Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What had changed when you returned?

What had changed when you returned?

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:04 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What had changed when you returned?

Originally Posted by bobbarker12345
not a good place to live if u suffer from seasonal affective disorder. the gloom is overwhelming.
Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Mostly from the people

The places I want to live are not gloomy in winter at all. I think they're spectacularly beautiful actually. Then again, when I was an art student in Yorkshire, I used to love sitting out on the moors sketching in the fog and rain so I may not be entirely normal.
Yes I've lived in several places in England and never found the winter "gloomy." At least you can get out and about in the winter, with the footpaths, interesting places to visit, and mild temperatures. Certainly, where Iive now, there are more bright sunny days in the winter but less incentive to go out for a walk when it is -30°F (and that's before you figure in the windchill.)
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:13 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yes I've lived in several places in England and never found the winter "gloomy." At least you can get out and about in the winter, with the footpaths, interesting places to visit, and mild temperatures. Certainly, where Iive now, there are more bright sunny days in the winter but less incentive to go out for a walk when it is -30°F (and that's before you figure in the windchill.)
So true. I haven't been out for a walk in almost 3 weeks because it's been so cold and snowy. Today we are having an ice storm - I just watched my neighbor try to go to work and have to go back inside because he couldn't walk down the sheet of ice that was once his driveway. It took him 5 minutes to make his way back inside again and he landed on his bum twice. Right now, I'd give anything for a drizzly rain I could go out for a walk in.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

So true. I haven't been out for a walk in almost 3 weeks because it's been so cold and snowy. Today we are having an ice storm - I just watched my neighbor try to go to work and have to go back inside because he couldn't walk down the sheet of ice that was once his driveway. It took him 5 minutes to make his way back inside again and he landed on his bum twice. Right now, I'd give anything for a drizzly rain I could go out for a walk in.
I agree - going for walks here in the winter can be bone-chilling experiences - as well as highly dangerous today because of the icey rain coming down. I spoke to my parents yesterday and they were going for a walk as it was mild and sunny. Soon I'll be going with them - just as Spring is coming - a beautiful time in England IMHO.

Last edited by Lorac05; Feb 2nd 2011 at 3:24 pm. Reason: typo
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sunrise, Florida, now S.C USA, soon to be back In Brum, UK
hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

well said.......
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:06 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I should say that although I am moaning today, I do usually like the drama of the winter weather here. I guess I just don't mind whatever weather you give me .. except when it gets over 100 degrees and humid. That I really hate.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Sadly, I think it will be a few years for us. We have two chronically ill (but not terminally ill) cats. We can't put them through anesthesia for the micro-chipping as they may not make it through. So we are here for the time being.

But we go back to Cumbria later this year for another look round and we're already making or plans, clearing our house slowly, fixing things up etc. It's hard sometimes because I really just want to go, but it's not possible just yet so I have to make the best of it.
Oh thats so sad about your cats.......we live for our pets too!
In fact we had just done all the prep for our two dogs.They were both ready to go on Nov 16th.I kept saying "we need the house to hurry up and sell" and of course it didnt.I believe every thing happens for a reason.Then one morning one of our perfectly healthy (we thought) dogs woke up and he had hemeraged behind his eyes.To cut along story short my beautiful dog had a rare slow growing brain tumor which could not be operated on. He soon passed away and we were heart broken.But maybe thats why the house didnt sell.......who knows? we too had made our minds up that we would stay until our pets day.........but that was not long after he was diagnosed
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:01 pm
Finally Home!

Oh no! How awful. It does seem like things often happen for a reason. Your lovely dog got to spend his last days at home peacefully and that must be a comfort.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Oh no! How awful. It does seem like things often happen for a reason. Your lovely dog got to spend his last days at home peacefully and that must be a comfort.
yeah i guess so but it was terribly hard for us all.As he was only 6yrs old and looked so healthy.My dream was for him to run on the beach in the UK and to meet alll my friends who would have loved him so much.Oh well that was no to be.......but we will still take his sister,a rather different kettle of fish to his but we love her all the same lol
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bobbarker12345
not a good place to live if u suffer from seasonal affective disorder. the gloom is overwhelming.
Well, Why are you still there? Just move somewhere else, so there will be room for us coming home!
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Well, Why are you still there? Just move somewhere else, so there will be room for us coming home!
yeah my thoughts also ?????
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

I should say that although I am moaning today, I do usually like the drama of the winter weather here. I guess I just don't mind whatever weather you give me .. except when it gets over 100 degrees and humid. That I really hate.
Hello SS, That is so sad, about your Cats, but you wouldn't want to be here either - cannot go for walks, too hot. & bored out of my skull, as I am a ''doer'' and hate doing nothing - A friend in UK's G/Daughter wants to sell her, car, and it would be ideal ( If Automatic), but I don't know the state of our bank A/C in UK, so cannot say either way!. maybe they will wait --- hope so..

Take care.. and there will always be a welcome in Shropshire, for Sally, in our alley (Gracie Fields song) love dontheturner xx
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 1:29 am
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Take care.. and there will always be a welcome in Shropshire, for Sally, in our alley (Gracie Fields song) love dontheturner xx
Aww, thanks so much
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, and it really depends. There are plenty of people on this very site who will tell you there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing - and that rugging up is all that is needed - and missed.

The reality is that anything over 30C and under 0C or near 0C is not much fun - when it is week in, week out - and depending on exactly what you are doing.

I don't mind cold, it's grey skies I am not so keen on.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 2:01 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Interesting, and it really depends. There are plenty of people on this very site who will tell you there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing - and that rugging up is all that is needed - and missed.

The reality is that anything over 30C and under 0C or near 0C is not much fun - when it is week in, week out - and depending on exactly what you are doing.

I don't mind cold, it's grey skies I am not so keen on.
I guess I've lived long enough in northern New York State to be tolerant of temperatures down to about 0°F (-18° Celsius) .. 20° F is pretty mild or even warm!! If it goes down below 0°F though, I really need to wear a scarf or balaclava over my mouth and nose and I believe that is unhygienic as well as unpleasant; I'm breathing air through the fabric that is probably full of bacteria ready to come back to life as soon as they warm up.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

I guess I've lived long enough in northern New York State to be tolerant of temperatures down to about 0°F (-18° Celsius) .. 20° F is pretty mild or even warm!! If it goes down below 0°F though, I really need to wear a scarf or balaclava over my mouth and nose and I believe that is unhygienic as well as unpleasant; I'm breathing air through the fabric that is probably full of bacteria ready to come back to life as soon as they warm up.
Yeah we have had a pretty cold and snowing winter so far (only half way through) her in Alberta. Would be pleased to see some rain over green coloured fields ,plus no mosquitos in the summer yeah !!!!!! cant wait to get back to the UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.