, employee rights, humanity etc.
Have you heard of a place called Guantanamo Baie?

Operation shock and awe?

But yeah, Britain, would not generalise west in general as America France ect are different, is way ahead of not only Muslim but also other western countries with regards to people's rights and treatment etc. France is crap if your of Moroccan, Algerian or sub saharan origin. America, if your insurance only covers 1 finger and you lose two you'll have a decision to make, and best make it quickly. Belgium is just crap for everyone, Switzerland, especially Geneva, is amazing, but does its own thing and would definitely not generalise it under the banner of the west, and it aint that accessible to those without skill or a spouse.

Scandanavian countries are racist as hell, even when you say your Sicilian.

I think, in the Gulf and Muslim countries in general, it depends a great deal on who you know, and how much they like you. It's not right, but people that get screwed over by employees and get no justice probably didn't get to know anyone local. They don't have to be big time people, just someone local that is kind hearted, knows the language, is willing to speak up for you, and knows who to go to. Then when you get helped out in that way, its much more rewarding and you appreciate it more.

Last edited by Worldismine; Mar 3rd 2009 at 1:30 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

B Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Worldismine
Have you heard of a place called Guantanamo Baie?

Operation shock and awe?

But yeah, Britain, would not generalise west in general as America France ect are different, is way ahead of not only Muslim but also other western countries with regards to people's rights and treatment etc. France is crap if your of Moroccan, Algerian or sub saharan origin. America, if your insurance only covers 1 finger and you lose two you'll have a decision to make, and best make it quickly. Belgium is just crap for everyone, Switzerland, especially Geneva, is amazing, but does its own thing and would definitely not generalise it under the banner of the west, and it aint that accessible to those without skill or a spouse.

Scandanavian countries are racist as hell, even when you say your Sicilian.

I think, in the Gulf and Muslim countries in general, it depends a great deal on who you know, and how much they like you. It's not right, but people that get screwed over by employees and get no justice probably didn't get to know anyone local. They don't have to be big time people, just someone local that is kind hearted, knows the language, is willing to speak up for you, and knows who to go to. Then when you get helped out in that way, its much more rewarding and you appreciate it more.
....so why then do people put themselves in danger, pay thousands of dollars and risk all to get to these countries. I appreciate what you are saying, but I'm afraid that until I see Afghans, Somalis, Eritreans, Iraqis tring to sneak their families into Saudi, Qatar etc for a better life rather than go all the way to the US, Australia, UK, France etc where there is no language, culture, weather(!) of any familiarity then I will buy it.

Take time to ask the guy cleaning your office this morning how well he feels cared for on 350 AED a month......
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:28 am
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I'm not saying nor am I going to say any of the things that you mentioned as I am now finding this thread tiresome and I never once mentioned religion of any sort.

On the other hand I do think that your question has been answered and the only person seemingly intent on bringing up religion often is yourself.

So you ignore everythying in my post and just coment on one thing religion?

don't you feel like saying anything as an answer/coments on the other issues/ideas??

it is like someone have reported me to you or to other moderators and asked you to keep an eye on me !!! if this is the case may i know who they are lol

people talk about sex here and talk about religion and i can give you exampls and i have seen you or any other moderator asking them not to do it !!!

or is it a first step in a process that will end up by banning me again !!!!

bottom line ! .. what you just did and said is not fair cause i have not seen you doing the same to people who have been breaking the rules of this site

just because i post things that some don't like (and maybe you are one of them) i get to find moderators againest me.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:30 am
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
The different proportions of British people having one faith or another has absolutely no consequence on our government - unless they plan to overthrow it and replace it with a non-secular system, in which case, good luck to them.

"only days"...

so the chance of it happening in the future is not imposible !! right?
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
I'd love to hear a saudi-wahhabi and a non-wahhabi-saudi's point of view on what is progression though.

I bet we would all think the same thing though... "as long as your religion/rules from your country dont rule in my country".

that's a good idea for another thread .. i seriously mean it ... we can have a talk about what progression is .. feel free to start one
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by benzonar
There is no life after death, so not worth worrying about. Far better to concentrate on enjoying the short time we have without having to worry about fairy stories.

The universe is not organized, it is extremely chaotic and complex and violent. The only reason why people think it is organized is because we are predisposed to seeing patterns and systems where none exist.The scientific laws can look simple, but it is from these that the complexity comes from. Complexity comes from simplicity, god had nothing to do with it.

Think of a flock of starlings as it moves through the air. It looks highly complex and beautiful as it dances through the air creating patterns. It is easy to think that there is some collective intelligence controlling it, producing the patterns as it wheels through the air. But there is not. The flock simply follows three basic rules.

1. Follow the bird in front
2. Keep a wingspan away from the birds either side
3. Don't fly into anyone else

They've used computer simulations to emulate this and it has produced highly complex patterns of flight based on these three simple rules. No grand masterplan needed, the Universe is just like that.

A set of simple rules from which emerges great complexity and diversity - and a lot of empty space (and I mean a lot). No god required.

if there is no life after death is there a scientific profe for that ?? have it been examind ?? what is the different between life and death? what is soul? how can some with no health problems die just like that !! what was taken from his body when he has nothing wrong at all that made him die?

and who said by having a faith in the creator of this univers you can not enjoy life?

the univers is beautifully organized weather you like it or not ... have a look at stars and planets how they orbit around each other... and go to smallest part of your body to see how cells are organized with each other forming a creature like you who thinks that God is not responsible of his creation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.