Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What had changed when you returned?

What had changed when you returned?

Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What had changed when you returned?

Originally Posted by nun
Lots of change.

Middlesbrough not in Division 2, either Premiership or now Championship.
Angela Ripon is really old
Who are Ant and Decks (sp)
Labour Party has Conservative Party policies
Talking about getting old, I see that Joan Bakewell ("the thinking man's crumpet") ain't as young as she used to be. (sigh)
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:01 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Talking about getting old, I see that Joan Bakewell ("the thinking man's crumpet") ain't as young as she used to be. (sigh)
Yes, time's arrow only goes one way. All those women I liked as a teenage boy are getting up there,

Joanna Lumley
Gabrielle Drake (remember Space 1999)
Diana Rigg

only Marina from Stringray stays the same, although her head and eyes are still ridiculously large
Attached Thumbnails What had changed when you returned?-marina.jpg  
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:11 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
only Marina from Stringray stays the same, although her head and eyes are still ridiculously large
I'd been wondering who Angelina Jolie was modeling herself on.....
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:18 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes I'd forgotten that song. I think I'll play it in a continuous loop until the workday ends...
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:58 am
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

You have to pay for bags in TK Max
Eastenders and Corrie had changed their schedules
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:04 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Yes, time's arrow only goes one way. All those women I liked as a teenage boy are getting up there,

Joanna Lumley
Gabrielle Drake (remember Space 1999)
Diana Rigg

Sorry, it wasn't Space 1999 it was UFO, I'm getting my Gerry and Sylvia Anderson stuff mixed up.

On a similar line Jane Asher is in this sit com "Old Guys" and looks amazing.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sunrise, Florida, now S.C USA, soon to be back In Brum, UK
hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ExBritFL
I am so envious of you right now!! What I'd do to wake up to a crisp morning and hear the birds chirping outside my window...

I'm still waiting for my house to sell before I can go back, however, I'm glad I moved away for a while, or I'd never have had this new found appreciation of our motherland...
i so agree it took 20 years of sweating in florida 50 weeks out of the year for me to figure it out finally..lol
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betsyboob
You have to pay for bags in TK Max
Eastenders and Corrie had changed their schedules
I wonder why it is TJ Max in the US, and TK Max in the UK?? I think its the same store right?
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sunrise, Florida, now S.C USA, soon to be back In Brum, UK
hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I wonder why it is TJ Max in the US, and TK Max in the UK?? I think its the same store right?
hhaaha i thought the same thing... funny though, in the U.S we go for bargins... there it is treated very 2nd rate like and old dirty kmart of sorts...
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
They have TJ Max in England ?? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! God almighty it's one thing to proliferate your own country with faceless franchises full of crap but not my green and pleasant land. ( rant over - still bloody shocked though )
Old Jan 19th 2011, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Englishman43
They have TJ Max in England ?? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! God almighty it's one thing to proliferate your own country with faceless franchises full of crap but not my green and pleasant land. ( rant over - still bloody shocked though )
Yes! And Asda belongs to Walmart! - Already been in trouble with UK law.._ (They were made to comply with the Basic Pay Rate) Dontheturner
Old Jan 19th 2011, 12:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Originally Posted by dontheturner
Yes! And Asda belongs to Walmart! - Already been in trouble with UK law.._ (They were made to comply with the Basic Pay Rate) Dontheturner
Up here where I live, in Northern New York State, our regional electricity utility is National Grid - a British company. Naturally folks sometimes have problems with their electricity provider, it goes without saying.

So I'm reading the "Sound Offs" in our local free newspaper. These are anonymous rants people send in about local issues, and are the only thing worth reading in the paper. Someone complains about National Grid (I think the company had cut off his power because he hadn't paid his bill )

Instead of just moaning about what inhuman beasts National Grid are, the writer goes into that tired old riff "I thought we got rid of King George and the Redcoats back in the War of Independence. Why should we pay our electricity bills to a foreign, colonialist company? Is America independent or what?" I was going to fire off a rejoinder mentioning Ford & General Motors & McDonalds etc but what's the point...
Old Jan 19th 2011, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Up here where I live, in Northern New York State, our regional electricity utility is National Grid - a British company. Naturally folks sometimes have problems with their electricity provider, it goes without saying.

So I'm reading the "Sound Offs" in our local free newspaper. These are anonymous rants people send in about local issues, and are the only thing worth reading in the paper. Someone complains about National Grid (I think the company had cut off his power because he hadn't paid his bill )

Instead of just moaning about what inhuman beasts National Grid are, the writer goes into that tired old riff "I thought we got rid of King George and the Redcoats back in the War of Independence. Why should we pay our electricity bills to a foreign, colonialist company? Is America independent or what?" I was going to fire off a rejoinder mentioning Ford & General Motors & McDonalds etc but what's the point...
This made made me laugh. I can't imagine anyone equating the War of Independence to their power company ... but funny

My OH listens to a talk radio show and the host has views similar to Palin with the "Take back our country theme" The guy believes that the US should cut all trade deals with the rest of the world and be self sufficient etc etc, and he sells t-shirts with various political slogans on them. Well my OH brought 2 t-shirts (much to my disgust), but what made me smile was that when they arrived, I checked the labels and one was made in Haiti and the other in Nicaragua
Old Jan 19th 2011, 6:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal21
This made made me laugh. I can't imagine anyone equating the War of Independence to their power company ... but funny

My OH listens to a talk radio show and the host has views similar to Palin with the "Take back our country theme" The guy believes that the US should cut all trade deals with the rest of the world and be self sufficient etc etc, and he sells t-shirts with various political slogans on them. Well my OH brought 2 t-shirts (much to my disgust), but what made me smile was that when they arrived, I checked the labels and one was made in Haiti and the other in Nicaragua
Did you point that out to him.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Originally Posted by mbike
We were away for 4 1/2 years.

I think public transport has got better - especially into and around London. Having seen public transport take a largely second place in Perth to the omnipresent car it is nice to find real investment in infrastructure projects like the Overground (now complete) and Cross rail (in progress).

Much more organic food in the supermarkets and a greater range of more or less everything (I counted seven varieties of potato at Sainsburys the other day). imo Coles and Woolies don't do enough to justify their total monopoly in WA.

More (too many) TV channels resulting in this poster switching to iPlayer and 4oD - and telling the TV Licensing where to go (yes, you can now legally opt out of paying if you don't watch "live" tv)

Much better recycling and green inititiatives - you get nectar points if you use your own bags in Sainsburies now.

Fewer smelly old bangers on the road. God bless the scrappage scheme.

Sadly, a proliferation of rubbish charity shops in the dead parts of local high streets. Not sure if it is ebay/gumtree/car boots that has killed of the supply of interesting bric-a-brak, but they sure are depressing now. They make Good Sammies look like Harrods.

People seem to smile more. No, seriously.
where did you live before going back?
Been away 10yrs and only went back for the first time in 5yrs about 6 months ago.Found that i apprieciated the lakes district more than ever.People chat and smile in the street.Not too much dog poop to dodge in the streets !!!! and yes London was clean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.