What was the final straw for you?

Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What was the final straw for you?

Originally Posted by FPM
That's easy enough countered with here: Immigrants (they are here as well he is one of them), crime ( that's everywhere as well look up the figures on violent crime per capital,), filth (yeah not as much litter here, but waaay more grafitti than I have ever seen in the UK) rain, rain, rain, (sun, sun, sun and at least the rain is useful!) Frosts (sunburn) expensive (really, look again at how expensive things are here), box like house (McMansions with no soul) grey and crap (bright and boring).

Above all tell him to stop reading the F___ing Daily Mail
Yes keep of the Daily Mail. Everything perfect here then?
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:00 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinkerbell
thanks,

the only reason we didn't sell, was because we were in a fortunate position and didn't need the cash to come over, and i didn't have the nerve to cut all my ties.

i love my house, spent a lot of money on it, renovating and extending it, and i know that if i sold it now, and then wanted to buy it again, i wouldn't be able to afford it. I would hate to move back, see my home, and know that i would never be able to afford to live there.

i know some people think i might not be committed to making
oz work, but i'm protecting my interests further down the line. i get comfort from knowing that my home is there, if and when i'm ready to go home.
You are doing the right thing and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. We renovated, extended, sold and I was gutted to see it go but we needed the money from the sale. Now it hasn't worked out for us here and how I wish I could get my house back. Hubby just keeps saying it's bricks and mortar and we'll get another but when you've put your blood sweat and tears into something it's far more than that. Even if you don't ever go back, at least it's an investment.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:03 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
You are doing the right thing and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. We renovated, extended, sold and I was gutted to see it go but we needed the money from the sale. Now it hasn't worked out for us here and how I wish I could get my house back. Hubby just keeps saying it's bricks and mortar and we'll get another but when you've put your blood sweat and tears into something it's far more than that. Even if you don't ever go back, at least it's an investment.
ditto nothing more I can add
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
I went back to the UK in July for a month and I really felt like I'd buried the ghost of going home. I couldn't wait to get back to Oz. The first month or so back here were great. It was good to be back with hubby and in my house again. But as the months have rolled on I am getting all those feelings again of "is this it? Is this my lot in life?". We have decided to go over to Brisbane on a rekkie next year, if we like it, we'll move over. If we don't it's back to Blighty for us. Hubby is desperately hoping I like Brisbane. He really doesn't want to go home. Time will tell.
I did a similar thing in April. I went back for a visit hoping I'd hate it and come running back to Perth, but unfortunately it just made me realize that, warts n all, the UK is where I really belong. The lovely wife unfortunately vetoed a move back to England.

I don't hate it here in Perth, and it did feel nice to be back... for a few weeks.

I have since relapsed and now all I think about is getting out of here.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:30 am

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
I did a similar thing in April. I went back for a visit hoping I'd hate it and come running back to Perth, but unfortunately it just made me realize that, warts n all, the UK is where I really belong. The lovely wife unfortunately vetoed a move back to England.

I don't hate it here in Perth, and it did feel nice to be back... for a few weeks.

Must be rotten when one of you loves it here and the other wants to leave - I'm so grateful that we are all of the same mind in our family. You'll have to try all your powers of persuasion - wish you lots of luck.

Last edited by LouiseD; Nov 9th 2006 at 1:39 am. Reason: wording
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:36 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile

I am suppost to be painting the walls of this...departure lounge but the e mail pings and here I am sharing with my own
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
I went back to the UK in July for a month and I really felt like I'd buried the ghost of going home. I couldn't wait to get back to Oz. The first month or so back here were great. It was good to be back with hubby and in my house again. But as the months have rolled on I am getting all those feelings again of "is this it? Is this my lot in life?". We have decided to go over to Brisbane on a rekkie next year, if we like it, we'll move over. If we don't it's back to Blighty for us. Hubby is desperately hoping I like Brisbane. He really doesn't want to go home. Time will tell.

Maybe you missed hubby not australia.

Know the turmoil, we have to go back soon to see family ( health issues if we dont go now wont see them again) dreading that, dreading the goodbyes again, dreading most of all that between us, somebody is bound to become unsettled from the trip and want to return.

I honestly think if we are going to stay here we will not go back again even to visit, its the only way to stop the overwhelming emotions the bloody trips back home unleash.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:43 am
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

Must be rotten when one of you loves it here and the other wants to leave - I'm so grateful that we are all of the same mind in our family. You'll have to try all your powers of persuasion - wish you lots of luck.
Well I'm lucky in that my wife doesn't love it here (doesn't hate it either) but I'm unlucky in that she doesn't love it there either. I am pleased she recognises my need to get out of here eventually. Just got a work out a way she can see the UK in a different light. But either way we'll leave here and even if it is Canada, it's a hell of a lot closer to the UK than here.

She likes France ( is that grounds for divorce? )
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Must be rotten when one of you loves it here and the other wants to leave - I'm so grateful that we are all of the same mind in our family. Good luck - you'll need all your powers of persuasion.
It hasn't been easy, but could be worse. There are many things I like here, and we really do have a good life. But, as many have said, I just find myself thinking, is this it? I cannot accept that. There must be more.

My wife has actually agreed very recently to go back to England and give it a try. She thinks the kids are getting sloppy here, and that staying in Perth would be very limiting, although very easy and comfortable. We have to move quickly, before she changes her mind (or I do)

We haven't lived in England properly as a family before, as we were in Japan for five years and came straight to Perth from Tokyo. My oldest daughter was born in England, but we left when she was almost one (she's now eight), so that's my biggest concern -- putting the kids into a harder system, and a society that seems to have a harder edge to it.

I can't stand the thought of the kids growing up with no appreciation of the UK. I see my 5-yearold daughter pretending to like AFL and the Eagles after brainwashing sessions at school, and it sends a shudder down my spine.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FPM
Well I'm lucky in that my wife doesn't love it here (doesn't hate it either) but I'm unlucky in that she doesn't love it there either. I am pleased she recognises my need to get out of here eventually. Just got a work out a way she can see the UK in a different light. But either way we'll leave here and even if it is Canada, it's a hell of a lot closer to the UK than here.

I see some similarities in our situations. My wife is Japanese and seems to prefer it here in Perth, as there are loads of Japanese people and other Asians here, and you can get all the food easily and very cheaply compared with in the UK. It's also very easy to drive around, etc. Her reasons are all practical ones, whereas my reasons for wanting to go back to England are all based on an emotional attachment, feeling of belonging, sense of boredom here, etc.

We lived together in England before we had kids in the mid-1990s, and she really liked it, but I was a student then, so a bit different to real life. She didn't have this to compare it to then, either.

I think the key factor in our case in persuading my wife to go and try England again has been the promise of living fairly close to a vibrant town or city, from which it is also possible to do day trips to London by train. I grew up in Dorset, but I think it would be a bit too sleepy for her.

Proximity to Europe is also a big factor. Promise her trips to France every month!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:13 am
beam me up scotty

Originally Posted by FPM

may be grounds for diviorce but you could live in france (north)and travel to UK once a week until she gives in and moves to the uk ...might work
Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:52 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FPM

Unless you are already a canadian or US citizen/PR then prepare for a long wait if you fancy Canada. 5 years is the current expected timescale between applying and landing.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

We renovated new kitchen, en-suite, paint carpets.it breaks my heart. I live in a larege cardboard box now.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 4:04 am
beam me up scotty

Originally Posted by by the sea side
We renovated new kitchen, en-suite, paint carpets.it breaks my heart. I live in a larege cardboard box now.
have bought here -have found Bunnings is no B&Q

Last edited by toandfro; Nov 9th 2006 at 4:13 am.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by by the sea side
It really is gutting isn't it? I get scared too when I think that we'll have to start all over again as we've lost so much financially, we can't afford to buy a similar property. I think I'm getting past all that work - I keep waking up at night having palpitations just thinking of all that dust, mess, scraping, knocking :scared: - oh God I so need a lotto win

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.