You know your in the UK when .....

Old Oct 14th 2012, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know your in the UK when .....

You know you're back in the UK when.......... you stay at a B&B and have to share the bathroom and toilet with 16 other guests.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
You know you're back in the UK when.......... you stay at a B&B and have to share the bathroom and toilet with 16 other guests.
Thank god for Premier Inn and Travelodge (except Travelodge food )! B&B prices are these days often taking the p_ _ s but there are some really exceptional B&Bs out there that offer a really good all-round package, incl en-suites, and genuine hospitality, without breaking the bank, if we can only find them.

Stayed in a B&B in Folkestone last year where you could sit on the loo and shave in the wash-basin mirror at the same time in an en-suite smaller than the bathroom on most cruise-ships IYKWIM.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Oct 14th 2012 at 2:09 pm. Reason: but...........
Old Oct 14th 2012, 2:40 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes thank goodness for Travelodge, perfect if all you want is too go to sleep and sooo cheap. B&Bs arent supposed to be hotels of course, most we have stayed in have been quaint little cottages or centuries old pubs but I must say we have never needed to share the bathroom with 16 others though
Old Oct 14th 2012, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

You know you're back in the UK when........ you stay in a remodelled B&B/Hotel and you have to lather yourself with soap BEFORE you have a shower in order that you can squeeze yourself into the shower cubicle that is now where the airing cupboard used to be.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

You know you're back in the UK when........ you stay in a remodelled B&B/Hotel and you have to lather yourself with soap BEFORE you have a shower in order that you can squeeze yourself into the shower cubicle that is now where the airing cupboard used to be.
Not just Folkestone then?

It's funny that you raised B&Bs and small hotels because that is an area where the Uk seems to really let the side down There are players in the market who are only there for a buck and provide the absolute bare minimum - in fact sleeping in itself is a major issue when it's at the height of summer and all you have are half-broken venetian blinds to keep early arriving daylight out.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Oct 14th 2012 at 2:52 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chris955
Yes thank goodness for Travelodge, perfect if all you want is too go to sleep and sooo cheap. B&Bs arent supposed to be hotels of course, most we have stayed in have been quaint little cottages or centuries old pubs but I must say we have never needed to share the bathroom with 16 others though
A Travelodge can be right where you need to be (in London, at the airport or wherever) and at 25 quid (IF you can plan ahead) for up to three/four with clean and comfortable sheets, a/c in July/August and usually a quiet room and fairly regular refurbs. I would rather spend the 50 odd quid (100 in London) I'm saving by taking that route on another part of the vacation or simply save it but then that's me because I have to live on a budget.

Travelodge have built-in bars and offer basic food service while Premier Inn always have either a bar and restaurant or an adjacent pub/food outlet such as Beefeater or Brewers Fayre but neither in general* profess to being anything other than a basic hostelry providing breakfast so not that different from a B&B in concept, incl in check-in and check-out.

Been there and already done the cottages and centuries old pubs with or without my kids so I'm just comparing value and convenience these days. Because of the way that typical pubs are laid out, any upstairs bedrooms can be a real nightmare for noise and attempted sleeping so I've tended to shy away from them in particular.

At Premier Inn and Travelodge you almost always know what you are getting because it is a brand.

In the average B&B, the hosts never intended that you would be in their face and you only encounter them (or the hired help) at breakfast time and when you pay, if you are lucky, so once again it is just a bed (and breakfast).

Gold and Silver award and **** are of course very very different but then so usually is the price.

*Airport locations are often more extensive

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Oct 14th 2012 at 3:44 pm. Reason: a/c in July/August pub sleeping nightmare It's a brand
Old Oct 14th 2012, 3:40 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I just installed a full sized shower cubicle where the airing cupboard was, we did away with the old tank and emersion heater and have a lovely big mains pressure shower...lovely
Old Oct 14th 2012, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

You know you're back in the UK when......... you hear familiar words and sayings. Once heard "Oooops-a-daisy" and "Bollocks" within a few minutes of arriving at Gatwick. Strange how comforting that was....., " I'm home!!! "
Old Oct 14th 2012, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

You know you're back in the UK when......... you hear familiar words and sayings. Once heard "Oooops-a-daisy" and "Bollocks" within a few minutes of arriving at Gatwick. Strange how comforting that was....., " I'm home!!! "
From the Captain, or flight attendants?
Old Oct 14th 2012, 3:50 pm
Banned

I think that is your first positive one, I like it
Old Oct 14th 2012, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
From the Captain, or flight attendants?
LOl, very good.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 8:51 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
You can go and watch the best football team in the world at the Theatre of Dreams.
Where is that ground then? There isn't a ground of that name listed for any of the teams playing in either England, Wales or Scotland.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

You know you're in the UK when.............. you do eventually find a parking spot you have to do a vertical limbo dance to get out of the car without the car door touching the car parked next to you.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

You know your in the UK when you can get a great room for a miniscule of the price we use to pay in W.A minus the spiders, cockroaches etc etc lol
Old Oct 15th 2012, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
I just thought I would do a UK version of the thread ..... You know your in Australia when ........

You know your in the UK when, you see the breath taking views around the Lake District there's no better place on earth for such beauty.
When..... you can strike up a conversation with a complete stranger and they dont look at you like your mad.

When.....I take my dog for a walk in the lovely countryside on our doorstep and not have to worry about snakes etc

When.....Someone lets you out/in traffic AND when drivers thank you for doing the same.....

When.....I watch excellent t.v

When.....I can hop on a plane to Europe in Under 2 hours and very cheaply

When.....My neighbours bring in our Refuge bins etc when we are away

When....I can just drop in and have a cup of tea with family and friends and have a real good laugh at the same time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.