Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Oct 21st 2013, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

What are the chances of actually making it alive through the next year in the UK?
Old Oct 21st 2013, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
What I find reason to mock old sparkles is the fact that this poster will incessantly look for negatives.
No I don't:
Originally Posted by roaringmouse
A good summary of the opinions I have actually offered is something I said much earlier in this thread: "there's no definitive yes or no answer to the UK being "that bad", however there's probably more negatives than positives on the spectrum at the moment but things will get better".
Old Oct 21st 2013, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
What are the chances of actually making it alive through the next year in the UK?
Buggered if I know.

No I don't:
A sprinkling of positive does not compensate for an avalanche of negative. Frankly if I were alone in this view, then perhaps....; but I am not am I?
Old Oct 21st 2013, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

A sprinkling of positive does not compensate for an avalanche of negative. Frankly if I were alone in this view, then perhaps....; but I am not am I?
It isn't my fault that there are more negative stories regarding the economy and cost of living in the UK than there are positive. As I said, probably more negatives than positives on the spectrum at the moment - need to keep a realistic picture of what's happening rather than a rose tinted view like some people.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 10:52 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Don't make any long term plans....we are all doomed
Old Oct 21st 2013, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't my fault that there are more negative stories regarding the economy and cost of living in the UK than there are positive. As I said, probably more negatives than positives on the spectrum at the moment - need to keep a realistic picture of what's happening rather than a rose tinted view like some people.
Rory, I promise you-I promise you, I have no illusions. I am just reading another thread comparing the industriousness of Germany with some....some of the tarnish of the UK today.

In my view that is completely down to the genetic mutants so cosseted and overpaid. They are called politicans. I shall continue to refer to them as polishituns.

What I and there are so very many others, will continue to push for, is some of what Australians do (not all, but the majority). That is to play up their country instead of playing it down.

SA is touted to have the second highest power costs in the World. Its polishituns (who though a tiny country, are the highest paid of any Western democracy), have systematically stripped welfare programmes to the bone, whilst feathering their own fetid nests.
(It is unsurprising that the richest woman on the planet lives here).

HOWEVER,-still the Australian will refer to their country as the greatest on Earth/living the dream etc. I think that's crap, but I admire and respect them for their positive outlook.

I don't believe for a minute that we should avoid acknowledging very real problems, BUT what would be damn good would be to acknowledge that such problems are generally global, and above all else...

...learn a bit from Australians: stop incessantly running down the UK. Which is endemic.

I have little tolerance for it after watching and falling foul of some of the problems here in Australia.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

(It is unsurprising that the richest woman on the planet lives here).
Forbes has Liliane Bettencourt as the richest women in the world in their current list?
I don't believe for a minute that we should avoid acknowledging very real problems, BUT what would be damn good would be to acknowledge that such problems are generally global, and above all else...

...learn a bit from Australians: stop incessantly running down the UK. Which is endemic.
I'm not running down the UK, I've been providing qualified stats and articles to balance this thread, and have offered my opinion that things will get better (eventually) - having all positive would be very misleading and also incredibly naive. To people suffering in one country, it doesn't matter if there may be a similar issue in a different country - we're talking about one country in this thread, the UK.

As you've brought up Australia, I've also heard plenty of Australians talk down aspects of Australia.

Thing is, you are currently on the other side of the world to the UK. I'm in the UK and am very much aware of the suffering that people are going through due to cost of living pressures, a real decrease in wages, increase in prices including for energy. Not everyone like another poster on here is in the position of having won the Australian house price lottery and able to cash buy a house in the UK and whatever else. People are suffering in the UK and I will not ignore that - no "positive outlook" will change that reality.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 11:52 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Forbes has Liliane Bettencourt as the richest women in the world in their current list?I'm not running down the UK, I've been providing qualified stats and articles to balance this thread, and have offered my opinion that things will get better (eventually) - having all positive would be very misleading and also incredibly naive. To people suffering in one country, it doesn't matter if there may be a similar issue in a different country - we're talking about one country in this thread, the UK.

As you've brought up Australia, I've also heard plenty of Australians talk down aspects of Australia.

Thing is, you are currently on the other side of the world to the UK. I'm in the UK and am very much aware of the suffering that people are going through due to cost of living pressures, a real decrease in wages, increase in prices including for energy. Not everyone like another poster on here is in the position of having won the Australian house price lottery and able to cash buy a house in the UK and whatever else. People are suffering in the UK and I will not ignore that - no "positive outlook" will change that reality.
I will buy a house for cash.....and I made the money in the UK....not the Australian house price lottery
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 12:06 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I will buy a house for cash.....and I made the money in the UK....not the Australian house price lottery
You been saving?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...st-one-1718920
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Forbes has Liliane Bettencourt as the richest women in the world in their current list?I'm not running down the UK, I've been providing qualified stats and articles to balance this thread, and have offered my opinion that things will get better (eventually) - having all positive would be very misleading and also incredibly naive. To people suffering in one country, it doesn't matter if there may be a similar issue in a different country - we're talking about one country in this thread, the UK.

-This is terrible news!!! I shall have to start a collection for poor Gina. (Perhaps this was more positive spin by the Ausmedia? We have the biggest/the best/the richest....)

As to the rest? No you haven't. You have not provided balance at all. It is also telling that you make the valid statement that this is about the UK, yet still feel the need to show that you've heard 'plenty of Australians talk down aspects of Australia'. You have an obsessive need to concentrate on the negative......'Black puddins' very black today Muther'.

I'm not in the UK? A fair point. I can't disagree.

'People suffering in the UK' is the wind beneath your wings Rory. Without that you'd be lost!!!
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 12:07 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by brissybee
Perhaps I will buy a small town instead
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another big increase announced by an energy company, this time Npower - 9.3% increase for electricity, and 11.1% increase for gas. With these big increases taking place just before winter, there will be quite a lot of people wondering how they can survive if it's a really cold winter.
A percentage rise way above inflation, and even further above any average wage increase will be a grave concern for many people, especially the elderly. I've just read on age concern websites about the rise in EWD and how lack of proper affordable heating and poor energy efficient homes will cost the health service an estimated £1.6 billion this winter due to illnesses caused by such.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 8:39 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
A percentage rise way above inflation, and even further above any average wage increase will be a grave concern for many people, especially the elderly. I've just read on age concern websites about the rise in EWD and how lack of proper affordable heating and poor energy efficient homes will cost the health service an estimated £1.6 billion this winter due to illnesses caused by such.
Perhaps that nice Mr Cameron will increase the WFA by £75 a year, would go some way to offsetting the increases..
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

It is also telling that you make the valid statement that this is about the UK, yet still feel the need to show that you've heard 'plenty of Australians talk down aspects of Australia'.
YOU are the one who talked about Australia, and how they always play up Australia. It was a response to what you said.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Grayling
I was not referring to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.