British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   65 dead in Mecca crane collapse. Death toll may rise. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/65-dead-mecca-crane-collapse-death-toll-may-rise-865048/)

Boomhauer Sep 11th 2015 6:03 pm

65 dead in Mecca crane collapse. Death toll may rise.

I can't recall another crane accident with a higher death toll.

Crane Collapse in Mecca Leaves More Than 60 Dead - ABC News

Bahtatboy Sep 12th 2015 7:55 am

Re: 65 dead in Mecca crane collapse. Death toll may rise.

Nearly double that, apparently. Crane was Bin Laden's, not been a good few weeks for them. Staggering lack of sympathy being displayed in certain quarters in the UK.

As an aside, the Grand Mosque is being enlarged so that it can accommodate 2.2 million people at once. 2.2 million? Words fail me.

redShark Sep 12th 2015 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11746423)
Nearly double that, apparently. Crane was Bin Laden's, not been a good few weeks for them. Staggering lack of sympathy being displayed in certain quarters in the UK.

As an aside, the Grand Mosque is being enlarged so that it can accommodate 2.2 million people at once. 2.2 million? Words fail me.

I just don’t know why when I first heard this news, among the first things that came to mind was this forum!!

For you information, there are far more people who want to go to Hajj every year than the 2.2 millions, but they had to be turned down because the place is just not enough. As for the lack of sympathy in certain corners of the UK, well that is quite normal as there exist similar kinds of people in some corners of the Muslim world who harbor similar satisfaction when they see natural disasters hitting the west, particularly the US. Bottom line is, sick people exist in every society,

DXBtoDOH Sep 12th 2015 9:17 am

If there ever was evidence that there ain't no big man sitting on a pink cloud in the sky, this is it.

Bahtatboy Sep 12th 2015 9:22 am

Originally Posted by redShark (Post 11746462)
I just don’t know why when I first heard this news, among the first things that came to mind was this forum!!

For you information, there are far more people who want to go to Hajj every year than the 2.2 millions, but they had to be turned down because the place is just not enough. As for the lack of sympathy in certain corners of the UK, well that is quite normal as there exist similar kinds of people in some corners of the Muslim world who harbor similar satisfaction when they see natural disasters hitting the west, particularly the US. Bottom line is, sick people exist in every society,

Bloody hell, a balanced and cogent reply. :thumbup:

You feeling ok?

scot47 Sep 12th 2015 9:52 am

As a non-Muslim I have never been at the Grand Mosque but have seen film of Friday Prayers. An amazing site. Numbers going on pilgrimage have been increasing since the very low figures of the 1940s.

Surely the Islamic Revival has been one of the most noticeable features of World History in the last 100 years.

Millhouse Sep 12th 2015 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11746423)

its an annual capacity BB.

scot47 Sep 12th 2015 11:13 am

Hajj 2014 in Numbers: Over 2 million Muslims Expected for Holy Pilgrimage to Mecca

Boomhauer Sep 12th 2015 1:06 pm

I was listening to the radio here in the US ; a Muslim chap was saying how the authorities should bring down the cranes till the masses of pilgrims have left. He also mentioned the lack of safety and treatment of labourers possibly being a factor in the disaster.

I know the Saudi authorites have been bulldozing and destroying sites inhabited by the family/companions of Muhammed (as per Wahabhi belief on shirk) to make room for the expansion / hotels etc..The authorities don't seem to give a fig about safety or preserving ancient sites, it's all about development and 'progress'.

Tockalosh Sep 12th 2015 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 11746465)
If there ever was evidence that there ain't no big man sitting on a pink cloud in the sky, this is it.

I think a challenge to that statement could be made after watching the videos. The boom came back between the luffers. That must have been godly intervention to miss them.

Never seen a crawler fall over like that

Johnnyboy11 Sep 12th 2015 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 11746465)

I'm not so sure, strange that this 'accident' happened on 9-11...

redShark Sep 12th 2015 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11746588)
I was listening to the radio here in the US ; a Muslim chap was saying how the authorities should bring down the cranes till the masses of pilgrims have left. He also mentioned the lack of safety and treatment of labourers possibly being a factor in the disaster.

I know the Saudi authorites have been bulldozing and destroying sites inhabited by the family/companions of Muhammed (as per Wahabhi belief on shirk) to make room for the expansion / hotels etc..The authorities don't seem to give a fig about safety or preserving ancient sites, it's all about development and 'progress'.

The most basic principle in the Islamic creed is the principle of the ones of the creator. that is to say in the faith of Islam, your worship, your prayers, your source of help is only and soley to this entity. This may sound like a simple rule to follow but unfortunately humans have an incredible tendency to slowly drift away from this rule due mainly to the strong call from that tangible part of their existence. There is a strong urge within the human beings to adhere to anything tangible in nature and in the absence of the mind a person can easily end up worshiping stones, graves, and even other fellow humans, an act called Shirik in Islam.
Though I do differ quite considerably with my brothers the Saudis on quit a number of issues, I, however, strongly support them on their firm stand on this issue of Shitk, but still, they actually have gone a bit far in implementing those rules

redShark Sep 12th 2015 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11 (Post 11746624)
I'm not so sure, strange that this 'accident' happened on 9-11...

I am actually not that surprised. For quite some time, there has been a talk about some kind of mind energy that can direct the wish of a person into changing the cause of events. The same kind of energy that link the minds of the twins, for example. I remember reading about an American professor who did a study about this subject in the context of sport matches. He was trying to find out if the results of a football match, for example, can indeed be affected if lots of supporters were cheering a particular team from the comfort of their own homes. The study was still not conclusive.
If such energy does exist then yesterday’s event can be easily explained

scot47 Sep 12th 2015 4:41 pm

Shit-K ?

I think you mean SHIRK - associating others with the One Who Knows All..

Millhouse Sep 12th 2015 4:43 pm

Didn't take too long before the nuttiness resumed.

Pakistani labourers dying in the holy land. For many of them this would have been the highest accolade. Death is only sad if you want it to be.

As my PRO always reminds me. This life doesn't matter. For the good Muslim it is the next one that is important.

This is sadly why the labourers are treated like shit. No value of life by their Arab masters.