Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Oct 17th 2013, 8:42 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by chris955 View Post
Its interesting actually because quite often I see people using 'rising crime' as one of their reasons to leave the UK when in fact the opposite is clearly the case. Also interesting that they are usually headed for a country with almost identical crime rates.
Really? I might see rising crime as a reason not to go back, but usually the reasons I see for people leaving is for work or, like me, following their knob.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
More good news for anyone looking at making the move 'home'.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24566994
That will annoy them.
That will annoy who? The people making the move back to the UK that the poster mentioned? Seems an odd statement to make, when I think most people would be pleased to see any crime statistic dropping - except for those who are perpetrators.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
I know from a personal view, I had my sheds broken into about 6 times in my last year - and probably reported 2 - plus the house burglary - but I had a very bad experience with TVP which was reinforced by their actions during the reporting of one of the robberies so I'm probably not the best person to offer an opinion.
The fact that you have been a victim to crime, on multiple occasions with experience of reporting to police on some of those, would make you an ideal person to offer an opinion I would have thought.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 9:34 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse View Post
The fact that you have been a victim to crime, on multiple occasions with experience of reporting to police on some of those, would make you an ideal person to offer an opinion I would have thought.
Yes and no - there was an incident where TVP broke into the wrong house, turned it upside down, then left - and the young spark was first home and was really upset - as was I when I saw it

They then lied about everything, and other things that ended when I took them to court. I'm not a big fan of having police in my home so the only crimes I've reported since then were when I needed to, or someone was in danger.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not a big fan of having police in my home so the only crimes I've reported since then were when I needed to, or someone was in danger.
I think that's quite common, that "lesser" crimes don't get reported.

An example is a couple of months ago I was in my car in a car park. The person from the car next to mine returned to leave, and as he was reversing caught the corner of my car with his. I got out of the car pretty quickly, he saw me but drove off. I checked where he hit my car, there is some scratching but nothing major.

Technically it's a hit and run, however with no one injured and no major damage then why report it - the police won't do anything, and having it repaired would cost less than the insurance excess and in any case informing the insurance company of this incident would increase my premium and count as a claim.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse View Post
I think that is entirely fair RM.

I watched a man with a knife slashing at his wrists surrounded by Police just outside my lounge room window.
I enjoyed my cup of coffee sipping contentedly away curious about a type of ambulance parked outside. The cadaver? was brought out in a body bag, it was drugs. I just enjoyed my coffee, only shocked that I wasn't shocked.
The Facebook party-we were under siege.
A woman was raped whilst jogging along the next residential street to me.
Dodging a bullet in a Bistro, because of a bikie war-apparently me laddo was sitting two tables from me.
A brothel four doors down. She had an overnight light on; I had a sunset switch=overnight light on. I got the Johns at all hours. I finally put a note by the bell:'you want number ..'.
Drug dealers across the road.
Drug dealers (told yesterday) in a house on the corner. I look on the bright side here-they were raided with Police and their dogs all over the place. Let me tell you, I was mightily annoyed because I missed all the ruckus. Sod it!

I am happy to share that I live in North Adelaide. Look it up. It is the domain of much of the Adelaide elite (rates dropped when I took up residence).

I don't care that this is about the UK. This type of crap goes on everywhere.
I know that 'we all know that', but crime rates are incessantly used as a UK negative.

All of these pages I would venture to say are a prime example of why (and I only speak of what I have experience of) many migrants become disenchanted with Australia.
The incessant criticism of the UK lends itself to the perception that Australia is better-specifically because (and all credit to) the Australian will not bag his country; rather to the contrary.

It creates a perception that is simply untrue. For those who have spent so much time effort and money getting themselves here, it is grossly unfair to them, and totally misleading.

It is frustrating in the extreme to see this. Without question there will be very many who will settle happily, either permanently of for many years. Damn good luck to them.

My objection is and will remain that all the links in the world can be put up until the cows come home.
The simple fact is that all countries have problems. I speak only of these two because one is generally criticised, and the other generally praised.

In both cases it is a crock of hit (with a silent s).
Old Oct 18th 2013, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked View Post

I watched a man with a knife slashing at his wrists surrounded by Police just outside my lounge room window.
I enjoyed my cup of coffee sipping contentedly away curious about a type of ambulance parked outside. The cadaver? was brought out in a body bag, it was drugs. I just enjoyed my coffee, only shocked that I wasn't shocked.
Dodging a bullet in a Bistro, because of a bikie war-apparently me laddo was sitting two tables from me.
A brothel four doors down. She had an overnight light on; I had a sunset switch=overnight light on. I got the Johns at all hours. I finally put a note by the bell:'you want number ..'.
Drug dealers (told yesterday) in a house on the corner. I look on the bright side here-they were raided with Police and their dogs all over the place. Let me tell you, I was mightily annoyed because I missed all the ruckus. Sod it!

I am happy to share that I live in North Adelaide. Look it up. It is the domain of much of the Adelaide elite (rates dropped when I took up residence).

I know that 'we all know that', but crime rates are incessantly used as a UK negative.

All of these pages I would venture to say are a prime example of why (and I only speak of what I have experience of) many migrants become disenchanted with Australia.
The incessant criticism of the UK lends itself to the perception that Australia is better-specifically because (and all credit to) the Australian will not bag his country; rather to the contrary.

It creates a perception that is simply untrue. For those who have spent so much time effort and money getting themselves here, it is grossly unfair to them, and totally misleading.

It is frustrating in the extreme to see this. Without question there will be very many who will settle happily, either permanently of for many years. Damn good luck to them.

My objection is and will remain that all the links in the world can be put up until the cows come home.
The simple fact is that all countries have problems. I speak only of these two because one is generally criticised, and the other generally praised.

Spent two weeks in Adelaide in 2010. Very British (looking and feeling). We had a wonderful trip. I was judging dog shows. We were treated very well on all counts. In general I thought Australia would be more British. Sydney in particular seemed much more Asian. I was quite surprised.
Having been back to Belfast last year and almost on a yearly basis for 40 years...it has become much more diverse......aside from the eternal religious/political issues. Sadly, there appears to be much crime within the Eastern European communities. However...In general, Northern Ireland has now acquired a European flair.....we felt somewhat isolated for a long time.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is that happens everywhere. We had our car broken into in Brisbane and didnt bother reporting it. We had what was a party gone bad right outside our house again in Brisbane, there was a stabbing, a bloke running around with an axe and 3 cop cars turned up. When I asked my cop mate about it there was no Police report made, he couldnt find any info on the incident at all. My point is that there will obviously be more crime than just those reported but if the reported crime is constantly going down it would figure that the overall crime rate is going down, including unreported.
It doesn't 'figure' at all. It's possible, but certainly not a given fact.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

munch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nice

I have seen so much more crime in Perth than I did in the 36 years of living in the UK;
3 burglaries over the past 18 months on the street with live.
Shoplifting, one incident was very nasty with people getting hurt.
Fights in shopping centers between gangs.
Road rage way beyond anything I have ever known as well as ridiculous amounts of people driving whilst obviously stoned out of their heads or drinking and driving or actually driving along with a bottle of VB in their hand with kids in the car with no seatbelts on. Know people that get a 6 pack for their drive home!!!!
Racism from kids actually telling my kids to go back to where they came from, they can only get those opinions from their parents.
Gangs at train stations causing trouble late at night.
My son has been chased at night by gangs and had bottles thrown at him from young adults in cars, a friend of his was mugged coming out of work for $5.00.
A park opposite a house we lived was vandalised, graffiti and block pavers smashed up and thrown they then ran through the suburb screaming, smashing cars and fighting between themselves.
I find there is so much aggression, lots of people are having a rough time here financially and older kids are very, very bored. There is nothing for them to do and the City is too far away for a nightout not to mention expensive so they arrange house parties (gatherings as they like to call them) but they get way out of control, a poor lad had his throat cut recently and every week there are fights, police called, helicopters etc. to break them up, parents are actually hiring security now to try and control the crowds.
Don't get me wrong Perth is amazing for young families but when the kids get older there is no nightlife here for young adults unless they go into the City, no theme parks, concerts are getting better but are too expensive and the best ones are on the East coast which is like flying to Tenerife from the UK to go to a concert for a day!!
Substance abuse is a huge problem as well as alcohol abuse and the bikie wars just seem to be getting worse.
I think I'm trying to say Australia is not paradise, there is a very dark side here and there are lots of problems like anywhere else in the world. Drives me mad when people choose to ignore or pretend it doesn't happen.
I don't think there is anywhere better for open space, beaches, free family events etc. but kids grow out of all that and they need more and it's then, in my opinion, I feel that the UK can offer them so much more than the odd house party at weekend or trip into the City.

Last edited by munch; Oct 18th 2013 at 3:23 am. Reason: typo
Old Oct 18th 2013, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by munch View Post
I have seen so much more crime in Perth than I did in the 36 years of living in the UK;
3 burglaries over the past 18 months on the street with live.
Shoplifting, one incident was very nasty with people getting hurt.
Fights in shopping centers between gangs.
Road rage way beyond anything I have ever known as well as ridiculous amounts of people driving whilst obviously stoned out of their heads or drinking and driving or actually driving along with a bottle of VB in their hand with kids in the car with no seatbelts on. Know people that get a 6 pack for their drive home!!!!
Racism from kids actually telling my kids to go back to where they came from, they can only get those opinions from their parents.
Gangs at train stations causing trouble late at night.
My son has been chased at night by gangs and had bottles thrown at him from young adults in cars, a friend of his was mugged coming out of work for $5.00.
A park opposite a house we lived was vandalised, graffiti and block pavers smashed up and thrown they then ran through the suburb screaming, smashing cars and fighting between themselves.
I find there is so much aggression, lots of people are having a rough time here financially and older kids are very, very bored. There is nothing for them to do and the City is too far away for a nightout not to mention expensive so they arrange house parties (gatherings as they like to call them) but they get way out of control, a poor lad had his throat cut recently and every week there are fights, police called, helicopters etc. to break them up, parents are actually hiring security now to try and control the crowds.
Don't get me wrong Perth is amazing for young families but when the kids get older there is no nightlife here for young adults unless they go into the City, no theme parks, concerts are getting better but are too expensive and the best ones are on the East coast which is like flying to Tenerife from the UK to go to a concert for a day!!
Substance abuse is a huge problem as well as alcohol abuse and the bikie wars just seem to be getting worse.
I think I'm trying to say Australia is not paradise, there is a very dark side here and there are lots of problems like anywhere else in the world. Drives me mad when people choose to ignore or pretend it doesn't happen.
I don't think there is anywhere better for open space, beaches, free family events etc. but kids grow out of all that and they need more and it's then, in my opinion, I feel that the UK can offer them so much more than the odd house party at weekend or trip into the City.
So are you returning to the UK ASAP?
Old Oct 18th 2013, 5:06 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked View Post

I'm not sure what relevance this has - the link posted said crime had fallen in the UK and it was noted that it was a good thing. It was also noted that the results were from a survey and not crime stats so were a truer reflection of things.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

munch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nice

Originally Posted by Celticspirit View Post
So are you returning to the UK ASAP?
Our plans are to return one day but for for lots of reasons. Crime is a problem here but it wouldn't make us move back to the UK Asap, it's the same there. Like I say...my point was that problems are the same the world over and this is a great place for younger families so has suited us very well. Living here is a compromise and you miss out on a lot but what Perth offered us a few years ago it no longer does because we are older and so are our kids, nothing wrong with that just moving into a different phase in our lives and now looking forward to the next part of our journey.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by munch View Post
Our plans are to return one day but for for lots of reasons. Crime is a problem here but it wouldn't make us move back to the UK Asap, it's the same there. Like I say...my point was that problems are the same the world over and this is a great place for younger families so has suited us very well. Living here is a compromise and you miss out on a lot but what Perth offered us a few years ago it no longer does because we are older and so are our kids, nothing wrong with that just moving into a different phase in our lives and now looking forward to the next part of our journey.
You do realise the original link says crime has fallen in the UK? I don't get the relevance of saying there's crime everywhere to defend crime falling in the UK
Old Oct 18th 2013, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what relevance this has - the link posted said crime had fallen in the UK and it was noted that it was a good thing. It was also noted that the results were from a survey and not crime stats so were a truer reflection of things.
Not too worry eh? I put up a post and see no reason to explain its 'relevance'.

Relevance has been pretty much done to death on this thread already.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

You do realise the original link says crime has fallen in the UK? I don't get the relevance of saying there's crime everywhere to defend crime falling in the UK
Did it??? No, I didn't realise or even read that but then again it wouldn't have been relevant to my opinion or experiences I was sharing because I wasn't trying to defend crime falling in the UK..I never mentioned that, you did.

I was giving my opinion to the title that asks, Is the situation in the UK really that bad? Not sure what you are on about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.