British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   65 dead in Mecca crane collapse. Death toll may rise. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/65-dead-mecca-crane-collapse-death-toll-may-rise-865048/)

Bahtatboy Sep 14th 2015 5:10 pm

Re: 65 dead in Mecca crane collapse. Death toll may rise.

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11748270)
How is that cognitive dissonance working out for you? By your very words it is worshipping an idol "first temple built".

I think he's bloviating :sneaky:

mikewot Sep 14th 2015 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11748273)
I think he's bloviating :sneaky:

That's his usual MO with only a single exception which was his first post in this thread. Sadly it went downhill rapidly after that, same same like always.

scot47 Sep 15th 2015 12:49 pm

Death on pilgrimage guarantees a ticket to Paradise.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...o-Britons-dead

Boomhauer Sep 15th 2015 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by redShark (Post 11748254)
I think you are mixing up things. Idolatry act happens when you erect a statue in a shape of some figure believing that this is how God actually looks like and you start offering your worship to IT.

Kaaba to the Muslims is simply a geographical focal centre where they face to in their prayers, much like the north pole to a campus needle. It also is a place where Muslim gather for the Haj ritual and the reason it is considered holy is because it was a first temple built by Abraham. Muslims also are taught that they are closest to the creator when they are in this area (is it to do with the golden ratio location, I wonder!!). There is nothing more to Kaaba than those symbolic meanings. Now if you ask what is the need for all this symbolism, the answer would be, it has to do with the construction of the human phycology. It appears that symbols and icons are vital tools for disciplining human concentrations and nations, otherwise, have you ever wondered why do every single nation in the world has a piece of a colourful rag which they refer to as a flag, and to which they sing anthems and take salutes and get angry if it is burned or physically abused? Is the piece of rag itself that is important or is it the meaning that it represents?

Mikewot summed it up.
You say it isn't idolatry then in the same breath you say it is holy and they are closes to the creator in that specific area.

I am not arguing on whether symbolism is right or wrong, I am just saying that more than any other religion Islam denigrates those religions/cultures that practice idolatry and yet Islam does the very same thing on a grand scale.

It's a case of do-as-i-say-and-not-as-I-do . Devout Muslims are well known for smashing aspects of other cultures for perceived (real or imagined) idolatry.

If a culture/religion preaches to everyone quite forcefully against a practice/belief (idolatry in this case) then be prepared to face incoming stones in your glass house.

On a related note: The Saudis and their ancient ancestors were quite shrewd to co-opt the Pagan Black stone into their Muhammadenism ; quite a lucrative money making scheme , not to mention Muslims all over the world are brainwashed to defend the Kaaba , which automatically means defending the Saudi Arabs and their territory.

Boomhauer Sep 15th 2015 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 11749091)

Religious people (genuinely devout) and the fake religious leaders will spin a negative story to be a positive to defend their belief system / political system.

Millhouse Sep 16th 2015 7:04 am

So... two things:

1) My post about dying in Mecca being no greater honour (and death not being sad) was correct even if I was delusional.
2) SBG are now banned from all projects in the country.

Inselaffen Sep 16th 2015 9:14 am

Apparently the jib on that type of crane should be lowered when not in use, especially if high winds are expected.

So SBG are definitely in the firing line on this one.

redShark Sep 16th 2015 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11749404)
Mikewot summed it up.
You say it isn't idolatry then in the same breath you say it is holy and they are closes to the creator in that specific area.

I am not arguing on whether symbolism is right or wrong, I am just saying that more than any other religion Islam denigrates those religions/cultures that practice idolatry and yet Islam does the very same thing on a grand scale.

It's a case of do-as-i-say-and-not-as-I-do . Devout Muslims are well known for smashing aspects of other cultures for perceived (real or imagined) idolatry.

If a culture/religion preaches to everyone quite forcefully against a practice/belief (idolatry in this case) then be prepared to face incoming stones in your glass house.

On a related note: The Saudis and their ancient ancestors were quite shrewd to co-opt the Pagan Black stone into their Muhammadenism ; quite a lucrative money making scheme , not to mention Muslims all over the world are brainwashed to defend the Kaaba , which automatically means defending the Saudi Arabs and their territory.

You don’t seem to understand what idolatry means in the first place to argue with me, otherwise you wouldn’t have confused the meaning of idolatory with the idea that someone can be spiritually closer to the creator if he is in a particular place on earth.
You deliberately cherry pick from my post to make your point. I’ve already in the first paragraph of my post explained to you what is the Islamic definition of idolatry. It is the act of representing God in a physical shape or object and fearing that object and directing the worship to it, believing that it is God or incarnation of God.

Your other problem with me is your Christian background ( however hypocritically you are trying to conceal; By the way, it is the evangelists who use the word Muhammadenism) because your understanding of what is Holy is not necessarily my understanding. In Islam a holy place is a blessed place, in the sense that the rewards for the act of worships in that spot are multiplied.

For your information, your state of confusion is well identified in Quran, it is called “the blinder of the hearts, not the eyes”

mikewot Sep 16th 2015 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by redShark (Post 11750339)
You don’t seem to understand what idolatry means in the first place to argue with me, otherwise you wouldn’t have confused the meaning of idolatory <snip> what is the Islamic definition of idolatry. It is the act of representing God in a physical shape or object and fearing that object and directing the worship to it, believing that it is God or incarnation of God.

Your problem is that you are writing in English without understanding the words (a rarity for you). We are an English speaking site using English language and meanings, not some made up old bollocks.
Definition of idol:
Oxford Dictionary: A person or thing that is greatly admired, loved, or revered
Cambridge Dictionary: a ​picture or ​object that ​people ​pray to as ​part of ​their ​religion

And on and on.

mikewot Sep 16th 2015 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11749404)
Muslims all over the world are brainwashed to defend the Kaaba.

I suspect that the daesh might have other ideas about what to do with this idol and they would mainly involve hammers and TNT.

redShark Sep 16th 2015 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11750346)
Your problem is that you are writing in English without understanding the words (a rarity for you). We are an English speaking site using English language and meanings, not some made up old bollocks.
Definition of idol:
Oxford Dictionary: A person or thing that is greatly admired, loved, or revered
Cambridge Dictionary: a ​picture or ​object that ​people ​pray to as ​part of ​their ​religion

And on and on.

you maybe an English speaker but i doubt you understand the full meaning of the English words. this should put you to shame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idolatry

Boomhauer Sep 16th 2015 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11749763)
2) SBG are now banned from all projects in the country.

You are joking right?

mikewot Sep 16th 2015 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by redShark (Post 11750369)
this should put you to shame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idolatry

Au contraire mon brave, you should be shamed that you resort to wikipedia, a site which anyone can write any old bollocks to and skew results. In the case of the 'article' you link to there is a rider at the very top "This article needs additional citations for verification. " Whereas I gave links to two top dictionaries.

Boomhauer Sep 16th 2015 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11750347)
I suspect that the daesh might have other ideas about what to do with this idol and they would mainly involve hammers and TNT.

Yeah ISIS is the exception, but who knows wha tthey will actually do if they ever (not likely considering Uncle Sam protects the Al Sauds) take over the Kaaba. There was that 1 time in the 70s when Juhayman Al Otabi did takeover the Grand Mosque but that was over quickly.

On a related I recal reading somewhere that French Special Forces helped in ending the seige but they had to convert before they could enter the Mosque ; is that true?

Irishbeekeeper Sep 16th 2015 6:19 pm

No it was the SSG (pak) who were involved in literally flushing them out I think