What was the final straw for you?

Old Nov 10th 2006, 4:04 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What was the final straw for you?

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
Hello there TraceyW

We should start a thread on the Australia forum titled
"For Christ sake, whatever you do DON"T sell your house"

I didn't sell up, I still own my little house, it is now worth (apparently) 4 times what I paid for it. And its not exactly flash.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I couldn't stand the backlash from all of those hopeful people who obviously will assume that we are either:

a) Mentally retarded because we don't like it here

b) complete social misfits who would not adapt

c) intellectual dolts who obviously were way too thick for Oz

d) Idiots because we obviously didn't research/prepare ourselves for this

e) Bring the good British reputation down because of our incessant whinging about this place.

f) Stupid pillocks because we require more than a big house/pool/barbie/beach to float our boats!

Oh, I could go on and on!!

P.S I did sell my house and I am glad we did really. I wouldn't go back to my home town anyway, been there, done that, time for a new challenge in life if we go back.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Rosie I said the same thing to my husband last night - I feel so sorry for them because although some will come and love it here, there are so many others who will go through the same turmoils that we have all been through. I read some posts and it sounds just like us last year, so full of hope and enthusiasm - how they are going to love living in paradise, work less, earn more etc.

It's really heartbreaking to know that others will have exactly the same problems and difficulties that we've been through. But like you said, if you did tell them they wouldn't believe you. I suppose that they just have to find out for themselves like we did.
It's like when your parents advise you not to drink and you think blah blah blah blah blah.
Then you do exactly what they told you not to, and after chucking, falling over, getting the worst headache ever, ruining you whole weekend, swearing at your friends, catching all sorts of nasty diseases - you eventually realise they were right after all.

I would like to stress that I did not at any time partake of any of the above, I was always very well behaved, sensible and in control of my impeccable manners at all times. My knowledge of the above is all based purely on hear say
Old Nov 10th 2006, 4:06 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Un glued on glue perhaps.

What are you suggesting, it is outrageous.
no not outragous but may be needed to quell the stress
by the way do you know the definition of stress?

well it is the suffering caused when the brain over rides the bodies natural desire to choke the living shit out of some arsehole who really deserves it!
Old Nov 10th 2006, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I couldn't stand the backlash from all of those hopeful people who obviously will assume that we are either:

a) Mentally retarded because we don't like it here

b) complete social misfits who would not adapt

c) intellectual dolts who obviously were way too thick for Oz

d) Idiots because we obviously didn't research/prepare ourselves for this

e) Bring the good British reputation down because of our incessant whinging about this place.

f) Stupid pillocks because we require more than a big house/pool/barbie/beach to float our boats!

Oh, I could go on and on!!

P.S I did sell my house and I am glad we did really. I wouldn't go back to my home town anyway, been there, done that, time for a new challenge in life if we go back.
Yeah, it would p... them off good and proper!
But we of course wouldn't be the slightest bit amused by such a thing, now would we.........how childish
Old Nov 10th 2006, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toandfro
no not outragous but may be needed to quell the stress
by the way do you know the definition of stress?

well it is the suffering caused when the brain over rides the bodies natural desire to choke the living shit out of some arsehole who really deserves it!
They would be many a choked Aussie strewn about the land, we would be tripping over them. They are lucky the stress has taken over.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 4:21 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

They would be many a choked Aussie strewn about the land, we would be tripping over them. They are lucky the stress has taken over.
not if you know where to hide the bodies hahahahaha(evil laugh)
Old Nov 10th 2006, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

not if you know where to hide the bodies hahahahaha(evil laugh)
Do you know most Aussie would not get this humour at all.

My hubby would he understands irony, he was highly and intensively schooled in the art during his 10 years in the UK. He isn't your typical Aussie, thank goodness
Old Nov 10th 2006, 4:55 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

I find it almost kind of sad in a way to skim through the Australia threads written by those who are excitedly arranging their new and better life in Australia. Having been in that position yourself, you know some of them will fail to prove that the Aussie hype is correct and find the whole thing a huge disapointment. It takes an awful lot of effort to organise moving to Australia in the first place, I feel like screaming at them "stop, don't do it!". But they would probably tell you that you don't know what you are talking about, and to get lost.

There are so many coming and going, what a money spinner that must be for somebody, and we know it isn't us - the ones in the middle of it all.
I try to inject some realism into their threads, but most of them really are living in cloud cuckoo land. Of course, no one wants them to find it isn't all that it's cracked up to be, or what they'd hoped it would be. But you can't advise caution, because then you'll get accused of being anti-Australian whinging POM who should just go home if you haven't got the perfect life they fully expect to be living when they get over here.

They're all half-full glasses people - obviously spiked with something that has affected their ability to foresee all the possibilities. If only I could get my hands on the stuff.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 5:13 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

since i have been living in Perth i have not been on a night out. Maybe thats because the nights out here are far apart and expensive...most people we know stay home and have a BBQ..tonight we are having a BBQ...and it's raining!!!! just like good old english weather---very unpredicatable.
But the Barbie is still on..i don't feel excited..just going with the flow..and i will awake tomorrow and think another boring day...in the rain or sunshine??!!
How exciting my life seems
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:08 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
since i have been living in Perth i have not been on a night out. Maybe thats because the nights out here are far apart and expensive...most people we know stay home and have a BBQ..tonight we are having a BBQ...and it's raining!!!! just like good old english weather---very unpredicatable.
But the Barbie is still on..i don't feel excited..just going with the flow..and i will awake tomorrow and think another boring day...in the rain or sunshine??!!
How exciting my life seems
you mean you haven't been on a girlies night out in Subiaco yet? Its not the same as large city centres at home not by a long chalk but there are still some nice bars.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 11:08 am
beam me up scotty

Do you know most Aussie would not get this humour at all.

My hubby would he understands irony, he was highly and intensively schooled in the art during his 10 years in the UK. He isn't your typical Aussie, thank goodness
they don't get most things poor darlings the sun as BBQed their noodles as for your hubbie I'll take your word for it ,if he was in UK for 10yrs and married you he must have some taste and sense
Old Nov 10th 2006, 11:15 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there TraceyW

We should start a thread on the Australia forum titled
"For Christ sake, whatever you do DON"T sell your house"

I didn't sell up, I still own my little house, it is now worth (apparently) 4 times what I paid for it. And its not exactly flash.
Oooh am feeling very mischeivous - please do it and see the reaction.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

they don't get most things poor darlings the sun as BBQed their noodles as for your hubbie I'll take your word for it ,if he was in UK for 10yrs and married you he must have some taste and sense
Every word you write is totally and utterly true.

He did undergo intensive reprogramming training to get where he is today. That was no mean feat, I can tell you.

One person who has worked with him for ages was stunned to discover he is an Aussie and not English. Yeah, I know, my mission is complete.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Oooh am feeling very mischeivous - please do it and see the reaction.

I'm too much of a chicken, mischievous, but still a chicken. It looks a bit scary on the "other side", I might turn into a zombie.

my vote goes to toandfro, they seem like a brave sort, the zombie vibes won't affect toandfro, he (he is a he isn't he?) is made of stearner stuff than that.

You will like this one toandfro, I did a spellcheck on this post and it wants me to call you TANDOORI, is it a sign .....?
Old Nov 11th 2006, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gardnma
Thanks for your insights.

My experience is having been away for soooo long and with a lot of water having passed under the bridge, the pull back home is still there.
Anyone been away a long time and still deal with the desire to return? How do you deal with it?

Cheers

yes still get very homesick after 50 years. :scared: Have children here, also Grandchildren so feel that I can't leave. the only way I survive here is to holiday to the U.K each year, guess that's where I am lucky I can afford to do that now, mind you it took me 20 years in OZ before I could afford my first trip home..... oh look I am still calling it HOME after 50 years :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.