Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What had changed when you returned?

What had changed when you returned?

Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What had changed when you returned?

Originally Posted by ExBritFL
Not much had changed in the two years I'd spent outside the country. However, I had a greater appreciation for the basics that I took for granted whilst living there.
This.

We've been away for 8 years, I thought things would've changed a lot more than they did. I'm noticing the little things more, the things I missed. For instance, waking up this morning to a chilly, bright morning and the hint of Autumn in the air, that special luminous quality of light, and the bright red hawthorn berries.

I'm so glad to know I get four seasons a year once more.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geeandtee
This.

For instance, waking up this morning to a chilly, bright morning and the hint of Autumn in the air, that special luminous quality of light, and the bright red hawthorn berries.

I'm so glad to know I get four seasons a year once more.
I am so envious of you right now!! What I'd do to wake up to a crisp morning and hear the birds chirping outside my window...

I'm still waiting for my house to sell before I can go back, however, I'm glad I moved away for a while, or I'd never have had this new found appreciation of our motherland...
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I am so envious of you right now!! What I'd do to wake up to a crisp morning and hear the birds chirping outside my window...

I'm still waiting for my house to sell before I can go back, however, I'm glad I moved away for a while, or I'd never have had this new found appreciation of our motherland...
The weather over much of July and August has really presented the best of the UK this year. My neighbour just told me they are predicting a particularly harsh winter this year (apparently certain autumn berries are showing early this year, go figure), but that's pretty much the norm round these parts.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

My neighbour just told me they are predicting a particularly harsh winter this year (apparently certain autumn berries are showing early this year, go figure), but that's pretty much the norm round these parts.[/QUOTE]

I don't mind the winter, get's me in the mood for Xmas which is quite hard in Sunny Florida - somehow, eating your turkey and trimmings whilst it's 80degrees outside, just doesn't feel right!!!

I find it's easier to warm up - (put on some extra layers, take a nice walk etc.), than to cool down...
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:52 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind the winter, get's me in the mood for Xmas which is quite hard in Sunny Florida - somehow, eating your turkey and trimmings whilst it's 80degrees outside, just doesn't feel right!!!

I find it's easier to warm up - (put on some extra layers, take a nice walk etc.), than to cool down...
If it's just cold and dry, agreed, but round here we're talking constant rain and howling winds. I think I find those conditions particularly wearing because several times a day I have to dry off the dog, who seems to be covered in half the mud in Scotland - and walks straight to the hallway to shake it all over the walls!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
That and camping!
Yes, camping has become very trendy back here now. Around where we are (Sussex) the campsites are full of bell tents tipees and yurts (mongolian communal tents), with lots of young families enjoying the renaissance in everything open air. The campsites where you can have open fires are particularly populars and the vibe is very community-focussed. Anyone who have been to somewhere like Heaven Farm or Wowo would struggle to recognise the Sid and Babs Carry-on camping sterotype.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
For those who have spent time away from the UK, living overseas, what did you notice had changed when you went back to Britain?
We were away for 4 1/2 years.

I think public transport has got better - especially into and around London. Having seen public transport take a largely second place in Perth to the omnipresent car it is nice to find real investment in infrastructure projects like the Overground (now complete) and Cross rail (in progress).

Much more organic food in the supermarkets and a greater range of more or less everything (I counted seven varieties of potato at Sainsburys the other day). imo Coles and Woolies don't do enough to justify their total monopoly in WA.

More (too many) TV channels resulting in this poster switching to iPlayer and 4oD - and telling the TV Licensing where to go (yes, you can now legally opt out of paying if you don't watch "live" tv)

Much better recycling and green inititiatives - you get nectar points if you use your own bags in Sainsburies now.

Fewer smelly old bangers on the road. God bless the scrappage scheme.

Sadly, a proliferation of rubbish charity shops in the dead parts of local high streets. Not sure if it is ebay/gumtree/car boots that has killed of the supply of interesting bric-a-brak, but they sure are depressing now. They make Good Sammies look like Harrods.

People seem to smile more. No, seriously.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Just MBike's last post was very good, even though I am looking to get back out of the UK I do agree with you.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Red face Re: What had changed when you returned?

Originally Posted by dunroving
If it's just cold and dry, agreed, but round here we're talking constant rain and howling winds. I think I find those conditions particularly wearing because several times a day I have to dry off the dog, who seems to be covered in half the mud in Scotland - and walks straight to the hallway to shake it all over the walls!
My second Wife and I had that problem - so we set to, and built a small verandah, over the back door, and then shut both our dogs out there, till they had shaken themselves, and dried off a little. EASY! dontheturner.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 3:16 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by dontheturner
My second Wife and I had that problem - so we set to, and built a small verandah, over the back door, and then shut both our dogs out there, till they had shaken themselves, and dried off a little. EASY! dontheturner.
What's your going rate on building a verandah? - I may have a job for you!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

My neighbour just told me they are predicting a particularly harsh winter this year (apparently certain autumn berries are showing early this year, go figure), but that's pretty much the norm round these parts.

Nature's bounty in the UK this late summer/early autumn in the form of all kinds soft fruit and berries and fruit generally in the form of apples, pears and especially plums (a massive glut this year of all kinds of plums) is one of the most fruitful for many years. The bushes and trees and shrubs are weighed down with them all. Taking a walk along the country lanes the blackberries are especially good this year. Some people say that the cold winter and a very dry spring and early summer are the reason for it all.

I run a weather station as a hobby here and I have to say that, so far, there is nothing to indicate that another harsh winter is imminent in the UK and the rest of Western Europe, but as this is the UK - anything can happen weatherwise. Right now the first of September has been absolutely gorgeous - wall to wall sunshine and up to 22C. August was crap much of the time though.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Nature's bounty in the UK this late summer/early autumn in the form of all kinds soft fruit and berries and fruit generally in the form of apples, pears and especially plums (a massive glut this year of all kinds of plums) is one of the most fruitful for many years. The bushes and trees and shrubs are weighed down with them all. Taking a walk along the country lanes the blackberries are especially good this year. Some people say that the cold winter and a very dry spring and early summer are the reason for it all.

I run a weather station as a hobby here and I have to say that, so far, there is nothing to indicate that another harsh winter is imminent in the UK and the rest of Western Europe, but as this is the UK - anything can happen weatherwise. Right now the first of September has been absolutely gorgeous - wall to wall sunshine and up to 22C. August was crap much of the time though.
I would definitely agree that this year has been more fruitful. Here are a few of the Boletus Edulis (cep/porcini) we came across last week on a walk in West Sussex. Now dried and bagged for warming risotto in the cold months to come.
Attached Thumbnails What had changed when you returned?-img_1599.jpg  
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Red face Re: What had changed when you returned?

Originally Posted by dunroving
What's your going rate on building a verandah? - I may have a job for you!
hello Again, dunrovin!

You may be jesting, but although I am 80+ now, if my health holds up, when I return in March, I may well be interested, in helping you out. I have built over 15, in the past ten years, plus a few, front door storm porches!- problem in Shropshire now, is not my ability, but all the Timber Yards, I knew and loved and dealt with, in the past, have gone. Where are you located, don't say, near Edinburgh!!! regards dontheturner.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:34 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

We've been away 6 years (in the U.S.) and just returned to the U.K. 3 weeks ago.

One thing we've noticed is that it seems that food portions (in pubs, restaurants) have become MUCH larger.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DDL
We've been away 6 years (in the U.S.) and just returned to the U.K. 3 weeks ago.

One thing we've noticed is that it seems that food portions (in pubs, restaurants) have become MUCH larger.
Sadly the UK seems similar to Australia, Us and Canada, evolving into obesogenic environments (where portions-size, foodstuffs and a sedentary lifestyle conspire to encourage weight gain through everyday life rather than conscious choice).

Thankfully I now have to cycle 20 minutes to the station, climb umpteen steps in the underground and then walk 10 mins to the office every day which seems to have countered the most obvious effects of this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.