You know your in the UK when .....

Old Oct 17th 2012, 5:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know your in the UK when .....

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
It is my understanding that pubs are closing because of:

1. The smoking ban

2. The pressure put on pub tenants in terms of rent and beer price by the Pubcos

3. The availability of cheap beer through supermarkets.
It might be cheaper and less bothersome to nonsmokers if a smoking room were provided for smokers to get their fix (with an extractor fan, of course!). That also would be a warmer and drier spot for the smokers than in a typical British evening outdoors.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
It might be cheaper and less bothersome to nonsmokers if a smoking room were provided for smokers to get their fix (with an extractor fan, of course!). That also would be a warmer and drier spot for the smokers than in a typical British evening outdoors.
Spot on!

Further to my comments (and ref cause #2) I believe that part of the pubco problem relates to the fact that many "improvements" which would need to be made, such as yours, seem to inure to the cost of the tenant who is already at financial breaking point, and not the pubco landlord.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Oct 17th 2012 at 5:17 pm. Reason: pubco enhancements
Old Oct 17th 2012, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

1. The smoking ban

Indeed, and the remainder are going to slowly loose more custom as they find ways to attract smokers that circumnavigates the ban were possible that the non smoker objects to.
Whilst I support someone's right to smoke, the world won't stop turning because the can;r smoke in or around the public entrances to drinking establishments.

Your understanding would be best tested if the law was changed to allow for smoking and non smoking establishments. Then everyone could vote with their feet for their preference.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 5:45 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving

It's against the law and rightly so, you see most smokers are low life, most don't care about others inhaling their cancerous fumes, what about glass collectors and cleaners who would have to go into this smoke filled festering pit, smokers should be taken out and shot.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
Indeed, and the remainder are going to slowly loose more custom as they find ways to attract smokers that circumnavigates the ban were possible that the non smoker objects to.
Whilst I support someone's right to smoke, the world won't stop turning because the can;r smoke in or around the public entrances to drinking establishments.

Your understanding would be best tested if the law was changed to allow for smoking and non smoking establishments. Then everyone could vote with their feet for their preference.
The first entity to cotton on to the trend in demise of pubs due to the smoking ban was the Save Our Pubs Campaign. Pubs were closing aplenty before the ban but once it was introduced there was an exact correlation between the levels of closures post staggered introduction in each of England/Wales, Scotland and Ireland. Most heavily impacted are the city pure beer pubs where indications are that they lost almost 50% of their business.

The law might be changed indeed to cater for both smoking and non-smoking but from the viewpoint of the investor I see solid backing being there for smoking pubs but far less for non-smoking unless there is a solid business plan put forward offering food wine and beer. Ironically, the voting with the feet would likely, in my view, be on the supply side.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

The law might be changed indeed to cater for both smoking and non-smoking but from the viewpoint of the investor I see solid backing being there for smoking pubs but far less for non-smoking unless there is a solid business plan put forward offering food wine and beer. Ironically, the voting with the feet would likely, in my view, be on the supply side.
Obviously you see all investors as smokers.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
Obviously you see all investors as smokers.
Probably more like hypocrites. Absentee investors, these are.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 7:18 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

1. The smoking ban

2. The pressure put on pub tenants in terms of rent and beer price by the Pubcos

3. The availability of cheap beer through supermarkets.
The only pubs we see closing are the bad ones to be honest, the problem is incredible oversupply. There are just way too many pubs especially with drinking habits changing. There are a handful of closed down pubs around here but there are still so many I would be surprised if more dont close. There are 3 in our village and the same number in many of the other villages around. With some of the silly stories I was hearing I thought we would be travelling for an hour to find a pub. To be honest the only decent pub for us in Brisbane was almost an hour away. We werent regulars
Old Oct 17th 2012, 7:29 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

The UK has the best pubs and beer in the world that's for sure and ..... It appears all the bad pubs with the bad and nasty men in them have closed and they have now stopped drinking in pubs altogether. WTF?
Old Oct 17th 2012, 9:33 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I think the pubs closing is easy to understand once you're here.

All the reasons already cited have made it harder to run a pub. You can't just throw up a sign and serve beer and be guaranteed an income. Instead you have to have a real business plan and a reason for existing, and many of the old-style landlords just don't know how to do that. They carried on running slightly grubby establishments with bad decor and dodgy food (if at all) and they wondered where all the punters had gone.

Meantime, other pub owners have worked at creating a value proposition. They've changed with the times and as a result they're still full. For some it means becoming a sports pub with big screen TVs, for others it means hiring a good chef and serving "gastro" bar meals. It depends on the locale and demographics. But you can find a run-down empty pub on the same street as one that is buzzing.

Personally I don't think it's the end of pubs - it's just the end of crap pubs.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 10:07 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I think the pubs closing is easy to understand once you're here.

All the reasons already cited have made it harder to run a pub. You can't just throw up a sign and serve beer and be guaranteed an income. Instead you have to have a real business plan and a reason for existing, and many of the old-style landlords just don't know how to do that. They carried on running slightly grubby establishments with bad decor and dodgy food (if at all) and they wondered where all the punters had gone.

Meantime, other pub owners have worked at creating a value proposition. They've changed with the times and as a result they're still full. For some it means becoming a sports pub with big screen TVs, for others it means hiring a good chef and serving "gastro" bar meals. It depends on the locale and demographics. But you can find a run-down empty pub on the same street as one that is buzzing.

Our local was pretty small and lacking in anything approaching charisma. It dragged along for years, purely because it was convenient. Then a young local guy with years of experience as a manager with a local chain of restaurants bid for the license (it's a Bellhaven pub). He put on a lick of fresh paint, invested in a few upgrades, and most importantly got some decent staff and a simple but varied menu cooked by a couple of good chefs. He also put on regular events like pub quizzes. Two years later, the place is doing an absolutely roaring trade.

As you say, you have to have a good business plan, you can't expect people to line up at the door just because it's there.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 7:25 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

Exactly, most of the pubs that I was familiar with that have closed wont be missed by many, the good ones are still here.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
Yer right there.

Being a none smoker I really laugh at the poor smokers who have to go outside of a pub in the middle of winter to get a fix of their drug addiction and come back in dishevelled and frozen.
Its the same in Perth...only you usually have to stand on the pub car park...no shade in the sun and no shelter in the rain, did not bother us at all as we do not smoke.....sorry to say this..but....its a nasty habit.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 2:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

....you hear the loveliest words in the English language.....

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Heathrow"

14 hours and counting.......
Old Oct 18th 2012, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I cant say we have experienced groups of smokers outside pub doors, there tend to be smoking areas off to the side somewhere.

We find that in nice areas/pubs you generally don't see that type of thing but we saw it in Perth as well not a much because Pubs are as rare as hens teeth lol, I hated walking in the CBD areas of Perth at lunch time etc as a lot of the office workers would be doing exactly the same. I th

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.